Favorite Marian names?

What are your favorite [name_u]Marian[/name_u] names (related to or variations of [name_f]Mary[/name_f])? They can be just versions in different languages ([name_u]Marie[/name_u], [name_f]Miriam[/name_f]…) names containing [name_f]Mary[/name_f] ([name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], [name_u]Marian[/name_u]) or just related somehow ([name_f]Annunziata[/name_f], [name_f]Stella[/name_f] [name_f]Maris[/name_f]…). I’ve realized that I really like this name family and was curious about what others thought! Additionally, although I put this in the girl category, if you like boy names that fit the criteria, I’d love to hear them.

Thank you!

3 Likes

I love [name_f]Miriam[/name_f] but I believe it probably came before [name_u]Marian[/name_u] and other “[name_f]Mary[/name_f]” names

I also love the [name_u]Marion[/name_u] version although I’m not sure whether it comes from [name_f]Mary[/name_f] or [name_f]Miriam[/name_f]. [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] is another favorite of mine!

1 Like

Some of the connections are more direct than others! The etymology is fairly unclear on many of the names in this family, but [name_f]Miriam[/name_f] is probably older than most of them.

I love [name_u]Marion[/name_u], [name_f]Miriam[/name_f], and [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] as well! Thanks for the answer.

Plain and simple [name_f]Mary[/name_f], definitely the best one! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I also like [name_u]Marion[/name_u], [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], and [name_u]Maria[/name_u] (pronounced Muh-rye-uh).

1 Like

Marion, [name_f]Miriam[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] are also my favourites! I quite like [name_f]Maryam[/name_f] and [name_u]Marie[/name_u] too.

2 Likes

Same here! I’m wracking my brains trying to think of one I don’t like. Thanks for the responses!

1 Like

Mary is definitely at least tied for my favorite [name_u]Marian[/name_u] name! is Muh-rye-uh a common pronunciation for [name_u]Maria[/name_u] in your area? I never hear that pronunciation without an h at the end here.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Lovely, thank you!

No, not at all. I actually heard it in [name_m]Hamilton[/name_m] and I really liked it!

1 Like

Rosemary and [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] are my favorites because they have the bonus of [name_u]Marian[/name_u] + nature associations.

Also love [name_f]Mara[/name_f] and just plain [name_f]Mary[/name_f].

2 Likes

I feel the same way about [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] and [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]! The lovely sound, the [name_u]Marian[/name_u] connection, and the natural imagery make me love them.

Love [name_f]Mara[/name_f] and [name_f]Mary[/name_f] as well! Thanks for responding!

1 Like

Ahhh my favourite name topic!
Salette
Laboure
Letteria
Sterpeta
Fiat
Prouille ([name_f]Pru[/name_f]-ee)
Civita
Magnificat
Consolasta
Imaculee
Avemaria
Walsingham
Biancamaria
Theotokos
Hailmary
Misericordia

2 Likes

Maren or [name_f]Mairead[/name_f] are my favourite

2 Likes

I love: [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], [name_f]Amaris[/name_f], [name_f]Maris[/name_f], [name_f]Maren[/name_f], and [name_f]Marae[/name_f]! I also like [name_f]Merry[/name_f], [name_f]Merryn[/name_f], and Merriall, although I don’t know if those count!

1 Like

@RelaxationVacation, thank you for the loads of interesting names! I especially like Biancamaria, [name_f]Consolata[/name_f], Avemaria, and Salette.

@Greyblue, thank you! [name_f]Maren[/name_f] is lovely, and I just remembered that I had a friend called [name_f]Mairead[/name_f] growing up!

@dogs_books, thank you! By my loose definition of [name_u]Marian[/name_u] for the moment, [name_f]Merry[/name_f] and the others definitely count (and are fantastic).

2 Likes

I LOVE Spanish composite names with [name_f]María[/name_f] -ESPECIALLY [name_f]María[/name_f] [name_u]Paz[/name_u] and [name_f]María[/name_f] [name_f]Luz[/name_f]. If I had any Hispanic heritage, I would have a little [name_f]María[/name_f] [name_u]Paz[/name_u] for sure!

1 Like

@almostactually I believe it’s a pronunciation used sometimes in England and maybe other parts of the UK, maybe not anymore but historically. Maria Reynolds (in Hamilton) lived in the US when there was still strong British influence in the US (and was married to a British officer so was probably British herself), so that makes sense.

My favorites are Miriam, Rosemary, Marigold, Marisol, Maren, Mae

1 Like

Mine is [name_u]Sol[/name_u] :sunny: which can come from [name_f]María[/name_f] del [name_u]Sol[/name_u] or [name_f]María[/name_f] de la [name_f]Soledad[/name_f].

Also love [name_u]Paz[/name_u], [name_f]Luz[/name_f], [name_f]Fe[/name_f], [name_f]Lourdes[/name_f], [name_f]Milagros[/name_f], [name_f]Socorro[/name_f], [name_f]Pilar[/name_f], [name_f]Belen[/name_f], Rocío and [name_u]Rosario[/name_u] :two_hearts:

3 Likes

Honestly I love so many [name_f]Mary[/name_f] names!

I love [name_f]Miriam[/name_f], [name_u]Marion[/name_u], [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], [name_f]Marianne[/name_f], [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], [name_f]May[/name_f] & [name_f]Marisol[/name_f]. I’ve been crushing on [name_f]Marisol[/name_f] of recent I just think the name is so gorgeous and delicate. I also love the association with the sea & sun it’s such a happy name. Normal People has made me fall further in love with [name_f]Marianne[/name_f] it’s so elegant feeling like a sweet twist on the [name_f]Marianne[/name_f]. [name_f]Miriam[/name_f], [name_u]Marion[/name_u] & [name_f]May[/name_f] are underused classics that deserve more use for sure! [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] is such a happy name and [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] is a beautiful cottage core choice.

Mary as a name in its own right is lovely just simple, understated and sweet.

You really can’t go wrong with [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_f]Mary[/name_f] names! There’s probably loads more that I love : )

1 Like

@LaviniaLavender, I’m a big fan of [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_f]María[/name_f] composite names as well. [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]María[/name_f] [name_u]Paz[/name_u] and [name_f]María[/name_f] [name_f]Luz[/name_f]!

Thanks, @Kipperbo1! I was curious if it was an older UK thing, but thank you for confirming it (and that it’s not the standard pronunciation anymore).

@tfzolghadr, thanks for the response!

I love those, @katinka! Thanks for the suggestions.

@tori101, I agree on all accounts! Thank you!

2 Likes