“Final” List

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all,

After some serious whittling and compromise, we have 4 names on our list. I’m not committing to this being the final list but it feels like this might be as close as we get.
Older sibs are Viv1an and Benn3tt.

In no order:

[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] - I love the nickname [name_u]Cal[/name_u], husband is lukewarm on it and [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] in general. Small worry about almost rhyming with Viv1an.
[name_u]Davis[/name_u] - we are worried it will constantly be mistaken for [name_u]David[/name_u]. Also we don’t love “Dave.”
[name_u]Griffin[/name_u] - This is my husband’s absolute favorite. I don’t hate it but it feels extremely hard/masculine to me. I also really dislike nickname [name_m]Griff[/name_m], but actually like [name_u]Finn[/name_u] a lot. Am I talking myself out of a good name?
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m] - I like the sound of it with the sibset but worry it’s too [name_u]French[/name_u] sounding? Is this in my head? This is my husband’s second choice.

Thanks for obsessing with me!
[name_f]Emily[/name_f]

5 Likes

Also we have 3 months to keep working on it.

[name_u]Griffin[/name_u] :two_hearts:

1 Like

This is fun!

I completely get where you are coming from with griffin!!! I feel the exact same way about that name. But yes, it definitely fits in with the set!

I like Calvin because it’s gentle.

Davis is cool and will not get mistaken for David imo, that “s” ending is so popular now, that it will fit right in!! Do you like Davie for a nn? I think it’s sooo cute for when he’s a baby. And of course, you don’t have to nickname him!

Davis gets my vote :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I like [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] a lot with his siblings. They each have a distinct sound, which is nice. I also really like [name_u]Griffin[/name_u], nickname [name_u]Finn[/name_u], but it shares a similar sound with [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]. I wouldn’t rule it out, but I’d perhaps look for another option.

I know brothers [name_u]Bennett[/name_u] and [name_u]Davis[/name_u] and they work well. I do think there will be some [name_u]David[/name_u] confusion, especially since s and d are right next to each other on a keyboard. But it would be manageable, and it’s a cool name.

1 Like

[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] - Agree with you on sounding like Vivi@n. Also too many letters shared with Vivi@n.
[name_u]Davis[/name_u] - [name_u]Will[/name_u] almost always be mistaken for Dav!d (USA). Wouldn’t cross my mind to nn it.
[name_u]Griffin[/name_u] - Definitely heavy on the masc. Would honestly have a hard time remembering nn’s.
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m] - Vivi@n’s also french (or at least the ‘fancier’ spelling is). Very good name.

TL;DR: [name_f]My[/name_f] vote’s [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]

1 Like

[name_u]Vivian[/name_u] and [name_u]Bennett[/name_u] are two of my favorite names! I like [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] or [name_u]Griffin[/name_u] with this set

1 Like

[name_u]Griffin[/name_u] is my absolute favorite! :yellow_heart: I would totally use it if I had another boy.

1 Like

I vote [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]! [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] and [name_u]Griffin[/name_u] feel too close to Vivian; [name_u]Davis[/name_u] would be my second choice but I do think it would often be mistakes for/misspelled as [name_u]David[/name_u], even my autocorrect changed it just right now. However, I still like the sound!

2 Likes

i’m in LOVE with griffin and hugo so those get my vote , goodluck :heart:

1 Like

I’m obsessed with Davis!!

2 Likes

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

Here are my thoughts-

Calvin-I don’t think that it’s too close to your daughter’s name. I think that it’s very cohesive with the sibling set in general. I really love [name_u]Cal[/name_u] more than I love [name_m]Calvin[/name_m]. I sometimes think that I like [name_m]Calum[/name_m] nn [name_u]Cal[/name_u], but today I’m liking [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] more. I also think that [name_u]Charles[/name_u] nn [name_u]Cal[/name_u] is kind of fun. Anyway, [name_u]Cal[/name_u] is charming and lovable and baseball player-y! Calvin/Cal is simple and well known but not too popular.

Davis-I would worry about this being mistaken for [name_u]David[/name_u] too and that he may be called [name_m]Dave[/name_m]. I almost feel like [name_m]Dave[/name_m] is more avoidable with [name_u]Davis[/name_u] than [name_u]David[/name_u] somehow. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like [name_u]David[/name_u]? I like [name_u]David[/name_u] more than [name_u]Davis[/name_u], personally.

Griffin-I totally feel you in that this name is too hard sounding. I’m more into soft boy names myself. I think that your son’s name is a great balance of masculine yet gentle. I love [name_u]Finn[/name_u] and really dislike [name_m]Griff[/name_m] too. It sounds like gruff. I don’t know that he’d get called [name_u]Finn[/name_u] unless you specifically called him [name_u]Finn[/name_u]. [name_m]Griff[/name_m] he may get naturally on occasion whether you like it or not. You could do just [name_u]Finn[/name_u] as a full name? [name_u]Or[/name_u] Finnian/Finnegan nn [name_u]Finn[/name_u].

Hugo-I don’t think that it sounds too [name_u]French[/name_u]. And if it did, that’s not a bad thing. It’s kind of cute and quirky but also dashing. I love the nn [name_m]Hughie[/name_m]. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you? It’s probably avoidable for the most part if you don’t.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] my rambling helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] is awesome. Other options maybe:
[name_u]Callan[/name_u]
[name_u]Ellis[/name_u]
[name_m]Xander[/name_m]
[name_u]Alden[/name_u]
[name_m]Esmond[/name_m]
[name_u]Grayson[/name_u]
[name_m]Quintin[/name_m]
[name_m]Colton[/name_m]

1 Like

I think [name_u]Davis[/name_u] is the best complement to both siblings’ names. I think it’s really common for kids not to go by nicknames now, so “Dave” is not inevitable.

1 Like

[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]! Such a no fuss name, handsome and warm and wonderful with your other kids.

1 Like

[name_m]Hugo[/name_m] is adorable with your other children!! :heart_eyes: What an adorable trio, they sound like straight out of a book. Plus I love how they each have a different ending sound too

2 Likes

I think Hugo’s really perfect.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite is [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]. I also like [name_u]Griffin[/name_u] - the G is harder than B and V but [name_m]Fin[/name_m] is a softer alternative nickname.

1 Like

I don’t think [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] is too close to [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] - if anything [name_u]Griffin[/name_u] is more likely to be mixed up with it imho. It works well with the sibset.

[name_u]Davis[/name_u] would most likely get called [name_u]David[/name_u] and [name_m]Dave[/name_m].

I’m in the minority here but I don’t find [name_u]Griffin[/name_u] hard or overtly masculine, I think the ff-sound is quite soft and it reads as a nature or mythology name to me, like a gryphon. However, if you prefer [name_u]Finn[/name_u] to [name_m]Griff[/name_m] I’d honestly just called him [name_u]Finn[/name_u]! It works on its own and with the siblings.

Finally [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] is lovely, it’s on my list! I don’t think it sounds particularly [name_u]French[/name_u] although it is popular all over Europe, which gives it a suave international flair. Cute on a boy, stylish on a man and timeless. [name_f]My[/name_f] reservation is that whilst it goes really well with [name_u]Vivian[/name_u], it’s quite different vibes from [name_u]Bennett[/name_u], for me. [name_u]Bennett[/name_u] is laid back and surnamey and goes better with [name_u]Finn[/name_u] or [name_m]Calvin[/name_m].

To conclude I think [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] best ties your sibs together but [name_u]Finn[/name_u] or [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] would also be good options :relaxed:

2 Likes

[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] -don’t love this if I’m honest. And it actually feels harder/more masc than [name_u]Griffin[/name_u] to me! [name_u]Cal[/name_u] is cute though

[name_u]Davis[/name_u] - a nice option, surnamey and cool. But if you don’t like [name_m]Dave[/name_m], he might end up being called that by a few people

[name_u]Griffin[/name_u] - love this. Rugged, cute and fresh and [name_u]Finn[/name_u] ia cool! See if it grows on you though, as you shouldn’t have to use one you don’t 100% love

[name_m]Hugo[/name_m] - bright, sweet and cool!! It doesn’t strike me as overly [name_u]French[/name_u], maybe because it’s popular in the UK? It’s a wonderful choice

2 Likes