Due in 1 week and fearing we've selected the wrong name.

We’ve been referring to our ds#2 as “[name]Judah[/name]” for months now. However, now I’m afraid the New Testament negative connotations (i.e. Greek form of the name, [name]Judas[/name]) will plague him his entire life.

We are not Jewish (it seems this name is more common/accepted/positive among Jewish people because they don’t have the New Testament negative version to contend with).

Our ds#1’s name is [name]Isaiah[/name].

Please help!

[name]Hi[/name]! For what it’s worth, I think that [name]Judah[/name] is a great name, and I love [name]Jude[/name], too. I associate [name]Judah[/name] with the Old Testament, and while [name]Jude[/name] is closer to [name]Judas[/name] for me, I honestly only think of [name]Jude[/name] [name]Law[/name] and how handsome it is.

I personally wouldn’t worry, but if you’re really concerned, you may also like:

[name]Jonah[/name]
[name]Tobiah[/name]
[name]Abraham[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name]
[name]Ezekiel[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name]
[name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Jeremiah[/name]
[name]Micah[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name]
[name]Solomon[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Samson[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I have my doubts about using the name [name]Judah[/name] or [name]Jude[/name] too. Some have said that the association of this name and the name [name]Judas[/name] (Iscariot) are no longer a concern, but I think a lot of people would make that link. Too, I think you may be right that the name [name]Judah[/name] has been more comfortably used by Jewish families. As for [name]Jude[/name] [name]Law[/name], his parents may have had some concerns when they chose his name too because his given name is [name]DAVID[/name] [name]Jude[/name] [name]Law[/name]. I think your concerns are valid, and you may want to choose a different name.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Josiah[/name] or [name]Jonah[/name]?

I think [name]Elijah[/name] works well with [name]Isaiah[/name] too.

I know a family with three boys named
[name]Jacob[/name] ([name]Jake[/name])
[name]Isaiah[/name] ([name]Ike[/name])
[name]Ezekiel[/name] ([name]Zeke[/name])

I agree with [name]Ellen[/name]. [name]Love[/name] [name]Jonah[/name] and also:

[name]Gabriel[/name] nn [name]Gabe[/name] - love it!
[name]Reuben[/name]
[name]Samson[/name]

Thank you for the honest responses. We’re also not tied to a biblical name. I suspect this next baby is going to be more carefree in spirit than his older brother and would love your suggestions on light/breezy names, too.

[name]Judah[/name] does remind me of [name]Judas[/name], but [name]Jude[/name] does not. What to put with [name]Isaiah[/name]…

Well, I know a family of [name]Caleb[/name], [name]Eli[/name], and [name]Jonah[/name] - they all have the same feel as [name]Isaiah[/name]!

[name]Asher[/name] - “blessed, happy”
[name]Adam[/name] - “of the [name]Earth[/name]”
[name]David[/name] - “beloved”
[name]Gabriel[/name] - “God is my strength”
[name]Hiram[/name] - “exalted brother”
[name]Levi[/name] - “joined in harmony”
[name]Nathaniel[/name] - “gift of God”
[name]Noah[/name] - “rest, peace”
[name]Reuben[/name] - “behold, a son!”
[name]Zaccheus[/name] - “pure, clear, bright”

I think [name]Asher[/name] is perfect!

I’m Jewish, so perhaps my comfort with your name further supports the trend you’ve noticed about feeling comfortable with [name]Judah[/name].

More names I can see with [name]Isaiah[/name]:

[name]Andrew[/name]
[name]Abner[/name] (nn [name]Abe[/name])
[name]Asher[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
Baraby (nn [name]Abe[/name])
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Edward[/name] (although [name]Isaiah[/name] Edwards was a character on [name]Little[/name] House on the [name]Prairie[/name]) :slight_smile:
[name]Julian[/name] (and you could still nickname him [name]Jude[/name] if you were comfortable doing so)
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Malcolm[/name]
[name]Phineas[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Thaddeus[/name]
[name]William[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Isaiah[/name] and…
[name]Ansel[/name]
[name]Barnaby[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Elliott[/name]
[name]Franklin[/name]
[name]Harvey[/name]
[name]Jensen[/name]
[name]Lazarus[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Phineas[/name] nn [name]Finn[/name]
[name]Rufus[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name] nn [name]Toby[/name]
[name]Victor[/name]

My favourite biblical names are

[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Moses[/name]
[name]Joel[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]

[name]Judah[/name] does remind me of [name]Judas[/name]. But, I love the name [name]Jude[/name]-it reminds me of Hey [name]Jude[/name] by The Beatles & [name]St[/name].[name]Jude[/name]

For a more carefree feel, [name]Abel[/name] is one biblical option that I love that I think would be great with [name]Isaiah[/name].

[name]Asher[/name] with its “happy” meaning is a good one.

Also, as someone suggested, [name]Tobias[/name] with the nickname [name]Toby[/name] has an upbeat, not-too-serious feel.

I like [name]Barnaby[/name] for the same reason, or [name]Finnian[/name].

I’m [name]Christian[/name] and I don’t associate [name]Judah[/name] with [name]Judas[/name] AT ALL. I know they have the same root, but [name]Judah[/name] has wonderful associations for New Testament readers… [name]Jesus[/name] being known as “The [name]Lion[/name] of [name]Judah[/name].”

Naming your child [name]Judas[/name] would be another story, but I really think [name]Judah[/name] is different enough that most people won’t make the connection. And the one’s that will would probably be aware enough to know the name has history far beyond [name]Judas[/name] Iscariot.

Gorgeous name, but go with your gut!

Yup! Me too! :slight_smile:

[name]Jude[/name] is a lovely alternative. [name]Love[/name] that it is linked to the Beatles song ‘Hey [name]Jude[/name]’
[name]Isaac[/name] is a good, strong bible name and has a cute meaning ‘e will laugh’
[name]Malachi[/name]
[name]Nathan[/name] -probably my absolute favorite name ever, and I would use it if i didn’t know two of them already.[name]Love[/name] nn [name]Nate[/name]

someone suggested [name]Jonah[/name] earlier… and that’s a wonderful name.
I think [name]Jonah[/name] works well with your other son’s name and they’d make an adorable sibset…
I have nothing but positive associations with [name]Jonah[/name]…

Ditto, I didn’t think of [name]Judas[/name] until you mentioned it and I grew up in a reformed church. If I were you, I would use it because it goes well with your other son’s name. But, if you can’t get past it, I think you have some great suggestions. I personally like [name]Elijah[/name]/[name]Elias[/name], and the nickname [name]Eli[/name]. Good luck!

Me too! I would never associate [name]Judah[/name] with [name]Judas[/name]…just with [name]Jesus[/name], as the ‘[name]Lion[/name] of [name]Judah[/name]’.

I don’t usually associate [name]Judah[/name] and [name]Judas[/name] and I definitely have the New Testament influences. I think of [name]Judah[/name] as a special name because it’s the chosen tribe, most kings of the bible where from [name]Judah[/name], [name]Jesus[/name] was from [name]Judah[/name] and most of all I think of the ‘[name]Lion[/name] of [name]Judah[/name]’ a prophacied name for [name]Jesus[/name] that rocks for a little boy.

I think it’s a very fine name choice!

I love [name]Ezra[/name]… just throwing that out there :slight_smile: