Frederick nn Red and sibsets, etc. Skip to page 2

I really like [name]Basil[/name] pronounced [name]Bay[/name]-zul (I’m not very good at writing out pronunciations… what I mean is the same way you say the herb). I don’t like it said Baa-zul or bah-zul, though (well, I like it on British guys in old movies, but not for a son!). I started liking this name because of the new show Life Unexpected where there is a character named [name]Nathan[/name] [name]Basil[/name], who goes by [name]Baze[/name]. I’m not sure how well the name [name]Basil[/name] would go over (in [name]California[/name] and Pennsylvania). Is [name]Blaise[/name] better?

Hey [name]Lyndsay[/name]! (I gave you the chocolate icing recipe on the other thread, and just remembered that I used it on a banana cake, which was great.) I think that [name]Basil[/name] is a really cool name. The [name]Basil[/name] I know (he’s older) pronounces his name like Bazz-il, but baze-il seems more logical to me, especially because it’s how the herb is pronounced in the US.

I’m thinking that [name]Dashiell[/name] and [name]Basil[/name] are kind of similar though. Hmm…I remember when you mentioned [name]Blaise[/name] before, and I thought it was really handsome. I can totally see [name]Dashiell[/name] and [name]Blaise[/name] (you could still call him [name]Baze[/name]), and if [name]Dashiell[/name] and [name]Basil[/name] aren’t too similar for you (I guess it’s just the L endings), I think it’s cool.

What would the middles be?

Take care!

Oh!!! I totally thought of you the other day!!! Hot off the heels of the [name]Paul[/name] Blart: Mall Cop fiasco, I was sucked into watching the first 30 mintues or so of the [name]Hannah[/name] [name]Montana[/name] movie. It’s still too painful to talk about…

Haha, the [name]Hannah[/name] [name]Montana[/name] movie… I haven’t seen that one yet. One of my guilty pleasures is the [name]Lizzie[/name] [name]McGuire[/name] movie, though, so I might possibly actually like it. I have a thing for really bad, teen movies (Drive Me Crazy, [name]Princess[/name] Diaries one AND two, etc.). I mostly watch them when I’m sick, though.

I saw the recipe and it sounds delicious ([name]Chris[/name] would be in heaven if it were on banana cake, that’s his favorite!). But sadly I’m not making the cake. Ended up getting one at Costco because I’ve been so swamped and stressed lately. Blah blah blah. It is pretty cute though, it has a caterpillar on it and they wrote “[name]Happy[/name] Birthday [name]Dash[/name]!”. Oh! And they had two big jars of Nutella for $8.00! What a bargain! And [name]Dash[/name] has had a crepe with jelly and banana every morning since you gave me that recipe, and I still have a bunch frozen. Thank you!

I’m glad that you like the [name]Bay[/name]-zul pronunciation. It occurred to me, too, that it’s too similar to [name]Dashiell[/name]. It probably would never make my short list anyway, so I guess it doesn’t matter much. I’m just always on the lookout for B names, and I really like [name]Baze[/name]. I really like [name]Blaise[/name] (a lot)… but I feel like, hmm, it seems like it’s trying too hard, with [name]Dashiell[/name]. But on the other hand, that might make them perfect for each other… [name]Both[/name] very uncommon, both have a soft look, but (in my opinion) masculine connotation ([name]Dash[/name] and [name]Blaze[/name]). I don’t know what genre they are, though, I mean [name]Dashiell[/name] isn’t really classic or traditional or vintage or anything really, it’s actually mostly modern I guess, but doesn’t feel that way to me. [name]Blaise[/name] is ancient, but feels modern because of the blaze connection. Hmm, I know I’m overthinking this. No one even thinks about this stuff other than all of us… and I’m not having another baby for probably 4 years. Still…

So know why I’m writing so much? I’m supposed to be doing homework. That’s what happens when you try to do homework on the computer when you’re too tired! Sheesh!

Can you think of anything [name]Frisco[/name] could be a nickname for other than [name]Francisco[/name]? I’ve racked my brain and I can’t. I think [name]Frisco[/name] is such a fun nickname, but [name]Chris[/name] doesn’t like [name]Francisco[/name] (and maybe I don’t quite love it for my own child, either, I like it on other people, though). What about any other fun/unusual nicknames? Here’s what I have so far:

[name]Ace[/name] - [name]Angus[/name] (love this, what do you think?)
[name]Frisco[/name] - [name]Francisco[/name]
[name]Indie[/name] - [name]Indiana[/name], [name]Indio[/name]
[name]Link[/name] - [name]Lincoln[/name]
[name]Sully[/name]/[name]Van[/name] - [name]Sullivan[/name] (I don’t like this, though)
[name]Augie[/name]- [name]August[/name]
[name]Hardy[/name]/[name]Hart[/name] - [name]Richard[/name]
[name]Oz[/name]- [name]Oscar[/name], [name]Ozias[/name], etc.
[name]Rusty[/name]/[name]Rush[/name] - [name]Russell[/name]
[name]West[/name] - [name]Wesley[/name]
[name]Domino[/name]- [name]Dominic[/name]
[name]Dex[/name] - [name]Declan[/name]/[name]Dexter[/name]
[name]Ziggy[/name] - [name]Isaac[/name]

I can’t believe I’m still awake! I wasn’t feeling well and slept all day, so now I’m wide awake. I actually like cheesy teen movies, too, and thought the Lizze [name]McGuire[/name] movie was really cute. (I love The [name]Princess[/name] Diaries, too, and will watch anything involving [name]Julie[/name] Andrews. I’d even watch her reading out of a telephone book.)

[name]Dash[/name]'s cake sounds really cute! I hope he has/had a happy birthday! :slight_smile:

Two large jars of Nutella for only $8.00? Wow! High-fives to Costco!

I’m so glad that [name]Dash[/name] is enjoying his crepes! For breakfast, I love filling mine with yogurt and bananas. Oh! I forgot to tell you that I bought the marshmallow creme and made the best peanut butter/marshmallow dip for apples. Let me know if you want the recipe…

I know what you mean about [name]Dashiell[/name]'s name. I was thinking that its style is “jaunty.” When I looked up jaunty, just to make sure I had the right term (I did) :-), I found descriptions like “stylish,” “chic,” “genteel,” “self-confident,” “brisk,” “crisp,” and “dapper,” which all fit [name]Dashiell[/name] to me. I picture an intelligent, stylish, sophisticated, romantic, aristocratic European man when I hear [name]Dashiell[/name], and [name]Basil[/name] and [name]Blaise[/name] are the same way for me.

Other names with that feel to me:

[name]Augustin[/name]
[name]Ambrose[/name]
[name]Byron[/name]
[name]Barnaby[/name]
[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Clive[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Lionel[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Otto[/name]
[name]Piers[/name]
[name]Quillen[/name]
[name]Raphael[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Thaddeus[/name]
[name]Winston[/name]

I love [name]Dashiell[/name]'s name! :slight_smile:

I hope that school is going well for you! :slight_smile:

Talk to you later…

[name]Ace[/name] - [name]Angus[/name] (love this, what do you think?): I think it’s handsome…I also love [name]Gus[/name], I but I know that’s the expected nickname…
[name]Frisco[/name] - [name]Francisco[/name]: Handsome…
[name]Indie[/name] - [name]Indiana[/name], [name]Indio[/name]: I like it…[name]Do[/name] you like [name]Indigo[/name]?
[name]Link[/name] - [name]Lincoln[/name]: I love this, and think it’s so cool with [name]Dashiell[/name]. Oh! I can also see [name]Truman[/name] with [name]Dashiell[/name]…
[name]Sully[/name]/[name]Van[/name] - [name]Sullivan[/name] (I don’t like this, though): You could also get [name]Van[/name] from [name]Evander[/name] and [name]Sully[/name] from [name]Solomon[/name] ([name]Solly[/name] is more obvious, though…)
[name]Augie[/name]- [name]August[/name]: I love this so much, and I knew the most handsome [name]August[/name] ([name]Augie[/name]) when I was a teenager.
[name]Hardy[/name]/[name]Hart[/name] - [name]Richard[/name]: I’ll vote for [name]Hart[/name] because of “hard” jokes in middle school. :slight_smile:
[name]Oz[/name]- [name]Oscar[/name], [name]Ozias[/name], etc.: Very cool…
[name]Rusty[/name]/[name]Rush[/name] - [name]Russell[/name]: I think of [name]Rush[/name] Limbaugh, so I like some of the others more…
[name]West[/name] - [name]Wesley[/name]: I love it!!!
[name]Domino[/name]- [name]Dominic[/name]: Handsome…
[name]Dex[/name] - [name]Declan[/name]/[name]Dexter[/name]: I love it! [name]Add[/name] [name]Dexter[/name] to that jaunty list I wrote…
[name]Ziggy[/name] - [name]Isaac[/name]: So cute!!!

For [name]Frisco[/name], what about [name]Frederick[/name] as a first name for the FR and an S middle and a C middle? ([name]Frederick[/name] [name]Samuel[/name] [name]Conrad[/name]= [name]Frisco[/name]…) And what about [name]Francis[/name]? You could call a [name]Francis[/name] “[name]Frisco[/name].”

My favorites: [name]Lincoln[/name], [name]August[/name], the [name]Oz[/name] names, [name]Wesley[/name]/[name]West[/name], [name]Ziggy[/name]/[name]Isaac[/name] (so cute!)…

You always come up with the best names!

Aw, I’m sorry you weren’t feeling well today. Are you better now? I hope so! I adore [name]Julie[/name] Andrews, too. She is probably my favorite actress of all time. Did I ever tell you I saw her in person at the UCLA Bookfair? There was an absurd line to get her autograph and I was unfortunately with a club that was not willing to wait. But she was there and I saw her! She read a book aloud to kids, it was great! Oh and you know in the [name]Princess[/name] Diaries when they do the arm wrestling? Well I’ve been there and wrestled that very same mechanical arm!

Mm, yogurt and banana sounds good in a crepe. [name]Dash[/name] hasn’t had dairy yet, but I think I will try that myself. I would love the recipe for the dip, it sounds so delicious.

I love your “jaunty” description. I think I will go with that! The name [name]Dashiell[/name] does feel that way to me for sure.

[name]Augustin[/name] - I prefer [name]August[/name], think that works?
[name]Ambrose[/name] - This is such a cool name, too cool for me, I think, but it’s awesome. I feel the same about [name]Alistair[/name].
[name]Bryon[/name] - Is this just [name]Brian[/name] spelled different? Or [name]Byron[/name]? I love the ry sound .
[name]Barnaby[/name] - I’d call him [name]Abey[/name], cute :slight_smile:
[name]Conrad[/name] - I love [name]Conrad[/name] because of Bye, Bye [name]Birdie[/name]. [name]Rad[/name]!
[name]Clive[/name] - This is cool! [name]Dashiell[/name] and [name]Clive[/name] are pretty awesome together.
[name]Felix[/name] - I used to love [name]Felix[/name], but something about feels off to me now
[name]Hugo[/name] - I don’t know why, but I’m not on the [name]Hugo[/name] bandwagon yet
[name]Lionel[/name] - [name]LOVE[/name] this one, it’s one of my favorite ways to get to [name]Leo[/name], one of my top names
[name]Milo[/name] - one of my best friends recently changed his name to [name]Miles[/name], so I wouldn’t feel right using [name]Milo[/name], but I love it.
[name]Otto[/name] - [name]Otto[/name] is so interesting. [name]Otmar[/name] is a family name on [name]Chris[/name]’ side that his dad would love someone to use… I thought about using [name]Otto[/name] instead… but what would the nickname be?
[name]Piers[/name] - Really cool
[name]Quillen[/name] - [name]Ah[/name]! Is [name]Quillen[/name] a real name? I love it! I’ve been in love with [name]Quill[/name] since I read Twilight! I could really see this with [name]Dashiell[/name].
[name]Raphael[/name] - So cool but not right for us
[name]Sebastian[/name] - I’d want to call him Bash, and [name]Dash[/name] and Bash is a no-no
[name]Thaddeus[/name] - Intriguing…
[name]Winston[/name] - This is cool, but would the nickname be [name]Win[/name]?

For [name]Frisco[/name], what about [name]Frederick[/name] as a first name for the FR and an S middle and a C middle? ([name]Frederick[/name] [name]Samuel[/name] [name]Conrad[/name]= [name]Frisco[/name]…) And what about [name]Francis[/name]? You could call a [name]Francis[/name] “[name]Frisco[/name].”

My favorites: [name]Lincoln[/name], [name]August[/name], the [name]Oz[/name] names, [name]Wesley[/name]/[name]West[/name], [name]Ziggy[/name]/[name]Isaac[/name] (so cute!)…

You always come up with the best names![/quote]

Your favorites are most of my favorites, too! I really like [name]Ziggy[/name] for [name]Isaac[/name], and I love that [name]Isaac[/name] means laughter. I love [name]Oz[/name], but I don’t really love any of the longer versions (I do like [name]Oscar[/name], but I don’t like it with my last name), and I don’t think I’d use it on it’s own. I’ve been crushing on [name]Wesley[/name] nn [name]West[/name] for a very long time, now. It’d be kinda cool since I’m from the west coast and we’ll be hopefully living on the east coast, so it would honor my roots. I also know an [name]Augie[/name] in high school, I always loved his name. He was a punk, he had the hugest spikes in his hair, he was really cool. And of course [name]Lincoln[/name], [name]Chris[/name]’ number 1. I like it, don’t love it. I always see streets and schools and cars and everything called [name]Lincoln[/name], and that puts me off it.

I like your ideas to get [name]Frisco[/name]. I love me some [name]Frederick[/name]. I don’t have any S or C family names to use, though… boo. [name]Francis[/name] is my baby nephew’s middle name, so it’s out.

Oh, and I love [name]Indigo[/name]… but I get the feeling it’s gone to the girls, though I prefer it for a boy.

Oh, I’m fine now. Thanks! :slight_smile: That’s so cool that you went to one of [name]Julie[/name] Andrews’ readings! I love her children’s books. I saw her on Broadway ([name]Victor[/name]/[name]Victoria[/name]) right before she had the surgery that ruined her vocal chords (so sad). I was sitting in the front row, and it was such a great experience.

You wrestled on the arm? That’s great! I want to do that! A few months ago, I was watching HBO and saw the remake of [name]Little[/name] Miss Marker with [name]Julie[/name] Andrews. I had totally forgotten that she was in that movie!

Here’s the recipe for the dip (it’s from Jif):

1/2 cup marshmallow creme
1/4 cup JIF Creamy Peanut Butter
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons water

1. Combine ingredients in small bowl. Whisk until blended. Refrigerate 30 minutes before serving.

I really loved it! I hope the inventor of marshmallow creme won a Nobel Prize. Brilliant… :slight_smile:

Yes, I totally think that [name]August[/name] works! I only listed [name]Augustin[/name] because you’d already listed [name]August[/name]. I meant [name]Byron[/name], so [name]Bryon[/name] was a typo. Oops! I love [name]Conrad[/name], nn [name]Rad[/name], and I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Dashiell[/name] with [name]Clive[/name]! I forgot that you love [name]Leo[/name]! It’s one of my favorites, too!

I can’t really think of any nicknames for [name]Otto[/name]. The [name]Otto[/name] I knew went by [name]Otto[/name] (actually, I knew two Ottos who were called [name]Otto[/name], no nickname). Hmm… If he had a Z middle, he could be [name]Oz[/name].

Whoa! I just looked up [name]Quillen[/name], and it says it’s a variation of [name]Quillan[/name], which is pronounced Kill-an! Yikes!It’s also a variation of [name]Quillon[/name], which is pronounced Kill-on! Too bad…I thought it was pronounced like [name]Quill[/name]-en. Darn!

[name]Do[/name] you like [name]Whittaker[/name]?

I love [name]Wesley[/name]/[name]West[/name] with [name]Dashiell[/name]. [name]Frederick[/name] has really been growing on me lately… I’d love to meet another [name]Augie[/name]!

For [name]Frederick[/name], what’s your favorite nickname? I like [name]Fred[/name] and [name]Freddy[/name]. If someone is really adventurous, they could even go with [name]Red[/name]! (Awe, that reminds me of Fraggle [name]Rock[/name], one of my favorite shows when I was little. There was a Fraggle named [name]Red[/name].) I can’t remember the last time I met a little [name]Frederick[/name]/[name]Fred[/name]/[name]Freddie[/name], and I’d love to hear it!

I never thought of [name]Red[/name] as a nickname for [name]Frederick[/name], I like it a lot. I love [name]Fred[/name] and [name]Freddy[/name]/[name]Freddie[/name]. I like [name]Fritz[/name] for other people, but if I had a [name]Frederick[/name] he’d be [name]Freddy[/name]. So unassuming, but unexpected at the same time. I can’t imagine not liking a boy called [name]Freddy[/name]. I also like [name]Rico[/name]. The more I think about [name]Red[/name], the more I like it. I might be able to convince [name]Chris[/name] of that. I always tell him that [name]Frederick[/name] is my favorite name, and he doesn’t believe me. I think it is, though. In the same way that I think [name]Elizabeth[/name] is my favorite girls name. Not exciting or unusual, just classic and gorgeous.

I think [name]Frederick[/name] “[name]Red[/name]” (or [name]Freddy[/name]) would be so cool with [name]Dashiell[/name] “[name]Dash[/name].” I think that [name]Frederick[/name] is so handsome! I completely understand what you’re saying about [name]Frederick[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name]. That’s the way I feel about [name]Anne[/name] as a first name. As much as I love other, more complicated names, I keep coming back to [name]Anne[/name].

Oh! I made a thread to celebrate [name]Dash[/name]'s Birthday! I hope he likes his gifts. :wink:

Wow, front row for [name]Julie[/name] Andrews?! Amazing! If you ever go to San [name]Francisco[/name] you must visit the Musee Mechanique, it’s where the arm is. It’s a free little museum filled with fun old stuff like that arm and fortune telling machines and such, it’s like a vintage arcade. It’s at Fisherman’s Wharf.

I am definitely going to make that dip, it sounds delicious! And so simple! Once I made peanut butter and fluff pinwheels, they were good but they looked a mess. It would work better to make this dip and spread it on the tortillas. That would be delish.

That is too bad about [name]Quillen[/name]… though, who actually knows that name? You could probably get away with just telling people it’s pronounced quill-en… who would make the correction? I think you invented the name Quillem for me a while back. I still love that.

Hmm, [name]Whittaker[/name]… I’ve never considered that. It reminds me a lot of [name]Forest[/name]… but it’s a much better way to get the nickname [name]Whit[/name] than [name]Whitney[/name].

Yeah, front row! So close, yet so far away. It was amazing! I’ve been to Fisherman’s Wharf before, but never the museum with the mechanical arm. I’ll have to go there.

Oh! [name]Quilliam[/name] is a real name! It’s the Irish form of [name]William[/name], from what I know. (But knowing about [name]Quill[/name] being pronounced like Kill, it sounds like Kill [name]Liam[/name]!)

Did you see [name]Dash[/name]'s b-day thread? :slight_smile:

[name]Dash[/name] and [name]Red[/name] is so retro fabulous! The more I think about it the more I love it!

[name]Anne[/name] is a fantastic first name. My grandma is [name]Ann[/name] (though I prefer it with the e) and it’s certainly worked for her her whole life! It lends itself to sweet, personal nicknames so nicely. Her family called her [name]May[/name] [name]Ann[/name] since she was born in [name]May[/name] and there was another [name]Ann[/name] in the family. Most people call her [name]Ann[/name], but my granddaddy always called her [name]Annie[/name]. I always loved the way he said her name with so much love. Sometimes he said “[name]Annie[/name] Girl”, and it gave me a picture of what they must have been like when they were a young couple. (haha, wipes tear)

I love [name]Anne[/name], I hope you use it someday. I know this doesn’t flow well at all, but I like the combo [name]Anne[/name] [name]Eliza[/name]. [name]Anne[/name] and [name]Henry[/name] would make a great sibset :slight_smile:

I am heading over to [name]Dash[/name]'s birthday thread now, thank you so much!

I’m glad you like [name]Red[/name], and I hope it will convince [name]Chris[/name] that [name]Frederick[/name] is a great name. :slight_smile:

I loved reading about your grandma. Your grandparents sound like a great couple. I love that he called her [name]Annie[/name] Girl, because it reminds me of [name]Anne[/name] of [name]Green[/name] Gables (she was called [name]Anne[/name] Girl by [name]Diana[/name]'s aunt). :slight_smile:

[name]Every[/name] [name]Anne[/name] I’ve ever known has been sweet, warm, fun, energetic, etc., and I love [name]Annie[/name]. As much as I love [name]Annabelle[/name]/[name]Annabel[/name], I keep coming back to [name]Anne[/name]. :slight_smile:

I love [name]Anne[/name] and [name]Henry[/name] together! :slight_smile: I’ve always loved [name]Anne[/name] [name]Victoria[/name]… I love [name]Eliza[/name] so much as a first name! [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] and [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Jane[/name] are my favorites.

I can’t believe that [name]Dash[/name] is 1! That’s crazy!!!

i like basil! what about [name]Fritz[/name]?

lexington nn [name]Lex[/name]

[name]Chris[/name] gave [name]Frederick[/name] nn [name]Red[/name] an 8/10 the first time I mentioned it, with the possibility of it going up! That is good news! He said I can never call him [name]Fred[/name], [name]Freddy[/name] or [name]Frederick[/name], though, haha, but I think he was mostly joking.

My mom said “That’s not nearly as cool as [name]Dash[/name]”. I know what she means, but I love them together.

What about this?
[name]Dashiell[/name] nn [name]Dash[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name] nn [name]Red[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] nn [name]Betsey[/name] (or maybe [name]Betty[/name] [name]Ann[/name], his new favorite name)
[name]Marigold[/name] nn [name]Goldie[/name] OR [name]Magnolia[/name] nn [name]Maxie[/name]/[name]Moxie[/name]/[name]Maggie[/name]

I prefer [name]Marigold[/name], he prefers [name]Magnolia[/name] (though I love both). I love [name]Goldie[/name] more than any of the [name]Magnolia[/name] nicknames, though I could get my beloved [name]Moxie[/name] (but he likes [name]Maggie[/name] most, and I think [name]Maggie[/name] is too normal with [name]Dash[/name]).

Eight out of ten? Go, [name]Red[/name]! :slight_smile: I love your list! I love the [name]Goldie[/name] and [name]Moxie[/name] nicknames with [name]Dash[/name]!

Did he have a good birthday? I hope he enjoyed his day! :slight_smile:

Talk to you later!