Downsides of the name Scarlett???? Opinions please

Hello, Im thinking about the name [name]Scarlett[/name], do any of you see any possible downsides of this name? The only two bad things that I can think of are having the word scar in a name and then scarlett fever. Are these two things big enough not to use the name? Of course since Im considering it, I really do like it, it has a lovely sound to it. I would love to hear how many of you like this name?

I think itā€™s a beautiful nameā€¦was on our list! I just had some concerns about nicknames - I love shortening names - but that could just be me.

Um, it rhymes with harlot? It reminds me of ā€˜The [name]Scarlet[/name] Letterā€™? It makes me think of [name]Scarlett[/name] Johansson? Well, thatā€™s not really a bad thing. [name]Scarlet[/name] Oā€™[name]Hara[/name], AKA [name]Katie[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] Oā€™[name]Hara[/name] [name]Hamilton[/name] [name]Kennedy[/name] [name]Butler[/name]? Again, probably not a bad thing. A potential nickname is Scar?

I think it is a good name! Overall, I think it is pretty yet strong, spunky yet elegant.

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Iā€™m not a fan of it because it sounds SO harsh. Yes, thereā€™s scarlet fever, but I dislike it more because, as mentioned before, it starts with ā€œscarā€ and rhymes with ā€œharlot.ā€ I donā€™t think a [name]Scarlett[/name] would be teased (there are plenty of Scarletts and Charlottes out there), it just makes me like the name less.

Yes I like to have a possible nickname as well and the only two I see are scar (definite no) and lettie. Or with this name she just wouldnt have a nickname.

Its ok.

[name]Scarlett[/name] is my top choice girls name so I might be biased but i donā€™t really think there is a downside. Yea there is no nickname but you can never guarantee a child will like their name shortened. My name is [name]Alison[/name] and people didnā€™t call me ali until I was an adult because I never felt it fit my personality. [name]Don[/name]'t discount the name for that reason itā€™s a beautiful unique name!

Not only does it rhyme with harlot, a ā€œscarlet womanā€ is a prostitute.

[name]Scarlett[/name] is commonly enough used that I wouldnā€™t worry about her getting teased though. I think itā€™s a gorgeous name and the nickname [name]Lettie[/name] is very cute.

Itā€™s my daughterā€™s name. I donā€™t see any of the downsides in real life. [name]Every[/name] name seems to have teasing nicknames at timesā€¦so I didnā€™t really worry about scar or scarlett fever.

hereā€™s the weird thing. Iā€™m a huge nn person. I donā€™t know why but Iā€™m always shortening or changing peopleā€™s names/giving them pet names! So throughout my pregnancy, I was calling my daughter [name]Scarlett[/name] (once we picked the name) and I NEVER ONCE thought of a nickname or the fact that it doesnā€™t have a natural one. I just loved the name. When she was born, of course the first thing i did was shorten her name. That shortening? ā€œ[name]Carly[/name]ā€ or as we normally write it [name]Carle[/name] (just cause there is no Y in [name]Scarlett[/name]) ā€“ itā€™s still her nn today. So, I offer that up as a nn option to you!

1 Like

Gosh ā€“ Iā€™d never thought of any of the ā€œrhymes with harlot,ā€ ā€œstarts with scarā€ baggage.

My original impression of this name is that, while perhaps too glamous and flamboyant for everyday (a la [name]Scarlett[/name] Oā€™[name]Hara[/name]), itā€™s a beautiful name. I doubt much teasing will ensue. This is an accepted name in this society.

I think [name]Scarlett[/name] is a great name. Anyway you cut it every name has negative aspects. I think most people can easily look behind the ā€œscarā€ thing. I donā€™t think the ā€œrhymes with harlotā€ thing is a big deal at all. First of all, [name]Charlotte[/name] also rhymes with harlot, and [name]Charlotte[/name] is a top 100. Secondly, name teasing occurs mostly when kids are young and I doubt any young kids know what a ā€œharlotā€ is. So, overall I think [name]Scarlett[/name] is a lovely name. It makes me think of [name]Scarlett[/name] Oā€™[name]Hara[/name] and [name]Scarlett[/name] Johansson- both positive associations. I donā€™t think itā€™s lack of a nickname makes it any less of a wonderful name. You should pick a name because you truly love it, and if you love this name, itā€™s right for you!

I love [name]Scarlett[/name] and itā€™s on our short list if we have more than 2 girls :] I love nn [name]Carly[/name] or [name]Lettie[/name]. I never really saw a downside to it, [name]Charlotte[/name] rhymes with harlot and itā€™s a super popular name.

[name]Don[/name]'t know if youā€™re opposed to it, but I have heard [name]Letti[/name] being a nicknameā€¦and I donā€™t really hate the scar thing because ever seen 17 again? If not you shouldā€¦

I have a vested interest in this name as I choose it for my daughter. The worst things I have seen about is that it is a ā€œstripper nameā€ and that it may become popular among the trendy / not classy group of society ( think toddlers and tiaras). In regards to a stripper name reference, I think that there are far more classy role models for the name like [name]Scarlett[/name] Oā€™[name]Hara[/name] and [name]Scarlett[/name] Johansen. In response to the trendy set of the population, I see them more going towards [name]Jaden[/name] and [name]Kaleigh[/name] type of names. Overall, [name]Scarlett[/name] does get a reaction bc it is a bold choice. It is far more risky than [name]Violet[/name] or [name]Charlotte[/name]. However, I donā€™t see that as a bad thing. I like the name bc it is bold, decadent, and frilly while at the same time being strangely rootsy and stripped down (think old west). I have also found that my parentsā€™ generation view it as a modern non-grandma name while my peers see it as a more vintagey name and so most do like it. I do not use a nn. It is not a long name and therefore it really isnā€™t necessary unless you like a nn. Overall, I am really happy with my daughterā€™s name. We choose [name]Ruth[/name] as a mn. I find that the classic, simple mn helps to ground the boldness of [name]Scarlett[/name]. I hope that this helps you make your decision! GL

[name]Scarlett[/name] was in our top three for my second daughter (the other two were [name]Isis[/name] and [name]Kitty[/name] - by the time she was 2 weeks late, she got another name entirely).

I love [name]Scarlett[/name], and always thought Scarly would be cute spoken (though it looks silly written down) and that Scar could be very strong and cool for a teenager. The only thing that turned me off the name was that itā€™s becoming quite popular in Australia - most childcare centres here would have at least one [name]Scarlett[/name]. If that doesnā€™t turn you off (and no reason why it should), then I think itā€™s a great name, pretty, foxy, glamorous but also common enough not to be too headturning.

Older generations might be a bit taken aback at first, the ones who still think [name]Sharon[/name] and [name]Danielle[/name] is cutting edge in the naming business.

I really dont see any downside to this name. Its a classic and its beautiful! My brother had a girl in jan and named her [name]Scarlett[/name]ā€¦(who has a big cousin named [name]Ruby[/name] :D)
I think if there will be any teasing to a child they will be teased no matter what their name is. Kids can be cruel and if they dont pick on a name it will be something else.

I think [name]Scarlett[/name] is classic enough that there arenā€™t really any downsides. Iā€™ve known many Scarletts, and none of them had the Scar or Harlot problem. If you want a better nickname, how about [name]Carly[/name]?

Itā€™s fine! Great name!

Thank you to everyone for their insight, it truley is valuable information especially from the two moms who already have a [name]Scarlett[/name], your daughters are lucky to have such gorgous names!!!

One other thing I failed to mention is the overall popularity of this name. I think you need to ask yourself if popularity bothers you. I personally donā€™t think that this name will ever be in the top 10 or the top 30 for that matter. Again, the boldness of the name does elicit a stong reaction from some and so I believe [name]Violet[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] will always be higher in popularity. However, I can definitely see [name]Scarlett[/name] breaking the 100 mark and maybe even landing in the 70ā€™s or 80ā€™s for popularity. I am seeing it pop up more and more all of the time. When I choose the name for my daughter it was in the 200ā€™s for popularity. However, everything I read about the name said that it was primed to become even more popular. I made a choice that I loved the name and would just have to deal with the popularity (of course I am still crossing my fingers that it slows down a bit). Anyway, I just thought I would add that to your decision. If you are the type of person that is bothered by relatively popular names (say in the 60ā€™s-100ā€™s), then you might want to think more about the name. If this doesnā€™t bother you, then I would go for it. As I mentioned, I have been happy with my decision.