Edit: What are the newest Elizabeths called these days?

[name]Edit[/name]: I have had this post going for a few days, but am curious about what new Elizabeths are called (birth to 2 year-olds, roughly). I just want to know if the same nicknames are sticking or if new ones are cropping up! Thanks!

Hello! I am having my first daughter in [name]March[/name], and am seriously considering naming her [name]Elizabeth[/name]. I know it is in the Top 10 on the SSA list since the beginning of time, so I have been wondering which of the many possible nicknames to call her. I am notorious for shortening people’s names (perhaps I’m lazy?), so keeping it “[name]Elizabeth[/name]” isn’t going to happen.

I’m sure the nickname [name]Ellie[/name] is pretty popular right now, and I was leaning toward [name]Elle[/name] myself (like the letter L).

Thank you in advance for your advice! :slight_smile:

I love [name]Elizabeth[/name]! :slight_smile:

My favorite nicknames:

[name]Eliza[/name] (which I love as a first name, too)
[name]Libby[/name] (I know a young [name]Libby[/name])
[name]Bess[/name] (I know a younger [name]Bess[/name])
[name]Tibbie[/name] (I know an [name]Elizabeth[/name] who goes by [name]Tibbie[/name], but Nameberry posters also suggest it as a nickname for [name]Tabitha[/name], which I also love.)

I also know a:

[name]Lizzie[/name]
[name]Liza[/name]
[name]Betsy[/name]

There’s actually a great blog about [name]Elizabeth[/name] (and its nicknames) that you may find helpful: https://nameberry.com/blog/2009/11/17/elizabeth-the-name-that-has-everything/

I also recall a thread on Nameberry on which people posted the nicknames. (I’ll try to find it for you…)

Take care! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the input! Yes, I read both the blog and the thread on [name]Elizabeth[/name] nicknames. I am just wondering what my daughter’s peers are called if they happen to have the same name as her.

Thanks again for the help!

You’re welcome!

I know a lot of young Elizabeths, and now that I think about it, there isn’t one most popular nickname. I know of two little Elizabeths (no nickname), 1 [name]Libby[/name], 1 [name]Bess[/name], and 1 [name]Lizzie[/name]. (The [name]Tibbie[/name] and Betsys I know are older.)

I can’t wait for more people to reply, because I, too, am curious as to what nicknames other people hear on young Elizabeths!

Take care! :slight_smile:

I know and [name]Elizabeth[/name] that goes by [name]Elsie[/name] and another by [name]El[/name]

[name]Elizabeth[/name]/[name]Elisabeth[/name] is beautiful. I have a daughter named [name]Ellie[/name] (though her real name is not [name]Elizabeth[/name]). I’ve found that isn’t overly popular, but there are definitely a few here and there. However, that’s in [name]Boston[/name], MA so it may be different in different areas. I love so many of the nicknames for [name]Elizabeth[/name]…favorites are:

[name]Ellie[/name] (obviously)
[name]Elle[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Liza[/name]
[name]Libby[/name]
[name]Ella[/name]

All are adorable… I don’t like [name]Bess[/name] or [name]Betsy[/name], as they seem to outdated. Good [name]Luck[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name] is a beautiful name!

I love [name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]Bess[/name] is a cute nn. [name]Elizabeth[/name] is an awesome name that gives them so many options as adults if they want them.

My two favorites are

[name]Eliza[/name] - love this name and also sounds somewhat formal to me, too, which is a plus… b/c I can see this nn transitioning really well into adulthood (side note… I did a poll a while back, and the majority of people who went by nicknames as children retained those same nicknames as adults, i.e. they didn’t switch back to their formal names. Something to think about when looking at nicknames??)

[name]Libby[/name] - [name]Love[/name] this one, but much more for a child than adult. Would hope that my daughter, family, & friends would prefer to go by the formal name [name]Elizabeth[/name] as she got older…

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I’m not surprised that there are so many different nicknames out there, but I am surprised that [name]Ellie[/name] is not as popular as I thought! I guess I was assuming that since [name]Ella[/name] and [name]Emma[/name] are so popular, [name]Ellie[/name] would be as well.

I think I’m going to stick with [name]Elle[/name] as her nickname unless she decides otherwise! :slight_smile: I also like [name]Libby[/name], but I can see how this may not age well.

Thanks again! If anyone else knows of any other little girls from the newest [name]Elizabeth[/name] crop and would like to weigh in, I’m still very interested to know what their nicknames are!

I’m an [name]Elizabeth[/name], and although I usually go by the full name, I also am called [name]Lizzie[/name], [name]Eliza[/name] and [name]Liz[/name]. Not a huge fan of [name]Liz[/name] though, but hey. As someone who has this name, I would definitely recommend it, it’s so versitile and so classic, and although it is always on the top 10, I rarely encounter anyone who is called [name]Elizabeth[/name] (usually it is everyone’s middle name… does that contribute to the top 10 name lists? It must because if not, where are all the Elizabeths?). Anyway, it is a great name, and I would even advocate letting her choose her own nickname when she gets a little older, it lets her personalize it :slight_smile:

Thanks, [name]Liz[/name], for the the insider’s scoop! I was hoping that [name]Elizabeth[/name] would afford many options for my daughter, and that she could indeed make it her own as she grew. I appreciate your openness - it really helps!

Cheers!

I love the name [name]Elizabeth[/name]. No matter how popular it gets, I will always love it.
Anyway, my favorite nickname for it is definitely [name]Ellie[/name]. It’s very cute. [name]Elle[/name] is also cute, it makes me think of Legally Blond, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.
I know a girl named [name]Elizabeth[/name] who occasionally goes by [name]Beth[/name], but I’m not crazy about [name]Beth[/name]. I also know another [name]Elizabeth[/name] who goes by [name]Liz[/name].

My favorites for [name]Elizabeth[/name]:
[name]Ellie[/name]
[name]Elle[/name]
[name]Libby[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Liz[/name]

I am an [name]Elizabeth[/name] too!! and I am know as [name]Bess[/name] or [name]Bessie[/name], I am 24 years old now and have been [name]Bess[/name]/[name]Bessie[/name] since I was around 5. I have grown to like it, it was how my sister pronouced [name]Elizabeth[/name] when she was little and it just stuck, nobody calls me [name]Elizabeth[/name] and most people don’t even no its actually my name, a new co-worker asked me if it was short for anything and i said what do u think and she said is it short for Besscinda LOL!!

[name]Lizzie[/name] is my favorite. Also love [name]Libby[/name]. [name]Love[/name] [name]Liza[/name]! And [name]Eliza[/name].

My friend [name]Elizabeth[/name] often gets called:

Biz
Bizzy
Dizzy

A girl in my daughter’s class named [name]Elspeth[/name] (which is kind of close to [name]Elizabeth[/name]) gets called [name]Elsie[/name] so maybe something like Elizie or [name]ZiZi[/name] or something?

My favourites are [name]Lib[/name], [name]Libby[/name], Libs, etc.

Thanks for the information and opinions, everyone! Thanks, too, to the second [name]Elizabeth[/name] that weighed in! I enjoy hearing from you ladies that have the name yourselves!

I have also been stuck on middle names for her. Her last name will be Peck, so I’m thinking a 2-syllable middle? I’ve combed through family names and none seem to fit. I’m considering a middle that is a little more off-beat and spunky, since [name]Elizabeth[/name] is classic, elegant and long. Does anyone have any suggestions?

See my post on this board titled “This got me thinking…nns for [name]Elizabeth[/name]” for more options.

Thank you, Unicorn! Yes, I had perused your thread - you went to a lot of work compiling all the nickname suggestions! [name]Elizabeth[/name] is certainly a very versatile name, which is one reason it appeals to me!

My question was more what tiny Elizabeths are being called these days (birth-2ish year olds), so I know what my daughter’s peers will be known as. I should have been more clear with my title, I see.

Thanks again!

I know a 2 year old named [name]Elizabeth[/name] and called [name]Lily[/name]. Her mom says its a nickname for [name]Elizabeth[/name]. It was the first time I heard that. I love the name [name]Elizabeth[/name] and my favorite nickname for her would be [name]Elle[/name]/[name]Ellie[/name].

Oh! Oh! I totally forgot that I know of three young Elizabeths who go by “Biz/Bizzie.” Two are over 10-years-old, but one Biz is under two.

[name]Elizabeth[/name] Peck? A middle for [name]Elizabeth[/name] Peck…

[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Alice[/name] (then again, the ss in [name]Alice[/name] attaches to Peck to sounds like “speck”)
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Daisy[/name] (this feels more offbeat and spunky to me)
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Ivy[/name] (ditto)
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Margot[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Mabel[/name] (offbeat and spunky. bit a bit B heavy)
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Olive[/name] (offbeat and spunky)
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Violet[/name] :slight_smile:

Best wishes to you!