Down Syndrome

Hello,

My NIPT blood test came back at a 99% for Trisomy 21. This is not a diagnostic test, but that is a very high chance on a mostly accurate test from what I understand. She also had a small nose bone at 19 weeks and I am 40.

Anyhow, any other Downs Syndrome parents out there? When you knew did that play any part of choosing a special name for your babe?

[name_m]Just[/name_m] would love to hear any stories on how you named your babe and if it played a part in choosing a name.

Thanks so much. :heartpulse:

Thank you so much. My emotions are all over the place, and pregnancy in general can do that to you.
:heartpulse::sob:

I work with special needs children, several of whom have Down syndrome. They have the same names you would expect of typical children in their age group. I will say that I would lean toward shorter names. People with Down syndrome tend to have fine motor difficulties and long names can be very challenging.

2 Likes

I’ve moved this to where you might get a better response from those with experience of DS. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] that’s OK.

I’ve never been in your situation personally, but I’d agree with the above sentiment: I’d name a DS baby exactly the same as any other baby, but bearing ease of use in mind. A more elaborate name with a simpler nickname would also work well. The people with DS that I know are called [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_f]Georgia[/name_f] and [name_m]Edward[/name_m].

Congratulations on your precious girl!

1 Like

@southern.maple, thanks for your response. I dont have a name picked yet, but before hubby seemed uninterested I was loving [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f], nn [name_f]Vivi[/name_f]. My current favorite is [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] as she will come near [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] and I feel it’s a pretty and vintage name. [name_m]Will[/name_m] see :slight_smile:

@katinka, thanks for your response as well. I was just wondering as I’ve seen some with DS named [name_f]Faith[/name_f] or [name_f]Joy[/name_f], and I think that is special too. I will bear in mind the need for ease and have been loving [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] recently, although my 5 year old [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] said let’s name the baby [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]. That was sweet. Maybe! Hubby has agreed to nothing yet!

I know lots of kids (and adults) who are named for special sentiments about their births. I agree that a simple to write/say first name would be very thoughtful and convenient, adding a name with extra special significance for her would be special. It could also be something your daughter may take pride in when she’s older and can understand more.

[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] sounds like the perfect first!
[name_f]Bridget[/name_f] and [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] sound like amazing sisters :slight_smile:

I don’t personally have any experience but I do have a little niece with downs and I can’t tell you how much I and everyone around her just adores her!

I love the idea of [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] for your little girl. It’s beautiful, sweet and vintage with a subtle holiday tie without being overly themed.

1 Like

I have not experienced this myself, but I think I would use the same name I would use if I didn’t know she had DS. I work with lots of children with special needs, and most have pretty typical names. Id probably steer clear of my guilty pleasure names and stick with something more simple. I think [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] is gorgeous btw, and goes beautifully with [name_f]Bridget[/name_f]! [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] is very pretty too, and [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] is adorable.

I am a neonatologist so I mostly deal with premature babies but there are also some babies with DS. I am a mother but none of my kids have it.

1 Like

I don’t have personal experience but I have worked with special needs kiddos my whole career (and have a niece with downs) and have to say there is something so special about downs babies/kids. They just have a light about them and are so happy and loving. And I agree if you like a short simple name that would make life at school a little easier, but I would say don’t limit yourself go with a name you truly love

1 Like

@jeaneenl

Any updates?

Baby girl with Ds named Angelica Joy

1 Like

@lateaugust Thanks! And a belated congratulations to the happy family :slight_smile: