Gala

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] Berries!!

I’ve been needing some opinions on once of my long time crushes… Gala!
I just think it’s very beautiful and assertive, but I’m wondering if it’s too ‘apple’? Too much like a party?

Please let me know, I’d love to hear what you all think! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

It’s strong and pretty! [name_f]My[/name_f] first association is actually “swimming gala”, but it’s not overwhelming. A simple and punchy little name :purple_heart:

1 Like

Perspective of a [name_u]Berry[/name_u] that has not heard this name before: It’s strongly associated with the word. Picturing it on a child, she’s a chubby two year old with lots of hair and a periwinkle blue dress :grinning: It gives me a sunshine vibe.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] first association is a big, fancy party. [name_f]My[/name_f] second association is the apple. It’s a beautiful name, but I think the associations are just a bit too strong.

3 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] association is the party over the apple. Strikes me as being too much of a word to be a name, if that makes sense, but the sounds are all there.

1 Like

I think a lot of people would only associate it with it apples, without realising it is a genuine name. I believe it was the name of [name_m]Salvador[/name_m] Dali’s wife? [name_f]My[/name_f] main association is Instagrammer [name_f]Gala[/name_f] [name_f]Darling[/name_f] (not her birth name, but now her real name).

1 Like

[name_f]Gala[/name_f] is really cool and fresh. I do think of the apple and a party but I don’t think those are negative associations

1 Like

my first thought was galah ( type of bird) so it gives me very floral, pink vibes. i think it’s a cute name !! though the apple and ball associations do put me off it a bit.

1 Like

I believe it’s a Russian/Slavic name (a nickname for [name_f]Galina[/name_f], I think?). [name_f]Gala[/name_f] Dalí was Russian. I think most [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers would associate it with the apple or party, which is a bit unfortunate though I suppose they’re not the worst associations.

2 Likes

I like it! It’s certainly unexpected , but reminds me of [name_u]Gal[/name_u] Gadot.

1 Like

Ohh yes the bird! Can’t believe I didn’t think of that, thankyou. x

1 Like

my first thought is the pig from Animal Crossing! i think it’s pretty and usable, though.

1 Like

This is my cousin’s name!!! :apple::sun_with_face: She’s about 4 now and it’s just the sweetest little name for her. I associate it more with the apple than the event, but I don’t think either is too much

1 Like

I LOVE GALA! [name_f]Gala[/name_f] and [name_f]Opal[/name_f] both, two of my favorite apples and names. I like refreshing names and both these apple names strike me as juicy.

1 Like

I honestly think this, I’m so sorry :pensive :

1 Like

[name_f]Gala[/name_f] always reminds me of the bird Galah from Australia and the saying ‘flamin galah’ when someone is being silly/annoying

1 Like

I didn’t think of that at first, but it’s quite unfortunate :,( I don’t hear it too often anymore though, do you think it’s still a pretty strong association in Australia?

Seeing your thread I honestly just thought it was an uncommon name. I don’t associate it with those words myself. I think there are similar names out there that makes Gala feel vaguely familiar and not at all strange. Names like Gale, Gal, Galina, Galen, Galilea, Gali and names with similar endings such as Calla, Ella, Carla, Layla etc. It’s super simple to spell and pronounce too. I think it’s worth keeping on your list.

I’m Australian and I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone actually use the slang term flamin’ galah. I didn’t personally think of that. If it’s a person’s name, I’d very easily accept it at face value as a name. The syllable stress is different in any case.

1 Like

I do think of the apple and the party, but it is cute. What about [name_f]Galatea[/name_f]?

1 Like

It’s pretty, just not quite my thing! I love how short and strong [name_f]Gala[/name_f] is, while [name_f]Galatea[/name_f] feels very different. Thankyou though! :heart:

2 Likes