Esca: tell me what you think!

I absolutely adore the name [name_u]Esca[/name_u] for a boy (pronounced as spelt: ESS-ka).

I added it to the database a while ago, so I’ll just link the page here for more info on potential origin and associations. I couldn’t find a huge amount about it, so please – if anyone knows more about this name, do tell!

I’d love to hear your thoughts :hugs:

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you like it? Any associations? How would it fit in with potential siblings [name_f]Juno[/name_f], [name_u]Kit[/name_u] and [name_f]Anouk[/name_f]? And is it too close to my name, [name_f]Emma[/name_f]?

4 Likes

[name_u]Esca[/name_u] is an interesting name!
[name_f]My[/name_f] first thought was Posca Pens - but I don’t know if people who aren’t into art would know of them. I think it has a cool sound and it works with [name_f]Juno[/name_f], [name_u]Kit[/name_u] and [name_f]Anouk[/name_f], though I will say that I would assume an [name_u]Esca[/name_u] was female. It’s similar to [name_f]Emma[/name_f] but I don’t think it’s too close.

1 Like

Esca is really lovely!! I think it goes well with [name_f]Juno[/name_f], [name_u]Kit[/name_u] and [name_f]Anouk[/name_f] in terms of feeling unique but not too out there :relaxed: I don’t think it’s too close to [name_f]Emma[/name_f] either as [name_f]Emma[/name_f] is much softer sound-wise :))

i love it’s meaning too!!

(also it would be a cool way to honour a [name_f]Frances[/name_f] or [name_f]Francesca[/name_f])

2 Likes

I think it has an interesting sound and would make a unique and different choice. I don’t know anything about its origin, but I do remember there being a (female) character in the Legend of [name_f]Korra[/name_f] named [name_f]Eska[/name_f]. I think it would fit well with your sibset and I don’t think it’s too close to [name_f]Emma[/name_f].

2 Likes

I love [name_u]Esca[/name_u]!! [name_f]My[/name_f] first thought was a nickname for [name_f]Francesca[/name_f], but I really like it as a standalone for a boy :relaxed: it works well with the other names, a similar style, and I don’t think it’s too similar to [name_f]Emma[/name_f]

1 Like

I think this will probably be most people’s thought too, but the same is true of my longtime #1 ([name_u]Sasha[/name_u]), at least here in the UK. I must really like “feminine” boys’ names!

I’m glad you think so!

I came across a baby girl named [name_f]Eska[/name_f] once after the character – beautiful :heart_eyes:

[quote=“[name_u]Raven[/name_u]-1013, post:5, topic:369994”]
My first thought was a nickname for Francesca, but I really like it as a standalone for a boy
[/quote]

[name_f]Glad[/name_f] to hear it! I can see how the [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] confusion could come about though :thinking:

2 Likes

I’ve only heard it as a nickname for [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] before, so I assume it’s a girl name when I read the title, but it’s interesting for sure! I don’t think it’s too close to your own name, the hard consonants make it different enough.

1 Like

I think it goes great with your sibset and has a wonderful sound, much like the well-loved [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] but with a fresh twist. I don’t think it’s too close to [name_f]Emma[/name_f], though it does have a feminine sound. However, I doubt that would be problematic.

1 Like

I really like it! Family friends have an [name_f]Eska[/name_f] (g), that name has a different origin, though, I think. [name_f]Emma[/name_f] isn’t too close for me.

Esca feels fresh, interesting and works well with [name_f]Juno[/name_f], [name_u]Kit[/name_u] and [name_f]Anouk[/name_f]!

Also definitely male to me despite the link to [name_f]Francesca[/name_f].

1 Like

I wonder if it’s the same one I’ve come across? :thinking: There can’t be many out there! It’s super cool.

1 Like

Ooh, [name_u]Esca[/name_u] is cool! It has a cheerful sound. It reminds me a bit of [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] and [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] which I love, while also having a distinct sound

2 Likes

It also leans female for me - it reminds me of [name_f]Esther[/name_f] and [name_f]Tosca[/name_f]. However, It definitely works for a boy too. And although on the surface it would be unexpected with [name_f]Juno[/name_f], [name_u]Kit[/name_u] and [name_f]Anouk[/name_f], I think it would actually fit in very well because all of them are phonetically unique and have a standalone, simple but eclectic quality to them which [name_u]Esca[/name_u] also fits.

1 Like

[name_u]Love[/name_u] this description! I like names with very simple but still slightly surprising sounds, I think.

I have never heard of it before, but I really like it! No associations whatsoever aside from what I just read on its page. I think it would fit well in your sibset – it’s unique and unexpected, short and playful, just like the others. And I wouldn’t find it too close to [name_f]Emma[/name_f] at all: the sounds are quite distinct. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oooh I really like it. I love names ending in a on boys. It reminds me of [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] a bit. I love that its Gaelic and means water. That’s such pretty imagery. I do think it sounds like a literary name, I wish there were more namesakes because I think its one of those names where you need associations to really gravitate towards it if that makes sense. But I think it could work as I think names for boys ending in “a” are really on trend and for good reason. They tend to be stunning and different, and a lot if people look for boy names that are different and underused.

1 Like

Me too :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I know what you mean. It’s so unfamiliar it almost risks sounding a little made-up without more or better known associations. Thanks for your input!

I think it’s great! I did think it was female at first, but I love it for a boy. Its soft sound and a ending are very appealing. I think it fits well with siblings, and it isn’t too close to [name_f]Emma[/name_f]!

1 Like

[name_u]Esca[/name_u] is very handsome and extremely cool but not in a “trying to be cool” way;) It’s spunky, light, and fresh in a spring-y summery-y way.

I definitely like it on a boy. I especially like that it’s not something that people will have heard, but I think people would know how to pronounce it pretty intuitively.

I could also definitely see [name_f]Juno[/name_f], [name_u]Kit[/name_u], [name_f]Anouk[/name_f], and [name_u]Esca[/name_u] - it’s vaguely similar to [name_f]Anouk[/name_f] with the c/k and vowel beginning but not too similar to be an issue.

1 Like

[name_u]Love[/name_u] this :heart: thank you

1 Like

I really like it! I’m a sucker for boys names ending in a (or any “feminine” sounding boys names (I don’t think of them as feminine)).

I think it works nicely with [name_f]Juno[/name_f], [name_u]Kit[/name_u], and [name_f]Anouk[/name_f], and I think it has very different sounds than [name_f]Emma[/name_f] :slight_smile:

1 Like