Full name needed for nn Ali

Hello everyone,

My sister is due to have a baby girl any day and has been unable to decide on a name so I thought maybe all of you wonderful baby-namers could help. The nickname will definitely be [name]Ali[/name] as her son has had an imaginary sister for about two years with that name. Now that he will have a real one my sister cannot bring herself to name her something completely different and break his heart. The problem is that she would like the baby to just use [name]Ali[/name] as a nickname, but she has thus far been unable to come up with a full name that she loves. She does not want to call her [name]Allison[/name]. Some of the names she has been considering are:

[name]Aliana[/name]
[name]Alia[/name]
Alayzia

[name]How[/name] sweet. :slight_smile: It depends on her last name and her son’s name, but some potential sources of [name]Ali[/name]:

[name]Alexandra[/name]
[name]Allegra[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Alana[/name]

As for the names you mentioned, I want to point out that Alayzia sounds very much like “A lazy eye” to me. The word “lazy” definitely stands out!

[name]Aliana[/name]: Of her choices, I’d have to go with this one…
[name]Alia[/name]: I think this one is destined for pronunciation issues…
Alayzia: See above, regarding “a lazy eye.”

Good luck! :slight_smile:

The son’s last name is [name]Adam[/name] and the last name is Khan. I am not a fan of Alayzia either. I have been running out of ideas for her lately. Thanks for the suggestions, I will run those by her.

No problem. :slight_smile: With Khan, I’d stay away from [name]Alana[/name], because a[name]LANa[/name] KHAN rhymes. Perhaps she’d like [name]Alaina[/name] instead?

With [name]Adam[/name] and Khan taken into consideration, I think [name]Alexandra[/name] would work nicely. The G sound in [name]Allegra[/name] clashes with the K in Khan.

(I see she likes trendier names, so I thought I’d mention that I’d avoid [name]Alexa[/name] Khan, as it sounds like the word “lexicon.”)

My personal vote is for [name]Alexandra[/name] and [name]Adam[/name] Khan.

Best wishes to you and your sister! :slight_smile:

She could use [name]Alexis[/name] instead of [name]Alexa[/name]? It flows better with Khan, and is lovely with [name]Adam[/name]. :slight_smile:

I can’t delete this, so just ignore. :slight_smile:

This might be a stretch to get to [name]Ali[/name], but we have a friend named [name]Amalia[/name]. I’ve really grown to love it! It’s pronounced Aw-muh-lia.

Very sweet story, btw!

I couldn’t sell my sister on any of the names you suggested, although I think [name]Alexandra[/name] and [name]Amalia[/name] are really nice, so if any of you have any other ideas, i would love to hear them. Thanks a bunch for the help by the way!

[name]Alexia[/name] (although it sounds a bit like lexicon with her last name)
[name]Alicia[/name]
Alyra
[name]Alouette[/name] (French word for lark, really cute, not totally sure it goes with Khan)

Has she thought about giving her a first name that begins with “A” and a mn that begins with “L”? For example, [name]Anna[/name] [name]Lillian[/name]?

Others:
[name]Alessandra[/name] (Bit matchy)
[name]Alina[/name] (My favorite of these)
[name]Alyssa[/name] (Very popular, kind of outdated, doesn’t sound great with last name)

[name]How[/name] about [name]Alaina[/name] or [name]Aloma[/name].
[name]Aloma[/name] is like [name]Paloma[/name] (a Spanish word meaning “dovelike”)
[name]Alaina[/name] is French and means “beautiful, fair woman” or “dear Child”

I’m not fond of [name]Allison[/name], either - it’s harsh and a little boring, to my mind.
[name]Alice[/name] is a fantastic name - cute without being childish, simple but not boring, traditional but not dated, pretty but not fussy, short but still easy to find nicknames for, and the things people think of (e.g. [name]Alice[/name] in Wonderland) or nice, too. HOWEVER, therein lies the problem. [name]Alice[/name], like [name]Emily[/name], [name]Sophie[/name] and [name]Rose[/name], is a great name - and so she will always be one [name]Alice[/name] out of many.
Of course, there is always [name]Alexandra[/name], [name]Alexis[/name], [name]Alexandrine[/name], [name]Alexa[/name] etc.
Instead, I would go for :
Alodia
[name]Alphonsine[/name] (French)
Aludra
Alecto
Alcippe (although in Greek mythology, [name]Poseidon[/name]'s son attempted to rape her, which is not a very pleasant association … but then again, pretty much no-one is going to know that)
[name]Alcyone[/name] ([name]Al[/name]-see-own-ee) - there’s a lovely myth involving her
[name]Althea[/name]
Amalthea
[name]Adela[/name]/[name]Adelia[/name]
[name]Alana[/name]/[name]Alanna[/name]
[name]Alethea[/name] (sounds a little like [name]Alicia[/name] with a lisp, so a better alternative is the derivative [name]Aleta[/name])
[name]Aline[/name] (a diminutive form of [name]Adeline[/name])
[name]Alma[/name]
[name]Almira[/name]
[name]Alvina[/name]/[name]Alvena[/name]
[name]Albertine[/name] (French)
[name]Alix[/name] (French form of [name]Alice[/name] - I love this one) - pronounced [name]Al[/name] - eex
I hope this helped!

[name]Adaline[/name]
[name]Alicia[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Annaliese[/name] / [name]Annalise[/name]
Caliope
[name]Callista[/name]
[name]Catalina[/name]
[name]Emmaline[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name]
[name]Rosalin[/name]

Someone said [name]Allegra[/name] earlier, as well, and I think that’s a lovely one!

I love [name]Alice[/name]!

Thank you for all of your wonderful suggestions, I ran them past my sister but she just didn’t love any of them. I think we all know how hard it can be to find just the perfect name.

Some more that don’t begin with [name]Al[/name], but contain the necessary [name]Al[/name]…

[name]Mallory[/name] Khan
[name]Natalie[/name] (gives you [name]Ali[/name] within the name) Khan
[name]Rosalie[/name] (ditto) Khan
[name]Sally[/name] Khan
[name]Talia[/name] Khan (repetitive [name]Ah[/name] sound, though)
[name]Valerie[/name] Khan (pretty dated, though)

Good luck! :slight_smile:

My sister is 26 and her name is [name]Alia[/name] nn [name]Ali[/name]. I definitely think it’s a strong name and people seem to have no problems with the pronunciation. And of course, it’s beautiful!

I also know someone who has an [name]Alizabeth[/name] called [name]Ali[/name], though that’s not my favorite.

What a cute story, btw, about your nephew’s imaginary sister! [name]How[/name] fun.

I found nearly 600 girl names beginning with ‘al’ in the search form, picking names not already suggested (I think).

I like:

[name]Alanis[/name]
[name]Alanna[/name] - mentioned in description that it seems less of a feminization of [name]Alan[/name] than [name]Alana[/name], but this is a variation of [name]Alana[/name] with one n, I just like two.
[name]Alessia[/name] (Italian form of [name]Alexis[/name])
[name]Alisa[/name]
[name]Aloisa[/name] ([name]German[/name] variation of [name]Louise[/name])
[name]Aluisa[/name] (Spanish variation of [name]Louise[/name])

There were so many versions of [name]Alexis[/name]/[name]Alexandra[/name] and [name]Alice[/name]/[name]Alison[/name], as well as many names that are supposed to start with E, like Aleonor or [name]Alizabeth[/name] and any possible variation of either (dozens upon dozens of that sort), and also a lot of place names, which always seem weird to me if the location is not significant to the family. I think if you try search or direct your sister to the site, it doesn’t take too long to look at the pages and eliminate a lot, but dig up some that you might like better than were already suggested.

I also tried search on names that end in ali, aly, ally, and alia, but I thought that most were kind of a stretch. Try that though, it might turn up something meaningful for you. As yet, it seems impossible to search on names that might contain the trio, ‘ali’ to get the nickname from the middle - I think it’s sort of a stretch to do that anyway. I think I suggested the name [name]Mahalia[/name] to someone yesterday for example. I might call [name]Mahalia[/name], [name]Ali[/name] for a nickname, but not, say, [name]Natalia[/name]. You can name the kid [name]Francesca[/name] or something, and still call her [name]Ali[/name] around the house, it’s not unheard of for nicknames to be unrelated to the formal name or to be derived from a middle name instead.

I was looking at all the other posts and i dont think that i saw the name [name]Alisha[/name]. There are a few other ways to spell it like [name]Alicia[/name], [name]Elisha[/name]. My little sisters name is [name]Alisha[/name] and we have always called her [name]Ali[/name] for a nn. I also call her [name]Ali[/name] [name]Kat[/name] from time to time. [name]Hope[/name] it helps. Good luck!