Do you think Sarah is too 'plain'?

[name_f]Sarah[/name_f] was my favourite name as a young child, and it currently sits on my GP list…namely due to popularity. Looking at my state’s 2014 name list, it’s fallen outside the top 50. This - based on my own naming criteria - means I might consider it usable again.

But do you think it’s too plain? Too common? Too universally popular? Give me your thoughts!

I don’t think [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] is too plain. I honestly find it super refreshing especially with all the cutesy/kreatyve spellings that are out there nowadays. I don’t think it’s too common either, particularly among new babies. I’m thinking of every [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] I know right now, and the youngest one is in her late 20’s. I don’t think it’s too universally popular either. I would characterize it more as ‘familiar’ than popular, and I think the familiarity works in its favor. It feels almost like a breath of fresh air.

I think [name_f]Sara[/name_f]/h is a classic name and it is pretty and has a pretty name.
I just have bad associations with it so I wouldn’t use it.
I think meeting a baby [name_f]Sara[/name_f]/h would be awesome!

I’ve heard [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] described as a “little black dress” name, and I think that sums it up pretty well. It’s a classic, go-to staple that every girl can use without being just generic ([name_f]Jane[/name_f] and [name_f]Ann[/name_f] get a little too close to this line IMHO). Most of the Sarahs I know are in their thirties, but I also know of a teen [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] and an 8 (maybe 10) year old [name_f]Sarah[/name_f].

Honestly, I find it too plain; but that’s my personal opinion.

I guess there’s nothing I can point my finger at, except that I’ve met many, many, many [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]'s.

I love [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]! Despite all the rabidly popular names from my generation, I never really knew that many Sarahs, and it still stands out as a beautiful classic to me. I had it on my own list for a long while, and I still like the combos I had picked out ([name_f]Sarah[/name_f] [name_u]Delaney[/name_u] and [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f]). I’m not sure I’d use it now, but I don’t find [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] plain at all–in the same way that I don’t find [name_m]Henry[/name_m] or [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] or [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] plain. They seem rather dull or just there, until you really notice them, and then you can’t stop noticing them. They’re part timeless, part quirky, part homey–at least, for me–and I love that about them! I feel the same way about [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]. I would love to know more little Sarahs, and the few that I’ve met in the past few years have been really adorable and sweet, which only makes me love the name more. :slight_smile:

I do know a lot of [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]'s, the youngest being about 8.
A few were double-barreled names like [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f].

I like the comparison of [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] being the “little black dress” of names. That really fits perfectly. It’s a staple.

I am a [name_f]Sara[/name_f], and for I time I was a double barreled [name_f]Sara[/name_f] [name_f]Beth[/name_f] since there was always another [name_f]Sara[/name_f] in my class. The only thing that ever bothered me about my name is the popularity, I was born in 1987 when it was ranked no. 5. I love the “little black dress” illustration and I definitely think [name_f]Sara[/name_f] is a timeless classic. I did always wish for a longer middle though, [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] always sounded so refined to me.

I love the name [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]. It used to be quite popular, but now as you said, it’s not, and would be a beautiful choice for a little girl!

I’ve met several Sarahs. It’s dated.

To me, it is way too popular. In school, I had at least 3 friends named [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]. There were also many others. I have the name [name_f]Sarai[/name_f] on my list, though.

The “little black dress” is the perfect description for [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]. It’s a classic name-it’s only ever been out of the top 100 in the U.S. during the 1950’s, it’s popular,yes, but never trendy. I don’t find it plain at all. I think it’s a wonderful choice!

One of my best friends name is [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] and I think with how many parents are striving to be different this is a refreshing name (don’t get me wrong, I love uncommon names). I think describing it as a “little black dress” name is perfect. I think it ages well and fits with a huge variety of personality’s. It also doesn’t feel dated to me like so many other names ([name_f]Caitlyn[/name_f], [name_f]Amanda[/name_f], [name_f]Heather[/name_f], [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] for example). Paired with a more uncommon and spunky middle name could really make it pop as well :slight_smile:

It’s possible that I grew up in a really [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]-intensive pocket of the world, but I swear, it seemed like every second girl I met as a child/teen was named [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]. To me it’s really plain because I’ve met so many of them - it has no sparkle to me. I would consider maybe [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] a “little black dress” name (great analogy!) but [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] feels beige and bland to me.

I love the “little black dress” comparison. I would liken it to [name_f]Alice[/name_f], in the sense that it’s common enough to be well-known but not as oversaturated as “[name_f]Sophia[/name_f]” or “[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]”. I think they’re both lovely names that are probably due for a comeback. I don’t see any problem in using it.

I think the fact that it’s biblical really distinguishes it from other names that used to be popular. It’s less trendy and more perpetually classy, [name_f]IMO[/name_f].

I find it truly beautiful. It’s also extremely international. Although it will be spelled differently (mostly saah-rah in non-English speaking parts of the world), it will be recognizable everywhere, and beloved by people of Jewish, [name_m]Christian[/name_m], Muslim and probably several other religions.

It’s a great choice, says I!

Although I agree it’s classic and a solid choice, I don’t see why it would be anyone’s first choice. I have three [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]'s in my English class alone. No one can mention the name [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] in a conversation without someone replying “Which one?”. What’s the fun in that?

I haven’t met as many [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]'s as I have Jennifers, Jackies, or Kellys, and the only [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] I know who is younger than 25 is a very lovely 9 year old. The rampant popularity of the name was also because of the alternate spellings [name_f]Sara[/name_f] and [name_f]Sarah[/name_f].

[name_f]Sarah[/name_f] is a perfect name. I love it. You could also consider [name_f]Sera[/name_f], [name_f]Serah[/name_f] or [name_f]Saara[/name_f] if you wanted to liven up the spelling. Personally I like [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] as is, though I also like the names [name_f]Zara[/name_f] and Zaara on their own, as well, and pronounce it [name_m]ZAIR[/name_m]-ah not ZAH-rah.

Never!!! [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] is a stunning, sweet, lovely classic.

[name_f]Sarah[/name_f] had been my favorite name for my entire life until a few years ago, when I finally decided that realistically it’s WAYYY too common for me to ever use. Thank you for this post though, because it is looking like it was SUCH a popular name that now it’s waning a little… maybe I should put it back on my list too!