Flora - about to soar in popularity?

Alatari here with another annoying post asking people to predict the future! But hey, you don’t love me for my patience :wink:

I love [name_f]Flora[/name_f] so much, but I can’t get over the fact that it has everything the current trendy names have ([name_f]Luna[/name_f], [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], [name_f]Florence[/name_f] etc) and presents a great alternative to [name_f]Cora[/name_f] now that [name_f]Corona[/name_f] has had an impact on its popularity… I’m wondering if it’s likely to jump the charts in the coming years.

NB has it predicted at #548 in 2028 … but it’s already #291 in [name_f]England[/name_f] which is usually ahead of US trends. It could also be more popular than it looks… by way of being a nickname for [name_f]Florence[/name_f]? (#16 in UK)

I think parents who like [name_f]Luna[/name_f] but don’t like the popularity might google ‘roman goddess names’ and come up with [name_f]Flora[/name_f]. Rhymes with up-and-coming [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], great alternative to [name_f]Cora[/name_f], awesome nickname option for [name_f]Florence[/name_f]… two syllable, fresh but vintage, mythological association, ends in a, easy to spell and pronounce… is this a recipe for Top 50?

2 Likes

I do think that [name_f]Flora[/name_f] is going to increase in popularity, maybe not in the US, but potentially in European countries. I know that in the UK [name_f]Florence[/name_f] is very high in popularity and [name_f]Flora[/name_f]/Florence are very similar.

3 Likes

Yikes I hope not my top boy name has been a hidden gem for so long but NB predicts it might go higher (checked today it’s at 8% rising) [name_f]Flora[/name_f] is a favorite of mine and has special meaning giving how the first representation in media for me was a character named [name_f]Flora[/name_f], a shame, but a name trends a name trend :sob::sob::sob:

1 Like

I think it definitely has potential and appeal, but my guess is that it will take some time for it to get so popular we’re hearing it everywhere. The NB prediction seems reasonable, and I could see it rising to that range within the decade. But I don’t see it jumping into the Top 100 that quickly. :slight_smile:

But you never know. :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

I couldn’t see it rising all that quickly, honestly. I couldn’t see it getting in the top 100 in the US in the next decade.

3 Likes

F names aren’t very popular here… I wonder if that will hold it back.

1 Like

I live in the U.K. and love [name_f]Flora[/name_f] I also know a few Floras. I agree it has all the qualities of being top 50. I also love [name_f]Fauna[/name_f] which I feel is less likely to hit top 50

2 Likes

I live in the US and I have never once met a [name_f]Flora[/name_f] (or a [name_f]Florence[/name_f] or a [name_f]Dora[/name_f] for that matter, and the only [name_f]Cora[/name_f] I know is a [name_f]Coraline[/name_f] which is definitely not popular here), but I could see [name_f]Flora[/name_f] rising in popularity quite easily. I do have a hard time seeing it get into even the top 100, though. I’ve been surprised before though — the popularity of [name_f]Luna[/name_f], previously high on my list, has shocked me. So who knows what’s to come?

1 Like

I do think [name_f]Flora[/name_f] is going to grow in popularity. As you say, it’s a good alternative to popular names and a nn for one that’s also already very popular in the UK. I also believe it’s become more well known since the show, Haunting of [name_m]Bly[/name_m] Manor

1 Like

I think it will grow in popularity, probably not top 50 in US. In UK and elsewhere I can see it getting even more popular.

1 Like

I think [name_f]Flora[/name_f] would be more popular in the UK if there wasn’t a popular brand of margarine named [name_f]Flora[/name_f] here (I don’t know if it exists in other countries). When I’ve mentioned the name to people in the past, they often mention the margarine. I really like [name_f]Flora[/name_f], so the margarine connection is a bit of a downer. Same with [name_f]Lenore[/name_f] (because of [name_f]Lenor[/name_f] fabric softener). Brands need to stop ruining good names!

2 Likes

I absolutely love [name_f]Flora[/name_f] too. I live in the UK and I’m puzzled as to why it’s still so low on our charts, especially with [name_f]Florence[/name_f] being so popular here. To me, [name_f]Flora[/name_f] has more universal appeal than [name_f]Florence[/name_f], which can feel a bit lacy or stodgy to some.

However, I think this is a good point :point_down:

And I have also quite often seen people reference “gut flora” as the reason they don’t love this name.

I would take the UK popularity as a good sign, actually. Yes, it’s climbed a little in the past 5 or so years, but it’s been moderately popular for decades (our records start in 1996, and it hasn’t dropped out of the Top 500 in that time), and still hasn’t got near the Top 100:

Compare to [name_f]Florence[/name_f], which really has boomed:

2 Likes

I also encountered [name_f]Flora[/name_f] and [name_f]Fauna[/name_f] jokes. Like why not [name_f]Fauna[/name_f], as sister to [name_f]Flora[/name_f].
Also, to me [name_f]Flora[/name_f] is similar to not only [name_f]Cora[/name_f], but [name_f]Nora[/name_f], [name_f]Mora[/name_f]/Maura, [name_f]Lora[/name_f]/Laura, [name_u]Sora[/name_u], [name_f]Dora[/name_f], [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], [name_f]Aura[/name_f], [name_f]Jora[/name_f], and these types of names weren’t as popular as you might think. Most popular are [name_f]Laura[/name_f] (now slightly dated) and new star [name_f]Aurora[/name_f].
I think it’s name that will be popular among geeky types of mum, but not really shiny enough to other mums.

Florence is name even I like in theory, but it’s place name with alternative name in my language (Firenca), so I prefer Floramy, operatic name, or [name_u]Florian[/name_u] - for male name.

1 Like

I could see it rising, but I don’t think it will end up in the top 50 very soon.

1 Like

I think NZ tends to follow (and sometimes be ahead of!) UK/Europe trends rather than US, so perhaps that’s where my concern comes from. :thinking:

I hope so! That’s my personal popularity limit hehehhe

The 2028 prediction is my absolute favourite feature! That will probably be around the exact time I have my kids, so it’s been super handy.

I’m in the exact same boat. Used to have [name_f]Luna[/name_f] in my top 5 five-ish years ago, and I’m just shocked seeing it rise so quickly and take so many other great, undiscovered two-syllable gems along with it!

[name_m]Can[/name_m] confirm, this does exist in [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand but isn’t a pop culture moment by any means, most people don’t know it by brand name. Thank god for [name_f]Flora[/name_f] Margarine if it keeps [name_f]Flora[/name_f]'s popularity down is all I say! :joy:

Exactly this!

This is a good point too. This association doesn’t bother me because the human body is so amazing, but I can see it grossing some people out. I’m grateful for anything that stops other parents using [name_f]Flora[/name_f] tbh :speak_no_evil:

Wow that graph is amazing (you always have the most helpful answers!) and it really soothes my anxiety lol. Something that has simmered along just below the surface for a while is exactly the type of name I’d want to go for.

Great point! There are lots of -ora names that aren’t as popular and there’s no reason this one in particular has to follow suit. [name_u]Or[/name_u] so I’ll keep telling myself :wink:

2 Likes

[name_m]Just[/name_m] be aware that the Y axes are on different scales in these two graphs – so [name_f]Florence[/name_f] was more popular than [name_f]Flora[/name_f] in 1996 and has continued to be so. But you can see the difference in popularity growth. [name_f]Flora[/name_f] has proved pretty stable, all things considered.

1 Like

I think it will rise in the UK but not much in the US. F names are really rare here for starters. And something about [name_f]Flora[/name_f] just seems extremely British to my American ears. I couldn’t pinpoint exactly what it is, but I just think there is significantly less appeal here (and [name_f]Florence[/name_f] is wildly less popular here, as well).

I can see it rising in popularity somewhat, but in the US, it hasn’t cracked the top 1000 yet, so it has a ways to go I believe there, and in the UK it may rise, but I can’t see it reaching the top 100 in the next 5 or so years.

I agree with pp it rise in popularity but won’t get in to the top 100 in the US. UK and Europe I think it has a chance to get maybe top 50ish. I think in the US, it will be outshined by [name_f]Nora[/name_f], [name_f]Cora[/name_f] and [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]. [name_f]Nora[/name_f] and [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] are soaring in popularity. I also think even with [name_f]Corona[/name_f], [name_f]Cora[/name_f] will continue to increase in popularity. [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] especially is on trend to hit top 20, maybe even top 10 in the US one day (I know maybe 3-4 in real life now, and a local hospital system put out top baby names of 2021 and [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] was number 7)

I think what is holding [name_f]Flora[/name_f] back is the [name_f]Flora[/name_f] and [name_f]Fauna[/name_f] and Microflora.

1 Like

I think it will definitely get into the top 200, but maybe not the top 50. and not very soon. It definitely has a lot of appeal and all the makings of a top name, but still rising slowly.