Does Elsie make you think of a cow?

I’m 33 yo and had never heard of [name]Elsie[/name] the [name]Borden[/name] cow. We’re thinking of naming our daughter [name]Elyse[/name] and calling her [name]Elsie[/name] for short (actually, I like the spelling [name]Elsy[/name]).

Our parents and grandparents are horrified by “[name]Elsie[/name].” Our friends, like us, had never heard of the cow.

What do you all think?

I have to say that yes, I do think of a cow, I think [name]Elsie[/name] is cute! At one point, I thought of [name]Bess[/name]/[name]Bessie[/name] as a bovine name, too, but after I met a darling [name]Bess[/name], that all changed.

Different people obviously have different associations with different names, (I’m basically your age, by the way), but for what it’s worth, if I met a darling [name]Elsie[/name], I know I’d think of her, and not the cow.

:slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I’m 23, and I do recall the cow, but that’s not the first thing I’d think of about the name [name]Elsie[/name]. I think it’s really adorable!

It doesn’t matter but I do. Cows have ok names like [name]Bessie[/name] and [name]Daisy[/name] also.

When I see it with out a face I do kind of think of a cow BUT I know a little girl named [name]Elsa[/name] that sometimes goes by [name]Elsie[/name] and I think it is very cute. I say go for it!

I really love [name]Elsa[/name], nn [name]Elsie[/name], Zard! :slight_smile:

I don’t at all :slight_smile: [name]Elsie[/name] is precious!

I from [name]CA[/name] and was born in the 70’s and I do not think of a cow when I hear [name]Elsie[/name]. I have heard of the milk advertising mentioned in name posts related to this name but my impression is that it is a fairly out of date reference.

A little bit, it does. It also makes me think of elbows.

But, I can overcome those images and think it’s cute too.

The images are not overwhelmingly negative, as say “[name]Adolph[/name]” or “Osama” might be. They are harmless.

Ooooh, [name]Elsa[/name] might be a good name. My husband isn’t wild about [name]Elyse[/name] (I think it’s absolutely stunning, he thinks it sounds “stuck up”), so we came up with the nickname [name]Elsie[/name], which we both like. But [name]Elsie[/name] flows more naturally from [name]Elsa[/name] …

Middle name will be [name]Lyons[/name], last name is two syllables and starts with an L, too. What do you think? [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Lyons[/name] L-------.

I’m 26, and it does for some reason. As [name]Jill[/name] said, it reminda me of [name]Bessie[/name].

Oh, and big brother is [name]Owen[/name] [name]Thomas[/name], if it makes a difference …

[name]Elsie[/name], like [name]Bessie[/name], does bring to mind a cow. But I think both names are awesome and that shouldn’t deter you.

People use the names [name]Daisy[/name] and [name]Minnie[/name] these days, without being horrified that people will think of a duck or a mouse. A good name is a good name, [name]IMO[/name]. (Maybe it would be different if her name were Hitler or something really extreme.) :slight_smile:

I have to admit that I did think of the cow at first glance (I’m around your age), but I’ve also noticed that once I meet a person with a name associated with something not completely flattering, the association tends to vanish. I am guessing that people would be charmed by your [name]Elsie[/name] – and her nn-- and not give the cow a second thought.

I had the same problem. I liked the name [name]Clarabelle[/name] but couldn’t get over the association with the disney character.

I think a good compromise is to make the full name [name]Elsa[/name] and nn [name]Elsie[/name]. Very Cute!

I’m 27, and the name doesn’t make me think of the cow. Actually, [name]Elsie[/name] makes me think of our local sub shop ([name]Elsie[/name]'s) more than anything else.

Yes, honestly- it does make me think of a cow.

Only for the fact that my Grandmother’s nick-name is [name]Elsie[/name] and she got that name beccause she was chubby as a child (or fat like a cow)… and the name just stuck! She’s 82 now and most of her family still calls her [name]Elsie[/name] instead of her given name- [name]Alice[/name]!

not for me - i’m canadian, 30. i have another association, but it’s family related. elsie was actually very high on our list, as well (as well as elsa) - we are going with eloise.

i didnt until you posted this…sorry

I have a good friend named [name]Elsie[/name], and it’s adorable! I think there will inevitably be the cow association (she was definitely teased a bit, though not intensely), but it will fade. It’s a great name, with a lot of character. (My friend loves her name) I agree with the suggestion of [name]Elsa[/name], though [name]Elyse[/name] is pretty too!