Elizabeth or Elisabeth?

Which one?

I prefer [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], although I have known people with both spellings.

Both are lovely but because [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is a family name would have to say [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f].

I prefer [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f], but it’s a beautiful name either way. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]

I prefer [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] looks more proper [name_f]English[/name_f] to me which isn’t a bad thing.

Elizabeth as a first name, [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] in the middle name spot. I think the Z adds something fun to it and I love how classic it is, however, in the middle name spot the [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] spelling feels like a nice surprise.

3 Likes

I think [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] looks prettier, but that it would get misspelled more often.

I prefer [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]!

Definitely [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]!

Elizabeth!

I agree with @OpheliaFlora.
I feel like she would have to say “[name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] with an S” all the time if it was her first name.

To me [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is from an [name_f]English[/name_f] speaking country and [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] from continental Europe/countries that speak other European languages

1 Like

Ditto to what Etymology says. [name_u]Eli[/name_u]zabeth is very much the traditional [name_f]English[/name_f] spelling while [name_u]Eli[/name_u]sabeth is very continental European. In fact going from my family tree and other genealogy research [name_u]Eli[/name_u]zabeth is the quintessential [name_f]English[/name_f] girls name. Both forms are lovely. You cannot go wrong with [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. ([name_f]My[/name_f] eldest daughter is [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]). The form you should choose would depend on family background, personal preference and a slight variation to give a child her “own” name if it is an honour name.

4 Likes

Elizabeth is my preferred :slight_smile: I just say them slightly differently - [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] is Ee-lees-ah-beth, where as [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is Eh-liz-ah-beth (short I sound)

1 Like

I strongly dislike [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]

Elizabeth gets my vote

I’ve literally been having the same debate with myself. I’d say [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], honestly.

I used to prefer [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f], but I like [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] more now.

they both could work, but I prefer [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], only because I love the name [name_f]Eliza[/name_f].

1 Like