Does Anyone Know What Ingrid Means?

Post deleted

I am not sure the correct meaning…I hear/read “beautiful” the most, followed by “meadow”

I think it is a great way to honor someone (through the meaning) and still end up with a beautiful name.

Behind the Name is the most reliable name database out there, so “Ing is beautiful” is definitely the meaning I would trust. [name]Claudie[/name] [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Ingrid[/name] is lovely!

I’m not 100% positive, but I did some research (aka google) and I’m fairly certain that Behind the Name has it right on this one. There was definitely a legendary Germanic Ing, who is sometimes listed as a god and predecessor to Freyr, and other times listed as a hero. So it would make sense to me that behindthename has the correct definition based on that evidence. And, like irisrose said, it is the most reliable source when it comes to origins.
In regards to your other questions, I think that’s actually a great way to honor someone! And I checked [name]Shirley[/name]'s meaning on behindthename as well, and it said “bright clearing” which is essentially the same thing as “[name]Meadow[/name],” but may open up a few more options to you.

Post deleted

I recently stumbled across something that might be interesting to you (at least it was to me). I am in the process of reading J.R.R Tolkien’s “On [name]Fairy[/name] Stories”. Tolkien was (and still is) considered an authority on ancient languages and mythologies. In reference to the classic tale “Beowolf”, Tolkien wrote, “The great enemy of [name]King[/name] Hrothgar was Froda, [name]King[/name] of the Heathobards. Yet of Hrothgar’s daughter Freawaru we hear echoes of a strange tale - not a usual one in Northern heroic legend: the son of the enemy of her house, Ingeld son of Froda, fell in love with her and wedded her, disasterously. But that is extremely interesting and significant. In the background of the ancient feud looms the figure of that god whom the Norsemen called [name]Frey[/name] (the [name]Lord[/name]) or Yngvi-frey, and the Angles called Ing: a god of the ancient Northern mythology (and religion) of Fertility and Corn. The emnity of the royal houses was connected with the sacred site of a cult of that religion. Ingeld and his father bear names belonging to it. Freawaru herself is named ‘Protection of the [name]Lord[/name] (of [name]Frey[/name])’.”

In looking at some other sources, it appears that Ingvi-frey might have historically been a Nordic king whose reign was synonomous with prosperity and joy. However the names ‘Ing’ and ‘[name]Frey[/name]’ seem to go even futher back in Norse and Germanic Mythologies. According to Behindthename.com, Ing is “From the Germanic *Ingwaz, possibly meaning “ancestor”. This was the name of an obscure old Germanic fertility god who was considered the ancestor of the tribe the Ingaevones. It is possible he was an earlier incarnation of the god Freyr.”

Another favorite name site/blog of mine is Legitimate [name]Baby[/name] Names. (Ingrid | Legitimate Baby Names) Here is what she writes on [name]Ingrid[/name]: “The name is composed of the Old Norse elements Ing which is derived from the name of a divinity, Ingwaz, an ancient Germanic fertility god. He was an obscure god who was considered the progenitor of the Ingaevones, a Germanic tribe. Though not much is known of him, he seems to have left his mark on many classic Scandinavian names: [name]Ingmar[/name], Ingri, [name]Inga[/name], [name]Inger[/name], [name]Ingela[/name] and of course [name]Ingrid[/name] to name a few.
The second part of the name is from the Old Norse word fr”r meaning beautiful.
In [name]Sweden[/name] and Norway, [name]Ingrid[/name] is rather timeless. It has never seemed to have gone out of style and remains in the popularity charts as of last year.”

I hope that some of this information helps. I’m afraid that I cannot confirm the meaning to be “meadow”, but it does seem to imply a meaning of prosperity and beauty, which is not all that bad. I think [name]Ingrid[/name] is a really neat name with an awesome back-story and history, so if you love it, go for it.

To answer your other question about sound, “[name]Claudie[/name] [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Ingrid[/name]” doesn’t exactly have to best flow to my ears. Something about the ending of [name]Claudie[/name] being a vowel and flowing into the vowel beginning of [name]Elinor[/name] (the same problem is present with [name]Ingrid[/name] if switched). It’s not entirely perfect, but that’s my opinion (I personally almost prefer the flow of ‘[name]Ingrid[/name] [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Claudie[/name]’ or ‘[name]Elinor[/name] [name]Ingrid[/name] [name]Claudie[/name]’). If you love the name and it holds that special meaning to you, by all means, go ahead and use it.

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

“Clearing” could open up the whole [name]Claire[/name] family, because [name]Claire[/name] means “Clear, bright, famous.” Obviously it’s a different type of Clear than “Clearing,” but I think of it as the name equivalent of a pun. And because [name]Claire[/name] also means “[name]Bright[/name],” you don’l have to use [name]Eleanor[/name] unless you want. So I guess it gives you the options of [name]Claire[/name], [name]Clara[/name], [name]Clarisse[/name], [name]Chiara[/name], etc.

Wow, it took me too long to put that lost post together - there weren’t any replies to the original post when I started. :slight_smile:

I looked up meadow on Legitimate [name]Baby[/name] Names and I got a rather obscure name as a result. I am not sure if it’s something that you’ll like or not, but here it is.

Aasa
Origin: Estonian
Meaning: ”meadow.”
(AAH-sah)
The name may have originally been an Estonian form of the Scandinavian ”sa, but has come to be associated with the Estonian word aas (meadow).
The designated name-day is [name]May[/name] 6.
Other forms include: Aase, Asse.

Sources
1.Estonian Name Days - Behind the Name
2.Aasa - Wiktionary

Hey, [name]Laura[/name]!

No, I think this is a fine way to honor [name]Shirley[/name] Seabourne, for sure, and I love the sound of [name]Claudie[/name] [name]Elinor[/name]. However, I can’t find any basis for [name]Ingrid[/name] meaning “meadow” - I keep getting the “beautiful” meaning in my searches! - and I’m not in love with the sound of [name]Claudie[/name] [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Ingrid[/name] [name]Morgan[/name]. [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Ingrid[/name] feels a bit clunky to me, and the flow just isn’t right - I can’t put my finger on it! Sorry…

Anyway, I was looking into other ways to get to “meadow,” since I agree using [name]Meadow[/name] itself is a bit odd for your taste, and I found [name]Abilene[/name]. Now, I’ve got a source saying it means “meadow,” and NB lists it as meaning “grass,” so I’m thinking it is rather accurate. I think [name]Claudie[/name] [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Abilene[/name] [name]Morgan[/name] is actually pretty cute! What do you think? You might also like [name]Clover[/name], which I’ve found to mean “flower of the meadow,” and [name]Claudie[/name] [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Clover[/name], though not wonderful, could be improved to [name]Claudie[/name] [name]Eleanora[/name] [name]Clover[/name], though that gets rid of your Welsh direct link. Hm. Yes, [name]Claudie[/name] [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Abilene[/name] is by far my favorite option for you!

[name]Lauren[/name]

I love [name]Claudie[/name] [name]Elinor[/name]! I think either using a name meaning “meadow” or starting with an S would be a GREAT way to honor [name]Shirley[/name]…especially because you said she did not particularly love her her name.

I looked up meadow on http://www.babynamespedia.com/search/f/meadow
and I like [name]Ainsley[/name], [name]Kenley[/name], and maybe [name]Riley[/name] for those options. Of ones you listed, I think [name]Leigh[/name] doesn’t sound bad.

[name]Claudie[/name] [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Ainsley[/name] M
[name]Claudie[/name] [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Kenley[/name] M
[name]Claudie[/name] [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Riley[/name] M
[name]Claudie[/name] [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] M

S names since she did have the initials SS
[name]Claudie[/name] [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Selene[/name]
[name]Claudie[/name] [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Celeste[/name] (I know it’s not an S, but it has that sound)
[name]Claudie[/name] [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Sylvia[/name] or [name]Sophia[/name]
[name]Claudie[/name] [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Sloane[/name]
[name]Claudie[/name] [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Skye[/name] (the last 2 are prob not your style cause they aren’t completely mine and I think we have similiar likes/dislikes, but I feel like a one syllable 2nd middle name works here)
[name]Claudie[/name] [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Sarah[/name]
[name]Claudie[/name] [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Savannah[/name]

Have you considered [name]Sydney[/name]- it means “wide meadow” in English

Post deleted

@katiesff - No I didn’t know [name]Sydney[/name] meant that? What website says that? Nameberry says something about St [name]Denis[/name] and behindthename says it means wide island! Like I said my [name]MIL[/name]'s maiden name began with “sid” so that’d have some personal meaning, plus we want to move to Australia in a couple of years :wink: [name]Sydney[/name]'s not my usual style though, I tend to prefer pretty and feminine!

Post deleted

[name]Hi[/name] ljandrl,

I thought that Aasa might have been a little too much. :slight_smile:

I found the Old English Translator to be very interesting (fascinating, actually). When you said that it was from the north and east dialect, it reminded me of something that I am interested in; Fingolian Culture - or a blend of Nordic and Celtic influences. (The likeliest places that the Vikings would have visited are the northern and the eastern parts of the island.) Personally I am attracted to names of this sort because my side of the family is English and my DH’s side is Swedish. I also really like how so many Scandinavian names are combinations of words from the Old Norse language. I think that because of the translator, you could use the name [name]Ingrid[/name] to mean; Ing - meadow (old english) and -rid - beautiful (old norse). Since the cultures had at one point merged, it could very well be a valid meaning.

As an example, one of my own favorite names, Eirwen, is technically Welsh for ‘snow white’ ([name]Eir[/name] - snow, wen -white). Which is a beautiful meaning. However, the name took on a more personal meaning to me when I looked at the Scandinavian origins of the same name elements. [name]Eir[/name] is an old Norse (lesser) goddess of healing and herbal arts. The name [name]Eir[/name] itself means ‘protection, mercy, and help’. I don’t know if the name element ‘-wen’ originates from any other language other than Welsh. But, if I take what I know of Tolkien’s Elvish languages (which is largely based on the ancient Nordic languages), I find that ‘-wen’ in a name is typically used to mean ‘maiden’. So to me, the name Eirwen takes on the meaning ‘healing maiden’, which is extemely powerful to me personally.

I don’t know if any of that helps at all with your decision. But I do think that if you still really love the name [name]Ingrid[/name], you should use it. You have done your research and found that ‘meadow’ could be validated, so I see no problem in using it to mean that. After all, it’s what the name says to you personally that really matters.

Post deleted

[name]Laura[/name] -

I like [name]Claudie[/name] [name]Seren[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] but I’d make it [name]Claudie[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Seren[/name] - oh, maybe that isn’t best with [name]Morgan[/name]? Anyway, I don’t think that is quite as vintage as some of your other choices, but it is pretty! I think I found [name]Abilene[/name] meaning “meadow” on babynames.com. I say it as [ah-beh-LEEN], with three syllables, and I think [name]Claudie[/name] [name]Elinor[/name] [name]Abilene[/name] is just slightly better, but not really significantly better, than [name]Claudie[/name] [name]Abilene[/name] [name]Elinor[/name]…

[name]Lauren[/name] ([name]Lemon[/name])

Post deleted

Oh, I’d never think to pronounce [name]Seren[/name] like [name]Loren[/name]! Interesting you mention that. Ha!

Um, the most vintage S name I can think of is [name]Susannah[/name], and [name]Claudie[/name] [name]Seren[/name] [name]Susannah[/name] is actually pretty cute! [name]Shoshana[/name], a variant of [name]Susannah[/name], is really fun, too. [name]Don[/name]'t have time right now to ponder this issue more, sadly. Talk later!

L

Post deleted