Easier pronounciation in the US for this name

How would my fellow American berries pronounce the different spelling variations of this name?

Madalina & [name_f]Madalena[/name_f]

I personally naturally pronounce both as (mad-uh-lee-nah) and that’s how I would like others to pronounce it as well. So that being said which one would be the better version to go with?

Madalina ~ the Romanian variation of the name
[name_f]Madalena[/name_f] ~ the Italian + Portuguese variation of the name

3 Likes

I think either one would get you the pronunciation you’d like, but [name_f]Madalena[/name_f] is my preference look wise! I suppose there’s also a small chance Madalina could get “mad-uh-line-ah”.

1 Like

Madalina- mad a lean uh

[name_f]Madalena[/name_f]- mad a lane uh

From southern US

5 Likes

Im from the UK so not much help but when i see these names this is how i would think to pronounce them but i think both of them could be pronounced like you want it to

[name_f]Madaline[/name_f] [mad-a-lee-nah]
[name_f]Madalena[/name_f] [mad-a-len-a]

5 Likes

Also from the UK, so not that helpful, but I would say the same as @KatherineFern9.

Madalina - Mad-ah-lee-nah
[name_f]Madalena[/name_f] - Mad-ah-lenn-ah

5 Likes

Since I is rarely an EE sound here Id go with [name_f]Madalena[/name_f]. Neither one is foolproof though. I live in the southern US

1 Like

I’d pronounce Madalina like mad-uh-lee-nah, and [name_f]Madalena[/name_f] mad-uh-leh-nah! But like @hellobanjo both could be mispronounced depending on the person.

1 Like

I personally would pronounce both the way you want on first instinct. But I could see Madalina being mad-uh-line-uh and I could see [name_f]Madalena[/name_f] being mad-uh-len-uh or mad-uh-lay-nuh. I’m honestly not sure which would be mispronounced less, but I think both may get mispronounciations sometimes but not often.

1 Like

I would pronounce Madalina the way you like!

[name_f]Madalena[/name_f] would instictively be mad-uh-lehn-uh or mad-uh-layn-uh to me, though it would be an easy correction to mad-uh-lee-nuh.

1 Like

I wouldn’t pronounce either the way you want. Northwest U.S. here.

[name_f]Madelina[/name_f] would rhyme with bin or line depending on what I guessed. Would never occur to be an ee sound.

[name_f]Madalena[/name_f] would would be lay, but that is because my exposure to that name is through the tv show Galavant where a main character has the name and that is how it is pronounced. The other pronunciation that I would guess would rhyme with hen.

If someone were to say it with an een to me and I had no idea how it was spelled, I would guess… Madaleena.

1 Like

I like the Madalina spelling and think it it more intuitively pronounced
Mad ah LEE nah. I like the looks of this spelling and the LINApops out to me and reminds me of the name,Tina, and how that is pronounced…

In the other spelling combination the [name_f]Lena[/name_f] does not stand out, because of all the other E and A vowels in the name.

2 Likes

My first instinct was:
Madalina “Mad-uh-lee-nah”
Madalena “Mad-uh-leh-nah”

I still prefer Madalena as far as looks go.

2 Likes

I read [name_f]Madelena[/name_f] as “mad-uh-lay-nuh” but [name_f]Madelina[/name_f] as “mad-uh-lee-nuh” ! I’m from the western US.

1 Like

I pronounce both the same, Ma-uh-lee-nuh.

From Midwest USA

1 Like

madalina ~ [ma-da-lee-na]
madalena ~ [ma-da-lay-na]

i’m from the northeastern u.s.

1 Like

I would pronounce both “mad-uh-leen-uh”, but I’m afraid that Madalena would get pronounced with a “lenn” or “layn” instead of “leen”, so I personally would go with Madalina! Both are absolutely lovely spellings though! :heartpulse::sparkles:

and i’m in midwest u.s.

1 Like

Uk -
Madalina - madaleena
[name_f]Madalena[/name_f] - madalayna

1 Like

I’m from the Midwest US.

Madalina - leen-ah
[name_f]Madalena[/name_f] - lane-ah

That being said, I much prefer the look of [name_f]Madalena[/name_f] and I think either one is likely to be occasionally mispronounced and easily corrected.

1 Like

For that pronunciation, I’d go with Madalina. I think most everyone would get it right. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The E and I conundrum is super tough depending on the region of the U.S. you live in…I mean you might mean another part of the Americas but still. These are my general observations and some areas overlap on influence so its not even close to standard.

If the region is more Spanish speaking or influenced- Madelina= Mad-EL-INNA/ Madelena= Ma-Del-Layna

If the region is more Italian influenced- Mad-Uh-LINE-UH and MAD-ELL-LEAN-UH
If the area is more [name_u]French[/name_u] influenced- Mad-Linna or Meh-deh-linna
[name_u]New[/name_u] [name_u]England[/name_u] pronunciation is closer to Italian Influence but the emphasis can be ever so slightly different and inconsistent.

1 Like