Double Barrelled Middle Name,Two Middle Names Without Hyphen, or One Middle Name?

What are your thoughts about double barrelled middle names or just two middle names? Has it ever caused any issues on paperwork, birth certificate, etc.? Just curious …

I have always loved the thought of giving a baby girl a name that honors the great grandmothers on mine & my fiancé’s side of the family or a name that honors our mothers. :wink: I was never close to my dad’s side, so I would honor my mom’s mother (my Oma who passed away before I was born). I have my mom’s mother’s name as my middle name, which is Paulina.

Carmen - My fiancé’s paternal grandmother’s name

Vita - My fiancé’s maternal grandmother’s name

Paulina - My maternal grandmother’s name

Lorraine - My fiancé’s mom’s middle name

Laila - Variant name of my mom’s name Helga

Bernadine or Bernelle - Variant names of my fiancé’s mom’s name Bernadette

Names would either be …

1. Carmen Paulina-Vita Novelo
  2. Carmen Vita-Paulina Novelo
  3. Laila Lorraine/Raine Novelo
  4. Laila Bernelle Novelo
  5. Laila Bernadine Novelo

I don’t know how it would affect paperwork, but I love [name_u]Carmen[/name_u] Vita-Paulina!

1 Like

One middle name I have 2 and it is unpleasant and even though it is a tradition I will not do the double middle.

1 Like

I 1000000% support double middles. In this day and age, it just gives more options. I like [name_u]Carmen[/name_u] best!

2 Likes

I think [name_u]Carmen[/name_u] [name_f]Vita[/name_f] [name_f]Paulina[/name_f] is beautiful! I don’t think you need the hyphen unless you want it!

1 Like

Two would be my recommended max. I have a relative with something like 6 or 7 middle names and it was pure insanity for them to deal with.

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband has two middles and we gave our son two, as well. Absolutely no issues with it.
It’s a great way to accomplish what you’re looking to do in this situation.

I love [name_u]Carmen[/name_u] [name_f]Vita[/name_f] [name_f]Paulina[/name_f]! Not a huge fan of hyphens but it’s a nice name either way you’d choose.

1 Like

Ok, thank you for letting me know about this. Has your second middle name ever got lost before?

Thank you, & I am just worried about second middle name getting lost, but if we were to hyphenate the middle name, I dont want it to look like one middle name squished together as some people have told me happens sometimes.

Thank you! :grin:

1 Like

Thank you, I just don’t want the second middle name to get lost like I have been told that can happen sometimes.

1 Like

Oh man, that definitely is insane to give someone that many names! :flushed: I like two middle names as well, but just don’t want second middle name to get lost.

1 Like

I hear you on that! [name_f]Every[/name_f] once in awhile, my husband will get something in the mail addressed to Mr. FirstName FirstMiddle LastName, omitting the second middle name. Anything offical or important has it all, so it’s never seemed like a big deal to him.

1 Like

I’ve known a few people with multiple middles - I’d say when it comes to paperwork, it’s best to check the rules where you are as that should tell you of any character limits or rules about hyphens.

I quite like double middle names :slight_smile:

[name_u]Carmen[/name_u] Vita-Paulina is charming!

1 Like

Ok, I will definitely do that when that day comes. Thank you! :grin:

1 Like

I have two middle names, and my second middle name tends to get removed altogether on paperwork such as insurance information or job applications.
For the really important stuff; birth certificates, licenses, etc. I’ve been able to enter them both.

1 Like

I would say not to do a hyphen for a middle, mainly because it makes it harder to tell that it’s a middle name.

I have two middles right now because I wanted to keep both my married name and my maiden name, but didn’t want to have two last names, nor did I want to have to worry about it for important things, like signatures and such. Anyway, having two middles has not been a struggle! It’s rare to have any paperwork that requires a middle all, let alone one that I’d have to put both, other than really important documents and such. Most of the time, I just skip adding a middle unless it’s required (like for a driver’s license or something that has to match my driver’s license). Most things that ask for a middle initial only let you put one letter, so I either leave that blank or just do my first middle. It really hasn’t been a hassle, and it has been much easier than having a 2 last names where I would actually have to put it on most things haha.

[name_f]My[/name_f] friend has given her son 2 middles (as traditional for the oldest son to follow a certain naming pattern), and I don’t think she’s had issues either.

We’re in the US.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Vita[/name_f] [name_f]Laila[/name_f] [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f] or [name_f]Vita[/name_f] [name_f]Laila[/name_f] [name_f]Pauline[/name_f] which i know werent in your options, i think the flow is nice and love the name [name_f]Vita[/name_f]! I have 2 middle names and my children have 2 middle names. Never been an issue , no need to double barrell them x

1 Like

Ok, thank you! :blush:

Omg, I really love your name suggestions!!! I never even thought of those. Soooo pretty!! [name_u]Love[/name_u] the flow of [name_f]Vita[/name_f] [name_f]Laila[/name_f] [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f]. I actually had [name_f]Laila[/name_f] [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f] & [name_f]Laila[/name_f] [name_f]Vita[/name_f] on the list as well. Haha :wink: Great minds think alike. Ok, I wont double barrell the middle names then. :grin:

1 Like

You name it, cut in half, smushed into my first name, instead of my first name.

1 Like