Fave Modern Made-up Name

What’s your favourite modern made-up name? Interpret this however you like, we don’t need to argue over what qualifies as modern or made-up. It could even just be a word you’ve decided would make a lovely name. It doesn’t have to be one you’d seriously use. Where did you hear it?

Mine is [name_f]Katara[/name_f] (from Avatar the Last Airbender - as far as I can tell this was made-up by the creators of the show).

8 Likes

As far as modern and made-up, Celaena and [name_f]Aelin[/name_f] (Throne of Glass). As far as just made-up, 60’s crystal-hippie-are-you-in-a-cult names (e.g. Rainstorm, Moonlight, Moonbeam, [name_f]Tansy[/name_f]) are my GPs.

4 Likes

Oh there’s tons that I can’t think of right now lol.

One that does come to mind is [name_f]Eowyn[/name_f]. I love it but I’ve never read LOTR so I’d feel weird using it.

Another one would be [name_f]Sansa[/name_f]. Again, never read/seen GoT so it would feel weird. I would use [name_u]Arya[/name_u] though because that can be justified as a variation of [name_f]Aria[/name_f] imo.

6 Likes

I have a huge soft spot for Ferewin and Perannon. I also love Orpheama which is a family name made up a few generations ago.

1 Like

[name_f]Katara[/name_f] is a great name! She’s also my favorite character in that show (I re-watched the whole series not too long ago, for the first time in many years). I’ll probably think of some more later, but for now, my favorites are Taralyn, Kaylor, Calva, and Aalaya.

1 Like

Eris isn’t made up, though! She was the Ancient Greek goddess of chaos and discord! I love her very much!

1 Like

Oh, thank you! I saw the brand name of a product that I had and changed the spelling. I thought of another name and will edit my post accordingly!

1 Like

Another came to mind, so I’ll call this one an honourable mention: Evanora.

I recently discovered it while poking through lists for witch names - Evanora is a character from [name_m]Oz[/name_m] the Great and Powerful. I’m crushing on it in a big way right now.

1 Like

I agree that [name_f]Eowyn[/name_f] is lovely.

I have a client with a daughter named Hazleigh. It’s sort of like a mashup of [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] and [name_u]Paisley[/name_u]. On the one hand, I hate it, but on the other hand… the sound itself is so cute!

1 Like

Agreed, sounds cute but spelled horribly! [name_f]Haisley[/name_f] would be adorable :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Winry! I love it but I’ve never watched Fullmetal Alchemist so maybe it would be weird to use it? Also [name_f]Raelyn[/name_f]. I know it’s just [name_u]Rae[/name_u] and [name_u]Lyn[/name_u] smooshed together but the sound is so pretty!

2 Likes

Haisley is so sweet!

2 Likes

I know a [name_f]Raelyn[/name_f]! I definitely loved her name as soon as I heard it.

Also [name_f]Winry[/name_f] is a great name! I haven’t seen or read the series either, but I hear such good things! If I ever get back into watching anime it would be at top of my list.

I always suggest [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] to people who want something more unisex/modern because I just love it even though it’s not my style at all. I feel similar about [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u].

1 Like

To add to that my Dad says he really loves the name [name_f]Yue[/name_f]. And I really like the sound of [name_m]Aang[/name_m].

4 Likes

I don’t remember where I’ve seen [name_f]Haisley[/name_f] before, but it’s already on my list! I really like it!

1 Like

I like [name_m]Aang[/name_m] as well. Appa is really cool too!

1 Like

I’ve had a soft spot for Ember for years. And a recent favourite is, no joke - Alphabette. I briefly spotted it on r/namenerdcirclejerk. Obviously it was brought up as a joke but, I really like [name_f]Alpha[/name_f] and [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f], and Alphabette is a perfect combination of the two with the same sort of vibe as the regal [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], provided that you pretend that the word ‘alphabet’ doesn’t exist. I feel like it’s totally unusable but, I still love it.

2 Likes

Ooh yes, [name_u]Ember[/name_u] is so good! I’m genuinely shocked that the world ever bothered with the name [name_f]Amber[/name_f] when we could have been using [name_u]Ember[/name_u] this whole time, haha!

With the -bette spelling, Alphabette actually does look like a cute name :slight_smile:

I haven’t seen or heard most of these before - they’re so intriguing!

Aelin reminds me of [name_f]Aileen[/name_f], but more delicate and further away from the word alien (a nasty nickname my poor SIL got as a child). I like it!

Celaena feels like an interesting spin on [name_f]Selena[/name_f]. I’m living in a [name_u]French[/name_u] region right now, and they would actually pronounce these the same I think.