Esmé or Esmée & Middle Name!

Our second child arrives in June and we’re going to be surprised by the gender! We’ve solidified our boy name, but still up in the air on a girl’s name and could use your help. The first question is on the spelling of the first name. Do you prefer Esmé or Esmée?

The second question is on the middle name. We have a top 3 list:

1. Esmé/Esmée Leigh - I’ve always loved Leigh as a middle name and it seems to work well with this first name.

2. Esmé/Esmée Roux - I like that both this first and middle name are of French origin and complement each other well.

3. Esmé/Esmée Rose - This is perhaps the most lovely sounding combination. However, I do wonder if Rose is too common a middle name and/or if the whole name together is over the top girly/frilly?

We would love to hear your thoughts/expertise! Thanks!

Welcome to nameberry @andrealaine! Congrats on baby number two!

I prefer the spelling Esme.

I really like all of the combos you have here! Esme Rose is definitely my favorite, despite Rose being deemed a “filler” middle name. Roux is a great option with similar sounds as Rose, so I would use that if the popularity turns you off Rose.

2 Likes

I adore Esmé! While I know Esmée is the technically correct French spelling, I think Esmé looks a bit nicer.

As for combos, I surprisingly really like Esmé Leigh! I’m not usually a Leigh fan, but I think it’s really nice here. Esmé Rue would be cute, but the Roux spelling just makes me think of the dough. Esmé Rose isn’t really working for me. I think it might be because of the S in both names?

1 Like

Thank you so much @MG1257! This is very helpful.

1 Like

Oh good @bellalily, I’m so glad you like Esmé! I was kind of hung up on Esmée being the original French feminine form of the name, but visually I prefer Esmé too.

Esmé Leigh is definitely a front-runner! I hadn’t thought about the association of Roux with the bread/dough, so I’m glad you mentioned that. Thanks so much for the input, super helpful!

1 Like

congratulations! Esmé is such a gorgeous name. even though I think Esmée is the traditional french spelling, I believe Esmé is a more intuitive spelling, at least to english speakers. I don’t know where you live, but in the US I’m guessing there would be at least a handful of people who would look at her name off the bat and pronounce it as “es-mee”.

as for your middles, it is totally a matter of preference but I tend to better like names that don’t sound too blended. I read Esmé Roux more like “ezmayroo” and Esmé Leigh like “ezmaylee”… if that makes any sense :sweat_smile: it really doesn’t matter because any name will sound somewhat blended when you say it fast enough, but I think Esmé Rose has a bit more structure to it. & for what it’s worth, I don’t think it’s too frilly at all. it’s short and classic and romantic sounding without being overdone, even with the popularity of Rose.

best of luck to you!

3 Likes

I prefer the look of Esmé but i think it depends on how you want it pronoucned. Esme is more likely to get Es-mae but Esmee might get Es-mee

Esme Rose is simple and pretty!

2 Likes

Esmé Roux is absolutely stunning! I was so thrilled to see Roux as a middle name contender. I think it’s such a cool alternative to Rose, while remaining very stately and feminine.

2 Likes

I much prefer Esme - it’s simple, elegant, and distinctly French.

Esme Leigh would work, but I like Esme Roux.

Esme Rose is a pretty combination, but she’d have the same middle name as 99% of all girls her age, since everyone is using ‘Rose’ or ‘Grace’ as a middle name these days.

2 Likes

Esmée is my favourite! I love Esmée Rose!

1 Like

I like Esmé. Rose often is thought of as a filler name, but it is still pretty. I like Esmé Leigh most. I’ve always though Leigh looks so pretty and elegant, and it looks really nice with Esmé. Rose is really common as a mn, unfortunately. Esmé Roux has a nice, French sound, but the reason I didn’t choose it is it is actually a type of fat or butter that is used to make some sauces.

1 Like

Esmé is my favorite spelling! All the middle names you selected are really sweet. Esmé Rose is my favorite combination.
I adore Leigh, but unfortunately, I’m not sure if Esmé Leigh flows well. When I pronounce it out loud, it sounds like “Esmelee”. Esmé Roux is adorable and unique, but I only advice you to use Roux if you have a strong connection with France or another French-speaking country.

2 Likes

I prefer Esmée, but only because that is the common spelling where I live. And for a middle name I love Roux. Esmée Roux, very beautiful! I definitely think that Rose is a little over-used as a middle name, although it is lovely.

1 Like

Esmé for sure. I’d also check naming laws where you live to make sure you are allowed to put the accent. If not, Esme is still a lovely choice.

Leigh, in any variation, is just as common as Rose as a middle, and between the two I highly prefer Rose with Esmé.

Roux has a pleasant sound but my brain does immediately go to gravy or soup stock, so it isn’t my favorite.

1 Like

I would spell it with one E at the end, and I like the middle name Roux.

1 Like

I like the sound of Esmé Roux the best, but the spelling does bring to mind it’s cooking connotations. If you like the sound but don’t like that connection, I think Esmé Rue would be absolutely adorable!

3 Likes

I visually prefer the Esmé spelling! I wouldn’t worry about it not being the traditional French spelling; as a benefit, I think this spelling might help clarify the pronunciation. I love the sound of Esmé Roux but it does make the think of the cooking meaning, so I love taylorhart’s suggestion of Esmé Rue!

2 Likes

I personally prefer Esmée.
I like all yout middle name options but my favourite is Rose. I don’t think Rose is too common as a middle and even if it would be, I don’t think that would be a problem.
I love the sound and feel of Esmée Rose, to me it isn’t over the top frilly.
I don’t know what exactely you mean with over the top girly. Esmée Rose certainly is a feminine name to me, suitable for a young girl, but I think the name works well for an adult too.

1 Like

Hi @rosajune! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts, I appreciate it! We do prefer the EZ-may pronunciation as opposed to EZ-mee, so I think you’re right about Esmé being the spelling that will get more of our preferred pronunciation.

I also appreciate your comment about a more structured first/middle vs. a blended sound. I do agree that Rose has the most structure/distinction between the first/middle of the three. Along that line of thinking, what do you think of Esmé Raquel? Thank you!

2 Likes

Hi @Greyblue! Thanks so much for your response. We prefer EZ-may to EZ-mee, so I agree with your comment about spelling it Esmé. Thanks for your vote for Esmé Rose!

1 Like