Does My Taste In Girls Names Make Me Totally Insane?

While I really have no explanation for it, my taste in girls names has maintained it’s vintage style, but, it’s also now headed down a slippery slope of clunky choices that most people would run away screaming from. There are some names that I like but won’t add to my list, because I know they’re bordering on “child cruelty” to most people (yes, I have seen the child cruelty comment before), but there are also some that I’ve quickly fallen in love with, even though most people would question my sanity if they saw my list.

I guess what I’m asking is, do these newest additions to my list make me entirely insane? Or at least seem insane for considering them? Haha.

[name_f]Bessie[/name_f]
[name_f]Doris[/name_f]
[name_f]Ethel[/name_f]
[name_f]Mildred[/name_f]
[name_f]Minnie[/name_f]
[name_f]Maude[/name_f]
[name_f]Myrtle[/name_f]
[name_f]Frances[/name_f]
[name_f]Dottie[/name_f]
[name_f]Florrie[/name_f]

(And I actually don’t mind [name_f]Bertha[/name_f] and [name_f]Edna[/name_f] either.)

Absolutely not! They have all been used previously for a reason, no? While not all of them are to my taste (which doesn’t matter at all), they are all lovely names, and anyone who comments that it is ‘child cruelty’ clearly doesn’t know what that is, and needs to check their priorities. I think you have a wonderful old world style, and you should be proud of that.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourites:
[name_f]Bessie[/name_f]
[name_f]Doris[/name_f]- I used to not like it, but you have single handedly changed my mind.
[name_f]Minnie[/name_f]
[name_f]Maude[/name_f]
[name_f]Myrtle[/name_f]- Ditto [name_f]Doris[/name_f].
[name_f]Frances[/name_f]
[name_f]Dottie[/name_f]
[name_f]Florrie[/name_f]

I would personally love to have any one of these names: you should definitely stick to your guns!

Definitely not insane. I like [name_f]Bessie[/name_f], [name_f]Ethel[/name_f] (character in my fave book), [name_f]Mildred[/name_f], [name_f]Minnie[/name_f], [name_f]Florrie[/name_f], and [name_f]Frances[/name_f] ([name_u]Love[/name_u]!!!). That’s not to mention [name_f]Phyllis[/name_f], [name_f]Millicent[/name_f], [name_f]Constance[/name_f], [name_f]Dora[/name_f], [name_f]Hyacinth[/name_f], and Purdey, which could all be classed as clunky vintage names, but that I love! It’s not insanity, it’s a brilliant name style. :wink:

I’ve noticed that you seem to doubt yourself a lot- don’t. You’re allowed to like whatever you want to like! Liking something that other people don’t doesn’t make you insane- it just makes you you. If you really really love those names, I don’t think you should let others’ opinions stop you. Those names aren’t “cruel,” they’re just not aligned with the current style. If you were to name your daughter [name_f]Frances[/name_f], she’d totally rock it and make it look beautiful to someone who may have once thought it was ugly. The point is- no, you’re not insane. As long as a name was picked with love and care, it’s beautiful.

Everybody has their own taste! Yours is a really nice bunch of clunky, vintage name and I don’t think you are insane (although, that doesn’t mean a lot coming from me!).

I adore the name [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] (my little niece’s name, her sister is called [name_f]Mitzi[/name_f] which I also love). I’ve always loved the names [name_f]Doris[/name_f] and [name_f]Dottie[/name_f], don’t know why, I just find there to be something lovely and charming about the names.

None of the names on your list count as “child cruelty”, I always find it extremely rude and ignorant when people say that. I understand that giving children some names is very mean but child cruelty seems excessive.

Ditto @bee49, any child with one of those names would rock it. [name_f]My[/name_f] mother was watching an interior design show (9 by Design), where the parents have named the kids [name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m], [name_m]Breaker[/name_m], Hollidan, Five, [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u], [name_f]Tallulah[/name_f] and [name_m]Major[/name_m], and every single one of those kids wore the name so well- you could never imagine them being teased. It honestly made me want to name my child Five. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t doubt yourself- you have incredible taste. It might not be the style de jour, but that is what makes it special. You are allowed to love whatever names you love: don’t try to conform to the typical Nameberry / real world style- I always look forward to your posts, because of your style, and how you are different. If you love the name, that is the main thing- you can tell when parents choose a name with love.

Haha, thank you all! Mildred, Ethel and Myrtle are childhood ones for me (and Maude to an extent), so I connect them to Worst Witch and Harry Potter more than I do the elderly, and the rest, I don’t know anyone with them as names, let alone someone older.

@nooshi - I think Mildred started the feeling, haha. It’s on the NB post of ‘50+ Names to Make Your Teenager Hate You’, but, I asked my 15 year old sister what she thought, and if she’d hate our mum and dad if they named her that - she said not at all, she’d just shorten it to Millie. Glad I changed your mind on Doris and Myrtle! :wink: As silly as it sounds, I didn’t think Doris was all that wearable, and I remember laughing when I found out that Louis from 1D’s mum named her newborn Doris, but now, having seen pictures of baby Doris (she’s an absolute cutie pie!), it seems completely doable, and I’ve really grown to like it.

I’m actually trying not to conform, because in the past, I’ve noticed that I have a tendency to go for what’s liked more on Nameberry or in the world around me, rather than what I do like, but thank you for the compliment! :’) I’m glad you like my style! There’s some days I curse at my lists because I doubt them, but I think I’m starting to find my style a lot more - it’s broader than I expected it would be!

@myosotis - Millicent, Constance and Dora are gorgeous too :slight_smile: I actually had a great-great auntie called Phyllis, her siblings were Wilfred, Arthur and Raymond, which, while I’m not a huge fan of those names, work really well together!

@bee49 - I do, haha, but there’s a loooong story behind that. I think my school years attributed to me doubting myself, because I always liked different things in school and was targeted for it. Sometimes I just need reassurance I guess?

@mollydolally - Aw Minnie and Mitzi are adorable together! I hate when people refer to names that way too. Some I do suppose I understand, like bestowing the name ‘Adolf Hitler’ on a child, but not really sure how Mildred and Doris fit in with that! There’s a few naming boards that come up when you search a name, and the one is less than kind (to put it nicely!). My sister was fuming at their descriptions of Neville, aha!

They’re not my style, but I don’t think you’re crazy for liking them. Everyone has their own style and guilty pleasures. I would be lying through my teeth if I said everyone agrees with all of the names that I like. To me, these names seem very old, but I agree with what bee49 said, any child you may have will make it work. Some might take one heck of a girl to make sound cool, but others could easily come out of the attic. I’m actually liking [name_f]Edna[/name_f], which is far beyond my normal style.

Your style seems a little nicknamey for my personal tastes but everybody is different. I also think your style really reflects some of the naming trends I see in the UK. Other names on your list are what I see being used in the hipster areas of [name_m]Melbourne[/name_m] at the moment, none of the names on your list are cruel or damaging for a child to wear.

I really like your style of names even though they aren’t all necessarily my own taste.

Not insane…just a bit [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] ;-). I like some ‘out there’ names, too, but your faves aren’t really my style. I do appreciate your commitment, though!

I don’t think you’re insane. You just like older names. I love the name older name [name_f]Beulah[/name_f] but I don’t think I could ever put it on a usable list.

It doesn’t make you any crazier than me … for loving your taste in girls’ names :).

[name_f]Ethel[/name_f] was the name we used to call my granny. Thats the ONLY name I dont like…

Absolutely not. I think it’s great that you have your own style. Variety is what keeps the world interesting, is it not?

Nope, not insane! I adore Maud, Myrtle, Ethel and Frances (I could never hate something Kurt and Courtney chose, and Frances Bean is gorgeous now and pulls it off perfectly!). I think they feel the most usable/current for some reason. I truly love how they sound, rather than them being affectatious which I think some of the clunkiest names can.

I’ve loved Mildred for ages, but now I’m leaning towards Millicent a bit more. I also have the Worst Witch association (I loved the books and show) which is wonderful but Millicent is so much softer. I’m currently babysitting a little Minnie a couple of days a week and she’s gorgeous! Dottie, Bessie and Florrie aren’t my thing (prefer Dorothy, Bess and Florence - just taste, I think they’re fine alone, I also know a little Florence nn Florrie who has the sweetest Welsh accent; her sister is an Eira!).

You might like;
Ermengarde, Alma, Dolly, Helga, Nelda, Drusilla, Enid, Sally, Edina, Blanche, Winnie, Sibyl, Hettie, Prudence, Gladys, Bettie, Frannie/Fran?

They’re definitely old fashioned but that doesn’t mean they’re in poor taste.
Oldies but goodies…
I’m always a champion for the underdog and currently these names are not popular but a lot of them are actually quite sassy [name_f]IMO[/name_f].

[name_f]Bessie[/name_f] - I like this one.

[name_f]Doris[/name_f] -ehh

[name_f]Ethel[/name_f] - this is my mothers name. She’s an amazing, complex, fiesty, fireball who loves humanity. She defines the name for me and proves that you make the name, the name doesn’t make you.

[name_f]Mildred[/name_f] - [name_f]Millie[/name_f]…so in love w/ nn [name_f]Millie[/name_f]

[name_f]Minnie[/name_f] - adorable. totally usable. second fav on your list!

[name_f]Maude[/name_f] - pushing it!

[name_f]Myrtle[/name_f] - [name_f]Myrtle[/name_f] turtle…no

[name_f]Frances[/name_f] - Classic

[name_f]Dottie[/name_f] - I like! I’m into nickname-y names

[name_f]Florrie[/name_f] - [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite on your list!

@sparkleninja18 - I quite like Edna myself. I just wish I could shake the Edna Turnblad from Hairspray image (aka John Travolta in a dress and heels)

@mauvebird - I’ve noticed they all still get a little usage in the UK, and most get a bit in America, but Myrtle’s probably the least used.

@pinklace - Beulah sounds so cool, actually. I doubt I’d use it, but it doesn’t seem that bad :slight_smile:

@apollonia - I love yours as well, haha! It’s nice seeing others who love Millicent and Myrtle! My mum actually decided she likes Mildred, Myrtle, and Ethel, which is bonus points for me too :smiley:

@southern.maple - that’s true, haha as my mum always says, ‘normal’s boring’!

@oliviasarah - I really Eira and Florence myself actually! I know the cutest little girl named Eira here, she’s so sweet! I like Sally, Hettie, Betty, and Frannie of your suggestions, and Enid is growing on me a lot. I also have Dolly as a potential nn for Doris :slight_smile:

@tiannarose - I’m definitely a fan of nicknames as first names too, haha. Two of my favourites are Bessie and Minnie, but my big list is full of them!

Your list is the opposite of my personal taste. In my fantasy world it would be perfectly acceptable to name your daughter Sunflower, [name_u]Frost[/name_u], or [name_f]Sparrow[/name_f]! But that doesn’t mean there is anything wrong with your names. They are all very lovely in their own way. I don’t think you should hesitate to use any of them. We never know for sure where the next trend will take us but clunky, vintage names seem to be on the upswing at the moment… so don’t be shy! :slight_smile:

this list is my personal taste to a tee. [name_u]Love[/name_u] them all. They are bold, brave and not overly girly! They have a bit of attitude which i like.

@rainydaygarden - I suppose that’s true, [name_f]Mildred[/name_f] and [name_f]Doris[/name_f] seem to always have between 80 and 110 births in the US right now, so they aren’t too far out :slight_smile: Haha, vintage is definitely my style, I just have a mix of classic, cutesy, revival and clunky it seems :stuck_out_tongue:

@jakki - I love that theyre bold tbh :slight_smile: The ones I’m most likely to use are [name_f]Ethel[/name_f], [name_f]Bessie[/name_f] and [name_f]Minnie[/name_f], but, you never know :slight_smile: