does anyone LIKE this name?

Alright, so I am sure everyone may be getting sick of me posting about boy names…but this baby could come any day now and my husband and I are no closer to picking a name than we were 9 months ago. He has been stuck on the name [name]Jace[/name] for months and I originally wasn’t that opposed to it but after reading peoples opinions about it on this site and others I was turned off. Now I am wondering if I was possibly reading too much into others’ opinions and may have been too quick to write off a name my husband loves. Well anyway, my question is: are there any people who like this name?? And if yes, do you mind giving your reasons? I think I may feel differently about it if I knew there were a few other people out there (besides my husband) that like it. Thanks.

A friend of mine named her 2 year old [name]Jace[/name]. Before that I had never heard the name. To me its an updated chase. His name is easy to pronounce and everyone in my moms group seems to like it. I’m having a boy in feb and the only name my partner will consider I’d Lightning. I wish my partner would be hot on jace.

I also thought of it as an update on [name]Chase[/name], and I like [name]Jace[/name] better than [name]Chase[/name] (not that I abhor either, although I prefer more classic names myself). I don’t think anything negative about it, and it kind of reminds me of a short-form for [name]Jason[/name]. If it were a nickname for something more traditional, I’d like it even better . . . but that’s just me! :slight_smile: good luck!

A little “trendy” for my tastes…hard to imagine a grown-up [name]Jace[/name]. For the same sound I would have personally gone with J.C. initials ([name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Cooper[/name] for example) and nicknamed him J.C. or "[name]Jace[/name]…

[name]Hi[/name] there I automatically thought it was a nickname for [name]Jason[/name].

Why not name him [name]Jason[/name] and nn him [name]Jace[/name]? If you do that you have given him a classic name (which I feel is important later in life when you are applying for jobs as [name]Jason[/name] will look good on a cv, it is a strong sounding classic name) and yet your husband has the name he wants too.

[name]Jason[/name] is my vote!

There was a guy in my high school named [name]Jacey[/name]. Not sure if that was his name or if it was just J.C. anyway I liked it and still do. [name]Jace[/name] is a bit short and does sound like it should be a nickname for a longer name. I was looking for alternatives to [name]Jason[/name] lately and found the name [name]Jacen[/name]. Brace yourself for ultra dorky comment…NOW! [name]Jacen[/name] and Jaina were twins and children of [name]Hans[/name] & [name]Leia[/name] Solo from [name]Star[/name] Wars. Sorry I just had to had my current knowledge on the name.

My cousin’s little boy name is [name]Jace[/name]. I didn’t love it at first, but now I do. Maybe you can compromise with your husband and give [name]Jace[/name] as a middle name, if you don’t love it as his first. Good luck!

Thanks for the opinions everyone. Still not sure what we are going to do yet. I have thought of giving our son a name that would have “[name]Jace[/name]” as the nn, but [name]Jason[/name] unfortunately wont work. My husband’s cousin married a [name]Jason[/name] and although we never ever see them I still don’t like the idea of giving our son the exact same name of someone else in the family. I have tried to think of possible other names [name]Jace[/name] could be short for but haven’t had any luck. Someone else suggested [name]Jackson[/name] once but my good friend recently announced that is what she and her husband are naming their son…so thats out too. Are there any other possible names it would work as a nn for?

I think that [name]Jace[/name] can also possibly be derived from [name]Jacob[/name], although it’s the #1 name and seemingly has been since the Pleistocene [name]Era[/name]. :slight_smile: I think that [name]Jasper[/name] could work, too.

Have you thought about giving your baby the initials JC for [name]Jace[/name]?

[name]Jasper[/name] [name]Charles[/name]
[name]James[/name] [name]Conrad[/name] or [name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Jameson[/name] [name]Charles[/name] (or [name]Cole[/name] for something more modern sounding)
[name]Julian[/name] [name]Charles[/name]
[name]John[/name] [name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Jonah[/name] [name]Charles[/name]
[name]Jefferson[/name] [name]Chase[/name] (J + the ase ending sound gives you [name]Jace[/name]…)

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I second the idea of giving your son the initials J.C. and calling him [name]Jace[/name]. That way he’ll have lots of choices.

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Jill[/name]'s idea of [name]Jefferson[/name] [name]Chase[/name]. I don’t even like the name [name]Chase[/name], but it sounds great as a middle name and gives you [name]Jace[/name] quite easily. Very clever!

Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate everyone’s honest opinion. I think you all make very good points. I understand how it would not sound like a grown-up name to some people but I have trouble fully agreeing with that simply because the very first time I heard the name was on a grown man. He was actually a very successful/professional business man (who was very handsome I might add) and when he handed me his card I saw [name]Jace[/name] ____. So I immediately had a positive association with the name because of that. I also agree that it does sound like a nickname for something else but I can’t decide whether that fully bothers me either. [name]Both[/name] my mother and my sister-in-law happen to have names that are more commonly used as nn for something longer. Neither of them have had any trouble professionally and while they both get the occasional question of whether their name is actually the longer version, it doesnt bother either of them when they do have to correct people. So I guess I just have to decide whether or not those two factors bother me. Thank you all again for the input!

Also, [name]Jill[/name] thank you for your suggestions. Very creative!!! I do like the name [name]Jefferson[/name] [name]Chase[/name]…but I am wondering if people will start calling him [name]Jeff[/name]…which I am not too crazy about. Maybe if he already was called [name]Jace[/name] no one would make the association…

This is true. We have named our daughter [name]Jocelyn[/name], but even before she was born we called her Jocie (pronounced like [name]Josie[/name]) and everyone calls her that, but she still has a more “sophisticated” name for later in life that won’t have the “and the Pussycats” connotation on business cards.

I hear this a lot but I also hear in your case that [name]Jason[/name] is not ‘the’ name for you. I don’t think it matters at all if there are lots of one name in a family, quite often it is to honour someone and if it is just because you like the name that is okay too. If you are talking to this relative with this name just let it drop that ‘their’ name is on your list.
Good luck!

PS [name]Remember[/name] no one really has a single right to use a name in the family it is up for grabs. I cannot understand why there would be angst. If there are two [name]Daniels[/name] who are cousins, so what, both sets of parents obviously love the name. C’est La Vie.

Thanks, Lamps. :slight_smile:

To the original poster: You’re welcome! You need to do what’s right for you, whatever that may be. :slight_smile: I was thinking that you’d call him [name]Jace[/name] right away, so that’s what he’d be called, but he’d also have a different name to fall back on. Any JC combo would work!

Good luck to you! :slight_smile:

To add to the above: I just saw that [name]Rainy[/name] [name]Day[/name] wrote about J.C. initials early in the thread, but I’d missed it. (Sorry, [name]Rainy[/name]!)

I also want to suggest a J name with [name]Mason[/name] in the middle, despite [name]Mason[/name]'s popularity.

I think you could use [name]Jude[/name] [name]Mason[/name], for example, and use the J and the ase sound for [name]Jace[/name]. (Unless, of course, you’re going to go with [name]Jace[/name].) :slight_smile:

Good luck!

i like jace and considered it for our son. i do think it sounds like a nn for jason. i don’t think it is too trendy, and i think it is a nice solid boy name. i can also see it as a grown up name. it’s handsome and cool.

If you like [name]Jace[/name], USE IT!!! I personally don’t put much stock into people’s opinions on this site because there are a lot of naming trends that people get stuck on. If it seems trendy, people automatically dismiss it. I think [name]Jace[/name] is a great alternative to [name]Chase[/name]/[name]Chace[/name] and is not outdated or overused–which means that it is a great name!

I agree with lonniecate, one combo that comes to mind is [name]Jace[/name] [name]Charlton[/name] it sounds very handsome to me, very modern and yet on a cv a power kind of name. If your child down the track wants a more formal name then [name]Charlton[/name] is a great name and the nn of [name]Charlie[/name] is right at the top of my list.

Does [name]Jace[/name] [name]Charlton[/name] make it onto your list?

Best wishes go with your heart.

PS I use my mn all the time and only family or special friends call me by my first name. I have no problem with the two groups calling me by different names when we meet together. The reason that I use my mn was that I didn’t like the nn I was given. I love my full name though.

I am not suggesting that he use [name]Charlton[/name] full time because [name]Jace[/name] is an edgy, handsome name but if he wanted to make the change I just wanted to say it hasn’t caused me any problems.