First baby name stolen :(

[name_f]My[/name_f] first little one is due in [name_f]September[/name_f]! [name_m]Ive[/name_m] been set on naming her [name_f]Isla[/name_f] for months, with keeping it to ourselves as for a surprise for our family. She is due on my nannas birthday so we are going with ‘jean’ for middle name as a nod to her. [name_f]My[/name_f] brother and his gf are also pregnant, about a month behind and announced their name. Alothough it’s not [name_f]Isla[/name_f], it is so close and literallt when you Google isla, their name is the first alternative.

Now, my partner doesnt want to call her that as it is too close! Its been a hard first pregnancy feeling like ive had to share the experience and wuite frankly have watched them take all my ideas :frowning:

Im not quite ready to let go of the name [name_f]Isla[/name_f] and cant find another name that I love, however i thought there was no harm in asking for ideas! Middle name 100% will be [name_u]Jean[/name_u].

I’m sorry you’re feeling this way! However, if it was a surprise and they didn’t know the name you had chosen, I’m sure it wasn’t intentional!

These give me the same vibe as [name_f]Isla[/name_f] and go nicely with MN [name_u]Jean[/name_u], imo :slight_smile:

[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Zara[/name_f]
[name_f]Arla[/name_f]
[name_f]Orla[/name_f]
[name_f]Aria[/name_f]
[name_f]Mila[/name_f]
[name_f]Mia[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Bella[/name_f]
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosie[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsie[/name_f]
[name_f]Millie[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f]
[name_f]Gracie[/name_f]
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f]
[name_f]Zoe[/name_f]
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]
[name_f]Lola[/name_f]
[name_f]Lottie[/name_f]
[name_f]Myla[/name_f]
[name_f]Sienna[/name_f]
[name_f]Chloe[/name_f]
[name_f]Evie[/name_f]
[name_f]Eva[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f]
[name_f]Ella[/name_f]
[name_f]Ellie[/name_f]
[name_f]Darcie[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]

I’m so sorry you’re feeling this way–it does sound like a frustrating situation, even though it was unintentional. Hopefully we can help you find another name you love :blush: [name_m]Count[/name_m] any repeats as seconds! Maybe:

[name_m]Long[/name_m] “i” names: [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Ione[/name_f], [name_f]Maya[/name_f], [name_u]Skye[/name_u], [name_u]Riley[/name_u], [name_f]Kylie[/name_f], [name_f]Sarai[/name_f]

2-syllable, ends-in-a names: [name_f]Ada[/name_f], [name_f]Leah[/name_f]/Lia, [name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]Nora[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Leia[/name_f], [name_f]Lena[/name_f], [name_f]Nina[/name_f], [name_f]Eva[/name_f], [name_f]Luna[/name_f], [name_f]Stella[/name_f], [name_f]Mila[/name_f], [name_f]Nola[/name_f], [name_f]Keira[/name_f]/Kira/Kyra, [name_f]Anya[/name_f], [name_f]Bria[/name_f], [name_f]Thea[/name_f], [name_f]Willa[/name_f]

Other suggestions:

[name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f]
[name_u]Marley[/name_u]
[name_u]Willow[/name_u]
[name_u]Hadley[/name_u]
[name_f]Adeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f]
[name_f]Colette[/name_f]
[name_f]Brielle[/name_f]
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]

Good luck!!

1 Like

I hope you find another name you love!

Noa
[name_f]Lilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsie[/name_f]/Elise
[name_f]Callie[/name_f]
[name_f]Jeanie[/name_f] [name_f]Isla[/name_f] (Maybe instead of [name_f]Isla[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u])
Maevery
[name_f]Kara[/name_f]
[name_u]Sierra[/name_u]
[name_f]Hallie[/name_f]
[name_f]Calla[/name_f]/Callaway
[name_u]Shiloh[/name_u]
[name_f]Farah[/name_f]
[name_f]Iva[/name_f]/Ivalyn/Ivalee
[name_f]Libby[/name_f]
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]/Tess
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_u]Ivory[/name_u]
[name_f]Juno[/name_f] /Juniper
[name_u]Ellis[/name_u]
[name_u]Baylor[/name_u]/Bay
[name_f]Rhea[/name_f]

Wowza, you guys are on fire lol! So many great suggestions. Definetly a few there that are on the list, but not 100% sold on. Time to sit, ponder and see what feels right.

Thankyou!

1 Like

If the name they’ve chosen is [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] or [name_f]Iris[/name_f], I honestly don’t think you really need to give up [name_f]Isla[/name_f]. They’d be too close for sisters, imo, but not too close for cousins. (There are two girls in my family, first cousins and very close, named Mi@ and [name_f]Sophi[/name_f]@, and it’s not a big deal that the names are close, that they actually rhyme. As I said, I wouldn’t recommend it for sisters, but for cousins? Not a big deal at all.) I say this to encourage you because it seems like [name_f]Isla[/name_f] is the name you love, and I don’t think you should have to give it up! [name_f]Isla[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u] is such a sweet name. <3

But, if you feel it would bother you too much, here are the names I’d suggest:
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]/Dalia [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Ella[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Eva[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Lana[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Liza[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Lola[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Lyla[/name_f]/Lilah [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]

1 Like

I’m sorry you’re feeling that way.

Names like [name_f]Isla[/name_f]

Ivy [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Lola[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Leila[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_u]Briar[/name_u] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Skyla[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Kaia[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Callie[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Tilda[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]

I’m so sorry this happened! I am a firm believer in naming your baby exactly what you want to name him/her. I would still go with [name_f]Isla[/name_f]. [name_f]Isla[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u] is so perfect! I agree with some other responses that if it were a sister situation, it might be too close, but cousins are fine. I’d explain that you had that particular name saved and you’d still like to use it. I’m in a similar situation where our good friends just named their baby the one boy’s name that we have had saved (unannounced) for years and we still plan on using that name if we have a boy. Good luck. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oh no, that’s a real bummer :persevere: you could definitely still use [name_f]Isla[/name_f], but I understand the disappointment.
names that are similar in sound or style I can think of:

[name_f]Maya[/name_f]
[name_f]Ida[/name_f]
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Kyla[/name_f]
[name_f]Irie[/name_f] (eye-ree), a personal fave of mine!
[name_f]Eva[/name_f]
[name_f]Lyla[/name_f]
[name_f]Ava[/name_f]
[name_f]Raina[/name_f]
[name_f]Shyla[/name_f]
[name_u]Skye[/name_u]

that’s the best I can come up with off the top of my head… best of luck to you

Twila [name_u]Jean[/name_u] and [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u] sound really similar. I think those would work nicely.

I’m sorry. I’m sure nothing you hear will do right now, because your heart is set on [name_f]Isla[/name_f], which, what a gorgeous name. That really is disappointing, and I’m bummed for you.

It is an odd truth that when we are in the same life phase as those closest to us, we can absolutely find ourselves in situations like this one where thoughts and ideas begin to overlap. Strange, and in this case frustrating, but not uncommon. Have you ever had your menstrual cycle line up with another woman that you were spending lots of time with? Or maybe you’ve at least heard of that happening?

It seems to be an energy thing. Like energy attracts like energy, and suddenly we’re in sync. [name_m]Even[/name_m] when we don’t want to be. :confused::heartpulse:

When I said “[name_u]Jean[/name_u]” out loud, the name “[name_f]Aria[/name_f]“ came to mind.

[name_f]Aria[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]

[name_f]Aisa[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u] (pronounced A-sah)

[name_f]Ella[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]

Different page, but:

Onawa [name_u]Jean[/name_u]

“Onawa“ is a Native American name.
Meaning: “awaken” or “awake”.

:two_hearts:

1 Like

Can I ask what drew you to [name_f]Isla[/name_f] in the first place? Generally speaking, was it the meaning or just the feeling of it being the name for your LO? If it was the feeling of it being the name for you LO, I would still go with it. If it was anything else, I have a few ideas for names in mind, but they are all over the place.

First of all : I completely know where you are coming from. [name_f]My[/name_f] partner and I struggled to get pregnant and my sister wasn’t planning her pregnancy. We were due 2 weeks apart. We had a lot of really major issues in our pregnancy, including surgeries on myself and the baby and than ended up having a preemie and nicu stay and she had a quick and easy birth. So I feel ya !!

My advice is if you love the name use it. Your kids will be cousins not siblings. And [name_f]Isla[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u] is a gorgeous choice.

If you really have to go back to the drawing board
I would suggest
[name_f]Isabel[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u] nn [name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_f]Alyssa[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u] nn [name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_f]Aisling[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]

2 Likes

I think you should use [name_f]Isla[/name_f].

1 Like

Zara
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_u]Indie[/name_u]

The name [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] might be another option with a similar sound, depending on your personal feelings about the name. I think it’s a beautiful name, but I know some have reservations about it because of the bible association.

All the best

You can’t steal something that hasn’t been claimed! I’d reach out to them if you want, but you don’t owe them anything. [name_m]Just[/name_m] name your daughter what you want to name her! Whether they’re incredibly close names, or exactly the same name – it doesn’t matter unless you make it matter!

4 Likes

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I googled ‘alternatives for the name [name_f]Isla[/name_f]’, & the first name that popped up doesn’t seem too close at all! I assume that’s what you mean?

But if I’m wrong & the name is actually closer & too close for a first cousin, I’m sorry. That’s a bummer. [name_f]Isla[/name_f] is a beautiful name, but honestly, it’s getting really popular. I’ve heard three new babes in my circle of acquaintances w/new little baby Islas in the past couple of years.

A few names that reminds me of [name_f]Isla[/name_f] that you may like are…

[name_f]Chloe[/name_f]

[name_f]Calla[/name_f]

[name_u]Eliya[/name_u]

[name_f]Eilidh[/name_f]

[name_f]Eilis[/name_f]

[name_f]Lila[/name_f]

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]

[name_f]Maire[/name_f]

[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]

[name_f]Maia[/name_f]

[name_f]Nora[/name_f]

[name_u]Skye[/name_u]

[name_f]Sofie[/name_f]

[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]

[name_u]Vida[/name_u]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

Chiming in to agree wholeheartedly that if [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] (which is what came up on Google) is the name they have chosen, you should absolutely stick with [name_f]Isla[/name_f]. It’s not too close for cousins. Same goes for [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_u]Ivory[/name_u], etc.

[name_f]Remember[/name_f] (unless you’re super duper close with your brother’s family) - the two girls might see each other a handful of times a year in childhood and then barely associate as adults. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you want to give up [name_f]Isla[/name_f] for your daughter when relatively speaking, she might not run in the same circles as her cousin for much of her life?

For me, at age 22 I barely see my cousins.

Good on you for reaching out to search again and being willing to compromise, but I say go with the name you love. Your brother doesn’t own [name_f]Isla[/name_f] just because they’ve chosen something similar. It’s your first baby. Go with the name that stole your heart. You might always regret it if you don’t!

As far as your partner goes, they might see you go through the whole labour and birth and then realise that you should have the final say on the baby’s name :wink:

2 Likes

Team [name_f]Isla[/name_f]!

If it has been your name of choice forever, go for it. The fact that they announced their similar name before you announced yours shouldn’t be a reason to change it.

1 Like