Esmé or Esmée & Middle Name!

Our second child arrives in [name_u]June[/name_u] and we’re going to be surprised by the gender! We’ve solidified our boy name, but still up in the air on a girl’s name and could use your help. The first question is on the spelling of the first name. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you prefer Esmé or Esmée?

The second question is on the middle name. We have a top 3 list:

1. Esmé/Esmée [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] - I’ve always loved [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] as a middle name and it seems to work well with this first name.

2. Esmé/Esmée [name_u]Roux[/name_u] - I like that both this first and middle name are of [name_u]French[/name_u] origin and complement each other well.

3. Esmé/Esmée [name_f]Rose[/name_f] - This is perhaps the most lovely sounding combination. However, I do wonder if [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is too common a middle name and/or if the whole name together is over the top girly/frilly?

We would love to hear your thoughts/expertise! Thanks!

[name_f]Welcome[/name_f] to nameberry @andrealaine! Congrats on baby number two!

I prefer the spelling [name_f]Esme[/name_f].

I really like all of the combos you have here! [name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is definitely my favorite, despite [name_f]Rose[/name_f] being deemed a “filler” middle name. [name_u]Roux[/name_u] is a great option with similar sounds as [name_f]Rose[/name_f], so I would use that if the popularity turns you off [name_f]Rose[/name_f].

2 Likes

Thank you so much @may.rose! This is very helpful.

1 Like

Oh good @bellalily, I’m so glad you like Esmé! I was kind of hung up on Esmée being the original [name_u]French[/name_u] feminine form of the name, but visually I prefer Esmé too.

Esmé [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] is definitely a front-runner! I hadn’t thought about the association of [name_u]Roux[/name_u] with the bread/dough, so I’m glad you mentioned that. Thanks so much for the input, super helpful!

1 Like

congratulations! Esmé is such a gorgeous name. even though I think Esmée is the traditional french spelling, I believe Esmé is a more intuitive spelling, at least to english speakers. I don’t know where you live, but in the US I’m guessing there would be at least a handful of people who would look at her name off the bat and pronounce it as “es-mee”.

as for your middles, it is totally a matter of preference but I tend to better like names that don’t sound too blended. I read Esmé [name_u]Roux[/name_u] more like “ezmayroo” and Esmé [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] like “ezmaylee”… if that makes any sense :sweat_smile: it really doesn’t matter because any name will sound somewhat blended when you say it fast enough, but I think Esmé [name_f]Rose[/name_f] has a bit more structure to it. & for what it’s worth, I don’t think it’s too frilly at all. it’s short and classic and romantic sounding without being overdone, even with the popularity of [name_f]Rose[/name_f].

best of luck to you!

3 Likes

I prefer the look of Esmé but i think it depends on how you want it pronoucned. [name_f]Esme[/name_f] is more likely to get Es-mae but [name_f]Esmee[/name_f] might get Es-mee

[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is simple and pretty!

2 Likes

I much prefer [name_f]Esme[/name_f] - it’s simple, elegant, and distinctly [name_u]French[/name_u].

[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] would work, but I like [name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_u]Roux[/name_u].

[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is a pretty combination, but she’d have the same middle name as 99% of all girls her age, since everyone is using ‘[name_f]Rose[/name_f]’ or ‘[name_f]Grace[/name_f]’ as a middle name these days.

2 Likes

Esmée is my favourite! I love Esmée [name_f]Rose[/name_f]!

1 Like

I like Esmé. [name_f]Rose[/name_f] often is thought of as a filler name, but it is still pretty. I like Esmé [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] most. I’ve always though [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] looks so pretty and elegant, and it looks really nice with Esmé. [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is really common as a mn, unfortunately. Esmé [name_u]Roux[/name_u] has a nice, [name_u]French[/name_u] sound, but the reason I didn’t choose it is it is actually a type of fat or butter that is used to make some sauces.

1 Like

Esmé is my favorite spelling! All the middle names you selected are really sweet. Esmé [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is my favorite combination.
I adore [name_u]Leigh[/name_u], but unfortunately, I’m not sure if Esmé [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] flows well. When I pronounce it out loud, it sounds like “Esmelee”. Esmé [name_u]Roux[/name_u] is adorable and unique, but I only advice you to use [name_u]Roux[/name_u] if you have a strong connection with [name_f]France[/name_f] or another [name_u]French[/name_u]-speaking country.

2 Likes

I prefer Esmée, but only because that is the common spelling where I live. And for a middle name I love [name_u]Roux[/name_u]. Esmée [name_u]Roux[/name_u], very beautiful! I definitely think that [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is a little over-used as a middle name, although it is lovely.

1 Like

Esmé for sure. I’d also check naming laws where you live to make sure you are allowed to put the accent. If not, [name_f]Esme[/name_f] is still a lovely choice.

[name_u]Leigh[/name_u], in any variation, is just as common as [name_f]Rose[/name_f] as a middle, and between the two I highly prefer [name_f]Rose[/name_f] with Esmé.

[name_u]Roux[/name_u] has a pleasant sound but my brain does immediately go to gravy or soup stock, so it isn’t my favorite.

1 Like

I would spell it with one E at the end, and I like the middle name [name_u]Roux[/name_u].

1 Like

I like the sound of Esmé [name_u]Roux[/name_u] the best, but the spelling does bring to mind it’s cooking connotations. If you like the sound but don’t like that connection, I think Esmé [name_u]Rue[/name_u] would be absolutely adorable!

3 Likes

I visually prefer the Esmé spelling! I wouldn’t worry about it not being the traditional [name_u]French[/name_u] spelling; as a benefit, I think this spelling might help clarify the pronunciation. I love the sound of Esmé [name_u]Roux[/name_u] but it does make the think of the cooking meaning, so I love taylorhart’s suggestion of Esmé [name_u]Rue[/name_u]!

2 Likes

I personally prefer Esmée.
I like all yout middle name options but my favourite is [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. I don’t think [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is too common as a middle and even if it would be, I don’t think that would be a problem.
I love the sound and feel of Esmée [name_f]Rose[/name_f], to me it isn’t over the top frilly.
I don’t know what exactely you mean with over the top girly. Esmée [name_f]Rose[/name_f] certainly is a feminine name to me, suitable for a young girl, but I think the name works well for an adult too.

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] @rosajune! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts, I appreciate it! We do prefer the EZ-may pronunciation as opposed to EZ-mee, so I think you’re right about Esmé being the spelling that will get more of our preferred pronunciation.

I also appreciate your comment about a more structured first/middle vs. a blended sound. I do agree that [name_f]Rose[/name_f] has the most structure/distinction between the first/middle of the three. Along that line of thinking, what do you think of Esmé [name_f]Raquel[/name_f]? Thank you!

2 Likes

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] @Greyblue! Thanks so much for your response. We prefer EZ-may to EZ-mee, so I agree with your comment about spelling it Esmé. Thanks for your vote for Esmé [name_f]Rose[/name_f]!

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] @jonquils! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts! I think you captured [name_u]Roux[/name_u] perfectly as “cool, stately, and feminine”.

1 Like

Thank you @spookydoll! I also love the simplicity of Esmé. Thanks for your vote for Esmé [name_u]Roux[/name_u].

1 Like