Does anyone like Mildred?

I feel like I’m in the extreme minority with this name… almost delusional about it :slight_smile: Does anyone else out there like this name?
I know it’s old fashioned, but [name]Florence[/name], [name]Esther[/name], [name]Hazel[/name], even [name]Maude[/name] are seen alot today. I really feel like [name]Mildred[/name] is ready for a comeback.

I don’t care for it. It’s the “dread” at the end, just seems like a terrible sound to put on a kid! I think I’m in the minority too that dislike the nickname [name]Millie[/name]/[name]Milly[/name], so it’s just all-around not good for me.

I don’t hate it… and I can see where it might have some future potential…plus, I usually think there’s something to be said for being the only fill in the name in your class… I don’t know, all I can say is I don’t hate it, but I might come around one way or the other with more thought!

Nope! Sorry [name]Theresa[/name] hehe. Although I don’t hate it as much as [name]Maude[/name]! I do like [name]Millicent[/name] though :slight_smile: I think it’s adorable and light feeling, but [name]Mildred[/name] feels so heavy and musty. I also hear the word ‘dread’ in it which I don’t like for obvious reasons. I’m sure you’re not alone though because as with everything else in life, one person’s trash is another’s treasure so to speak :slight_smile:

It’s just…mildewy… to me, I guess. Can’t get behind this one.

[name]Millicent[/name] has a softer sound than [name]Mildred[/name] in my opinion. It’s definitely the ending for me. Whereas [name]Mildred[/name] is abrupt, [name]Millicent[/name] has a gentler feel. [name]Mildred[/name] reminds me of names like [name]Gladys[/name], [name]Eunice[/name], [name]Ethel[/name] and [name]Beulah[/name] - all of which are not ready for a comeback (I hope)! :slight_smile:

I may come around to [name]Millicent[/name], but it reminds me of “Militant”
the “dread” ending is a little frumpy, I would agree there. I think a little girl could pull it off though.

I should have said in my original message that I am completely OK if you comment and bash the name. I did say I feel almost delusional about the name and maybe eventually all the negative comments will sink in. They obviously do because I have 4 girls none named [name]Mildred[/name] :wink: I just keep coming back to it and feel like I need to say yes or no for good!

I actually like it. I think it’s cute. [name]Maude[/name], on the otherhand, horrid. I do like [name]Millicent[/name] as well.

Not really, as someone else said the dread part does it in for me. Plus [name]Millicent[/name] is much better.

Ha! I was right, [name]Theresa[/name]! [name]Mildred[/name]'s a bit of a dud. No, I’m kidding - sort of…

[name]Mila[/name], [name]Milena[/name], and [name]Milla[/name] are better options with more “commercial” appeal than [name]Mildred[/name], I think. Oh, and [name]Millicent[/name], but I think these others are a bit more fun. [name]Milena[/name] has a great meaning, too - “love, warmth, grace.”

No… sorry. It sounds like a combination of mildew and dread squished together. [name]Millie[/name] is an okay nickname though.

Hmm… I sort of have a weird inclination to like this name, probably similar to the feelings you have towards it. It’s a name that was once SO well loved and now so out of favor… what’s up with that?

I also loveeeee [name]Maud[/name] and [name]Millicent[/name]… so maybe I am just the weird one.

I put [name]Mildred[/name] in the same category as [name]Dorcas[/name]. I like them both for inexplicable reasons, but I would never use them. I do sort of like the idea of 5 sisters with the youngest being a little [name]Maud[/name], [name]Millicent[/name], [name]Dorcas[/name] or [name]Mildred[/name] though… I am just as delusional as you! :shock:

I actually do like [name]Mildred[/name]. I pronounce it mil-DRID so I’m not getting the “dread” at the end. The nickname [name]Milly[/name] is cute.

I like [name]Mildred[/name] too, and like the last commenter, I pronounce it [name]Mil[/name]-Drid, so I don’t get “dread” either. This isn’t a name I would personally use, but I would love to see it on someone else! The best part is that you can always call her [name]Millie[/name], which is actually coming back into the mainstream. [name]Millicent[/name] would be a good alternative if you find yourself unable to use this.

I like [name]Mildred[/name] and the nn [name]Millie[/name] as well.
It fits with other names I like:
[name]Enid[/name], [name]Edith[/name], [name]Matilda[/name], [name]Esther[/name] and [name]Gertrude[/name].
I also pronounce this name mill-drid.

I think most people pronounce it mill-drid. I do. I’m glad a few people like it.

[name]Lemon[/name],
I like [name]Milena[/name] and [name]Milla[/name] too, but I think they’re both too close to [name]Fiona[/name].

You know, I’m struggling with how to pronounce [name]Milena[/name], which I know doesn’t help you. I’ve heard [MEE-leh-nah], [mih-[name]LAY[/name]-nuh], and [mih-leh-nah]. Can’t decide which I like best - what do you think? You’re probably right about them being too close to [name]Fiona[/name], though. I’d prefer [name]Gwendolen[/name]/[name]Jessamine[/name]/[name]Evangeline[/name]/[name]Olive[/name]/[name]Hazel[/name] if given the choice, if only for the unique end sound…

L

Mildew + Dread= [name]Mildred[/name].

I’m really not a fan of this name. But for people to like it, they have to hear it a lot, so i guess somebodys gotta bring it back :slight_smile:

[name]Mildred[/name] is a VERY common name amongst women in my culture so I could very well be biased towards my feeling on the name. Most of the mildreds that I know are downright mean and sharp women- think Cruella deville; and because of this, I cring anytime I hear the name. I can however, see it being cute on a little girl- particularly if you can give her a nickname like “millie”.