Girl Name Dilemma--Lola, Genevieve, ???

[name]Hi[/name] everyone,

This is my first time posting…

I have two boys, [name]Tristan[/name] [name]Michael[/name] and [name]Nathaniel[/name] [name]Blane[/name], and am expecting my first girl later this year. My girl names during my earlier pregnancies were [name]Cecilia[/name] and [name]Francesca[/name], but neither of those feels like a good “fit” this time.

I was really feeling a connection with [name]Genevieve[/name] for quite awhile, but my husband did not share my enthusiasm. I’m keeping it on my list for now, but in the meantime [name]Lola[/name] has crept on to my radar. It’s completely different from the other names I like, but something about just “feels” right–I can just hear myself calling her [name]Lola[/name]. It is also the first name that my husband and I agree on, which is pretty much how we made our decisions with the boys as well.

I also like [name]Clare[/name]/Claere for a middle name (haven’t sold hubby on that one yet), but he likes [name]Francesca[/name] for a middle name with [name]Lola[/name].

My question/concern with [name]Lola[/name] is: will it “age” well with her? There’s really nowhere to go with it as it’s already more of a nickname name, but I am curious what other people think. This is one of the reasons that I like the idea of having a more classic name as the middle name, to give her more options if she ever truly hates her name.

Any thoughts/concerns/opinions about [name]Lola[/name]?

Thanks so much!

[name]Welcome[/name]! :smiley:

First of all, I have to comment on how much I adore [name]Nathaniel[/name] and [name]Tristan[/name] (I like [name]Isolde[/name], too, actually - their story is so beautiful).

I also love both [name]Genevieve[/name] and [name]Lola[/name]!

However, [name]Lola[/name] is very cute, and I’m not sure how well it would age … she may happily go by [name]Lola[/name] her entire life, but equally she might regret not having a more formal name to fall back on later.

I’m not sure about the flow of [name]Lola[/name] [name]Francesca[/name], although they are both beautiful … if you do use [name]Lola[/name] as the full name, how about [name]Lola[/name] [name]Frances[/name]? [name]Claire[/name] is a classic, and difficult to go wrong with, in my opinion.

Names which could give the nn [name]Lola[/name] :
[name]Paloma[/name]
[name]Louise[/name]/[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name] (and variations, such as [name]Lucia[/name] [loo-sha] and [name]Lucette[/name])
[name]Lolita[/name]

Quite a long shot :
[name]Heloise[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]

Traditionally, [name]Lola[/name] was a nn for [name]Dolores[/name] … there is the issue of [name]Dolores[/name] meaning ‘sorrows’, but that actually refers to [name]Maria[/name] de los [name]Dolores[/name], the Spanish name for the Virgin [name]Mary[/name], so while the literal meaning is undesirable you might like the religious connotation.

Good luck!

[name]Hi[/name] tindrisek,

Honestly, I rarely say that I am not a big fan of a name but unfortunately [name]Lola[/name] is one of those names. I am not a big fan of nicknames as names and after [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Sheen[/name] & [name]Denise[/name] [name]Richards[/name] named their daughters [name]Sam[/name] and [name]Lola[/name] that kind of officially did me in.

[name]Genevieve[/name] on the other hand is classically beautiful but I would recommend that more as a middle name. An alternative first name could be [name]Laila[/name] (pronounced: Lie - luh) which is equally as cute, flows a little better and [name]Laila[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] work well together.

You could always call her [name]Lola[/name] as a nickname and as she grows older she could either continue to go by [name]Lola[/name] or use [name]Laila[/name] as she enters her adult life.

[name]Hope[/name] this helps!

[name]Elisabeth[/name] Pani
[name]Baby[/name] Names Examiner

I like [name]Genevieve[/name] better with your boys names than I do [name]Lola[/name]. I love the name [name]Lola[/name] so much so we named our adorable [name]Boston[/name] Terrier just that. Now I’m regretting giving her such a cute name because I’d love to use it for a baby :frowning: An alternative to [name]Lola[/name] that is still off limits for me but maybe you’ll like it is [name]Layla[/name]/[name]Laila[/name] pronunciations vary (lay-luh).
On the question can she grow with [name]Lola[/name], I don’t see why not. It’s not your classic girls names nor is it very popular.

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

I can’t use [name]Layla[/name] because I have a 1 year old niece named [name]Layla[/name], but it is a nice suggestion. Other “L” names I have played around with are [name]Lena[/name] (leh-na) and [name]Lael[/name]. My son [name]Tristan[/name] really wanted [name]Lily[/name] (which is where this whole interest in “L” names came from), but I know about six little girls named [name]Lily[/name], [name]Lillian[/name], [name]Lilliana[/name], etc. right now so I don’t feel like that is a good option either. I have always loved my grandmother’s name [name]Lydia[/name], but my sister used that for my other niece who is [name]Cosette[/name] [name]Lydia[/name]. Soooo…I am stumped!

My name is [name]Tatiana[/name], and I always loved growing up with a beautiful, unusual name (unusual in the panhandle of [name]Texas[/name], for sure) and my mom did a wonderful job naming all of my siblings ([name]Astrid[/name], [name]Dominic[/name], [name]Natasha[/name] and [name]Mikhail[/name] (but we have always called him [name]Misha[/name]), so I always hoped that I would find beautiful names for my own children someday. I am finding it quite difficult. There are a lot of names that I hear that I really like, but none of them resonate…

Thanks for any input!

[name]Tatiana[/name]

I love “L” names, and I hate that two of my all-time favourites have gone right to the top of the naming charts ([name]Lily[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name]). So I can see why you’re considering [name]Lola[/name] (which I like, but wouldn’t be brave enough to use). Here are some others that have appealed to me:

[name]Livia[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name] (I like the Italian Loo-chee-ya, but it’s often pronounced Loo-sha)
[name]Luna[/name]
[name]Lilou[/name] (French)
[name]Lorelai[/name]
[name]Lois[/name] (a lot of people seem to see this as very old lady, but I [name]LOVE[/name] it)
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Libby[/name] (nn for [name]Elizabeth[/name] or [name]Liberty[/name])
[name]Lyra[/name]

And then there are a couple of names I love that have Ls in them elsewhere and that sort of remind me of the same aesthetic:
[name]Holly[/name]
[name]Orla[/name]
[name]Juno[/name] (okay, no L, but it still feels similar)
[name]Noelle[/name]
[name]Belle[/name]/[name]Bella[/name]
[name]Tallulah[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] that helps, but if not, I also adore the name [name]Genevieve[/name]. Since I was a child, every time I have met someone called [name]Genevieve[/name], I’ve been a little jealous of their name. It’s gorgeous.

Good luck!

I love the name [name]Genevieve[/name] and I think it goes really well with your boys’ names.
[name]Just[/name] keep telling your hubbie how much you like it. Did he get final say on either of the boy’s names? You should get to choose this time, after all, it’s a girl, and you’re the one giving birth, right? (Kidding, well, sort of. )

Hmmm…great suggestions everyone! Now you’ve got me thinking–what about [name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Lilou[/name] as a first and middle name? Does that sound strange or strangely beautiful to anyone else’s ears but mine? :slight_smile: I’m thinking that combo. might work with nn’s [name]Evie[/name] and [name]Lola[/name], perhaps.

[name]LOVE[/name] it!

[name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Lilou[/name] Indrisek- i think this is fantastic! And then you/she can always see what nickname feels right! Gorgeous choice :slight_smile: best wishes!

I second that emotion

I’m really liking it too! I’m also liking something like [name]Evie[/name] [name]Lou[/name] (not quite sure how to spell it or whether it would be combined into one name) for a nn or [name]Lulu[/name]…

[name]Hi[/name]! I love [name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Lilou[/name], too, and also think that [name]Lilou[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] has a lovely flow.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I’m glad the opinions are trending away from [name]Lola[/name], which, while adorable and luscious, has just gotten awfully trendy along with all her double-L sisters. [name]Genevieve[/name] is much more distinctive and yes, I agree with other posters that it goes better with your sons’ names and your overall name ideals. But your husband doesn’t like and it does carry spelling and especially pronunciation problems.

Are there any other options? This seems like the kind of challenge on which the nameberry geniuses could really shine.

More ideas that are pretty like [name]Genevieve[/name]:
[name]Amalia[/name]
[name]Angelina[/name] nn [name]Lena[/name]
[name]Anthea[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Carys[/name] - this is a really pretty name! I would use it.
[name]Celeste[/name], [name]Celestine[/name], [name]Celestina[/name]
[name]Claudia[/name]
[name]Corinne[/name]
[name]Danica[/name]
[name]Delphina[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Emilia[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Gwendolyn[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Jessamyn[/name]
[name]Katerina[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Magdalena[/name] nn [name]Lena[/name]
[name]Malika[/name]
[name]Marina[/name]
[name]Nerissa[/name]
[name]Ottilie[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name]
[name]Ramona[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Thandiwe[/name] nn [name]Thandie[/name] - yeah, I keep putting this on my lists, but I love it.
[name]Tressa[/name]
[name]Twyla[/name]
[name]Veronica[/name] nn [name]Vera[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Winifred[/name]
[name]Zenobia[/name]

OK so I went a bit crazy with this list but found many names that were similar to [name]Genevieve[/name] in either style, sound, origin or meaning…

Off the bat [name]Evangeline[/name], [name]Geneva[/name] and [name]Genevra[/name] seem most obviously related to [name]Genevieve[/name]

Also, and I apologize if I repeat any suggestions…

[name]Georgina[/name]
[name]Nicola[/name] ([name]Lola[/name] source, perhaps?)
[name]Emmanuelle[/name]
[name]Annika[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Leona[/name]/[name]Leonora[/name]/[name]Lenore[/name]
[name]Ophelie[/name]
[name]Odilia[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Rafaella[/name]
[name]Verona[/name]
[name]Veronica[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
Appolline
[name]Minerva[/name]
[name]Verity[/name]

and my favorite discovery [name]Maeve[/name] (it would give you the [name]Evie[/name] option and sounds gorgeous with [name]Tristan[/name] and [name]Nathaniel[/name]) there is also the french version [name]Maeva[/name]

Good luck! I’d love to hear your thoughts!

*[name]EDIT[/name]: I forgot to mention how much I love the previous suggestion of [name]Paloma[/name] and also one of your original ideas, [name]Francesca[/name]

Thank you for all of the beautiful suggestions!

I love [name]Genevieve[/name] but [name]Pam[/name] has summed up exactly the reasons why my husband doesn’t want to use it–he feels it is too “complicated” for lack of a better word. I’ll keep working on him, but in the meantime we keep going back to the ONE name we both like–[name]Lola[/name]. I know it’s not the most popular choice here, and I worry about the trendiness factor as well, but I am also trying to think of some great middle names to go with it in case it ends up being the one name that “sticks.” I will keep championing for [name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Lilou[/name], as I think it’s precious, but here are some of my other ideas for [name]Lola[/name]:

[name]Lola[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Lola[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name]–love [name]Vivienne[/name], but worry again about “trendiness” with [name]Angelina[/name] [name]Jolie[/name]…
[name]Lola[/name] [name]Nicolene[/name]–my middle name

Any other ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

More [name]Lola[/name] combos? Let’s see… I love [name]Lola[/name] paired with unexpected and at least slightly exotic names. I know it’s not exotic, but for me, [name]Lola[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name] is lovely, with [name]Vivienne[/name] being beautiful and unexpected.

[name]Lola[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Lola[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Lola[/name] [name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Lola[/name] [name]Guinevere[/name]
[name]Lola[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] (if [name]Genevieve[/name] is still in the running…)
[name]Lola[/name] [name]Jessamine[/name]
[name]Lola[/name] [name]Mirabelle[/name]
[name]Lola[/name] [name]Magdalen[/name]
[name]Lola[/name] [name]Penelope[/name] (although I hear the “lo” sounds in both names…)
[name]Lola[/name] [name]Raphaelle[/name]
[name]Lola[/name] [name]Seraphine[/name]
[name]Lola[/name] [name]Valentine[/name]
[name]Lola[/name] [name]Victoria[/name]
[name]Lola[/name] [name]Winifred[/name]

I apologize for not having reviewed the thread, but if [name]Penelope[/name] hasn’t been suggested as a source of [name]Lola[/name], I just want to throw it out there. :slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I just love [name]Genevieve[/name]- it’s beautiful and elegant. [name]Lola[/name] is v nice too, although I prefer it as a nn for [name]Paloma[/name] or [name]Penelope[/name]. In the UK, we have a really sweet cartoon based on some books by [name]Lauren[/name] Child. [name]Lola[/name] really reminds of that.
I love some of the [name]Lola[/name] combinations suggested. [name]Lola[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name] is lovely (or [name]Vivienne[/name] [name]Lola[/name] even better if you husband will let you).
[name]Do[/name] you mind if I ask if you have Russian heritage? [name]Just[/name] wondered as you mum chose Russian names for all her daughters- all v beautiful!