Do you like Junia?

SEE TOWARD THE BOTTOM OF P. 2 FOR AN UPDATE FROM ME. THANKS!

So, it’s an ancient name that means “born in [name]June[/name]” - which I was - and I think it’s got this cool, romantic vibe to it in a really neat package. It also has one of my favorite sounds - “Ju.”

[name]Do[/name] you like it? [name]How[/name] do you personally pronounce it? Does it fit well as a middle name for [name]Phoebe[/name]?

Get chatting, Berries! Thanks. :slight_smile:

It’s gorgeous! I am loving all the [name]June[/name] alternative names. [name]Juna[/name] and [name]Juni[/name] are super cute too, and I also have a soft spot for [name]Juniper[/name].

I would say JOON-ee-a. Very pretty, ancient yet sunny, and makes a nice middle name for [name]Phoebe[/name]. [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Junia[/name].

I agree, I’d pronounce it JOON-ee-a. With [name]Phoebe[/name], it seems like a mouthful to me. But then, I’m not a big fan of the 2-3 syllable combo. I adore [name]Junia[/name] as a name in general, though! Feminine without being too girly/cutesy.

I really like [name]Junia[/name]. I usually pronounce it ‘Joon-yah’, but used to pronounce it ‘Joon-ee-ah’ and sometimes still do.
I think it goes very nicely with [name]Phoebe[/name]!!

I would say Joon-ee-ah. I think [name]Junia[/name] [name]Pheobe[/name] is lovey :slight_smile: I think [name]Juna[/name] is just as pretty and rolls off the tongue much easier than [name]Junia[/name], but it’s still a nice name!

I like [name]Junia[/name]! (I pronounce it as JOO-nee-uh.)
I think [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Junia[/name] is very pretty, but I still think Phoebe Iris has better flow, IMHO!:wink:

Jew-nee-uh. And I think it’s a gorgeous name. I know a woman from another baby name community who used [name]Junia[/name] Teddye (Teddye was her beloved Grandmother’s name) on her daughter and it was just precious.

I do believe that [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Junia[/name] would sound great together.

joo-nee-ah here as well. I love the name, but don’t think it works well with [name]Phoebe[/name]. both are great names, they just don’t flow.

I like the name in theory (looks lovely written) but have a hard time pronouncing it. Like others, I would say it like [name]Julia[/name] but with an N. My tongue kind of trips on it though. While [name]Phoebe[/name] is currently my favorite girls name, I do not think [name]Phoebe[/name] and [name]Junia[/name] complement each other.

lemon this is how I pronounce it too BUT I would get really ticked off if people started pronouncing it something like junior.

rollo

I agree with gwensmom - it almost looks like either a misspelling of [name]Julia[/name] or as if someone has started with the name [name]June[/name] and tried to spice it up (yes I know it’s genuine but I just can’t quite get past this). [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Junia[/name] sounds a little off to me. I think it’s the ee sound in the middle of [name]Junia[/name] paired with [name]Phoebe[/name]'s double syllable ee sounds: is just a bit too much altogether. [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]June[/name] is very nice sounding imo. [name]Hope[/name] that helps

joo- NEE- ah would have been my first pronunciation. I prefer [name]Juniper[/name] and [name]Juno[/name], but it is a nice name.

[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Junia[/name] doesn’t do a lot for me personally but I have heard a lot worse.

I looooove [name]Junia[/name]! It’s only of my favourites (I adore [name]June[/name] as well).
In English, I say, ‘JOO-nee-ya’… can’t say I really love it as a middle name to [name]Phoebe[/name] though, sorry.

I like it …but I like juna better

I sort of like it, but I can’t get over how close it is to junior - I think this is what a lot of people will hear.

I say (JOON-yah). I love it. [name]One[/name] of my personal favorites. I think it would sound fabulous with [name]Phoebe[/name].

I had never heard this before, but I like it. I especially like what nameberry reported on it- she was the only female apostle mentioned. gasp Very nice name.

I pronounce it JOON-yuh. I knew someone with that last name (and that’s how it was pronounced), so I can’t get past that association enough to judge it objectively. :slight_smile:

Wow, I know what Forum to post threads in now! Thank you so much for all the feedback so quickly, Berries! So, I can’t really respond to all of you individually, but I want to make it known that I hear you!

I tend to say the name like [name]Julia[/name] with an N, too, which, for me, is [[name]JUNE[/name]-ee-ah]. I’m not a [JOOL-ya] girl, so I’m not really a [JOON-ya] girl, either, but I see how maybe the name is easier to pronounce that way. It just sounds so much like an accented version of [name]Junior[/name] to me, though!

Whoever pointed out all the “ee” sounds going on in [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Junia[/name], you’re absolutely right. Which is what makes me want to say [JOON-ya], because it fixes the issue, right? [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Junia[/name] looks really pretty to me. I just don’t know if I like the way it sounds - choppy! - when I say it the way I pronounce [name]Junia[/name]. [name]Junia[/name] doesn’t look made up to me, but the pronunciation doesn’t come naturally, either. I’ve struggled with it for awhile but have been unable to totally attach myself to this name or let it go.

I believe it was @kyemsma who mentioned she prefers [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name] still, which goes back to my other conversation about [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name] versus [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Marigold[/name]. I’ve since nixed [name]Marigold[/name] because she doesn’t feel very much like me, but I don’t know if [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name] has the right energy about her, either, hence my search for other options for the future. In fact, my third favorite girls’ name, [name]Gwendolen[/name], feels much better with [name]Iris[/name] to me - [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Iris[/name] is all at once strong and sturdy, but also romantic and charming. At least I think so! Thus, I’m inclined to dump [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name], but that leaves me searching. I thought I’d found it when I remembered my absolute favorite plant name - [name]Juniper[/name]. [name]Even[/name] though everyone doesn’t seem to love [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name], I really adore it. My only issue is that when paired with my other favorite “future” girls’ names ([name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name] and maybe [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Iris[/name]), the whole thing is pretty theme-y. [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Junia[/name], and [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Iris[/name] fixed that for me. And, someone mentioned [name]Juno[/name] earlier, which I love but am unwilling to pair with [name]Phoebe[/name] - even though [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juno[/name] sounds totally amazing! - because it’s super myth-y. Right?! So, I thought of [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Juno[/name], which moves [name]Iris[/name] - for my Grandma [name]Irene[/name], who passed recently - back to [name]Phoebe[/name], which results in a possible sister set of [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name], and [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Juno[/name]. Two things - (1) [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name] is the only non-mythological combination, and (2) is it me or does [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name] lack a bit of the vivacious flair that [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name] and [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Juno[/name] have?

So, there you have the full story. [name]Feel[/name] free to chime in with your thoughts!

[name]Lemon[/name]