Give it a convoluted nickname!

ok. here’s how it works.
someone gives a name, any name, and someone else gives a nickname, any nickname, and explains how they got there using as convoluted of a method as possible. for example:

person 1: juliet
person 2: abby! juliet is prominently featured in romeo and juliet. romeo has rome in it, conjuring images of italy. italy makes me think of italian dressing, which could go on a salad, perhaps made of cabbage. cabbage can be sweetly shortened to abby! what about jaxon?
person 3: matt! jaxon makes me think of an ax, which makes me think of axe body spray, which makes me think of sea spray, which makes me think of the ocean, which makes me think of octopi, which makes me think of pi, which makes me think of math, which clearly leads to the nickname matt.

ok, first name: annabelle

4 Likes

Anna and Belle are two Disney princess names. Anna has an older sister, Elsa, and Belle is played, in one adaptation, by Emma Watson, who also plays the oldest sister, Meg March, in 2019’s Little Women. I’m also an older sister. My name is Hazel. My parents wanted to call me Zellie as a baby, but it didn’t stick So, my convoluted nickname for Annabelle is Zellie!

Next Name: Florence

2 Likes

[name_f]Adele[/name_f] - [name_u]Florence[/name_u] is in [name_f]Italy[/name_f], as is Syracuse. Syracuse is also a place in [name_u]New[/name_u] [name_u]York[/name_u] and it’s the place where L. [name_m]Frank[/name_m] Baum grew up. Baum wrote The [name_m]Wizard[/name_m] of [name_m]Oz[/name_m], which was turned into a stage musical in which [name_f]Idina[/name_f] Menzel starred. At an awards event [name_f]Idina[/name_f] was introduced as [name_f]Adele[/name_f] Dazeem and viola, [name_f]Adele[/name_f] is the nickname for [name_u]Florence[/name_u]

Next name: [name_u]William[/name_u]

3 Likes

That’s fantastic! ^ What a fun game :laughing:

Growing up, my sister had a pair of twin dolls named William and Sheery. Sheery is a name that my sister was very proud to have made up. I like the name Emmelise, which is also made up. I babysat for a family who had a daughter with a similar name: Elise. One of her favorite books is a Calvin and Hobbes comic collection. A nickname for Calvin is Cal, so, my nickname for William is Cal!

Next name: Margaret

3 Likes

[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] was my grandmother’s middle name. Since she passed, I have an honorary grandmother, [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f], who is my friend Emily’s grandmother. Before [name_f]Emily[/name_f] was born, she was going to be named [name_u]Seren[/name_u]. [name_u]Seren[/name_u] is a Welsh name meaning star. Therefore, my nickname for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] is [name_f]Star[/name_f]

Next name: [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]

1 Like

[name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] is the name of a friend’s brother, which makes me think of her name, [name_f]Sharon[/name_f]. [name_f]Sharon[/name_f] rhymes with [name_m]Baron[/name_m] which could be shortened to [name_u]Barry[/name_u]. [name_u]Barry[/name_u] makes me think of [name_u]Barry[/name_u] Bonds, and Bonds makes me think of underwear. The start of underwear sounds like the name [name_u]Indie[/name_u], so [name_u]Indie[/name_u] is my nickname for [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]!

Next name: [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]

[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is the name of the main character in [name_f]Barbie[/name_f] and the 12 Dancing Princesses. The 12 Dancing Princesses is a fairytale. Fairytales make me think of Once Upon a Time, and my favorite character is Once Upon a Time [name_f]Regina[/name_f] so…Regina!

Next name: [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] :)) fun game!

I love Regina & Once Upon A Time!!

I know an Alexander whose little sister is named Fiona. She was on my sister’s Girl Scout Troop, along with a girl named Phoebe. My best friend loves this name and would like to use it for her daughter. My best friend’s fave boy name is Edmund. A nickname for that (and my favorite boy name) is Teddy. So, Alexander nn Teddy!

Hazel?

This is such a fun game!

[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] is a color name, like [name_u]Blue[/name_u]. [name_u]Blue[/name_u] is the color of @jujubesun’s hair. Her name is [name_u]July[/name_u], which is a month name, just like [name_f]May[/name_f]. [name_f]May[/name_f] has the first three letters in [name_f]Maya[/name_f]. Therefore, Hazel’s nickname is [name_f]Maya[/name_f].

[name_u]Kiernan[/name_u]?

1 Like

the first syllable of kiernan is kier, which makes me think of kira in gathering blue and the add-one-syllable-as-you-age tradition, and syllable sounds like sybil, and sybil is a character in downton abbey, and i used to pronounce downton abbey as downtown abbey, and downtown is a song from last night in soho, which stars anya taylor-joy. therefore, kiernan’s nickname is joy.

cordelia?

[name_f]May[/name_f], [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] reminds me of the British cook [name_f]Delia[/name_f] [name_m]Smith[/name_m]. [name_f]Delia[/name_f] was born in [name_u]June[/name_u] and the month before [name_u]June[/name_u] is [name_f]May[/name_f] so that makes Cordelia’s nickname [name_f]May[/name_f].

[name_m]Tom[/name_m]?

[name_m]Tom[/name_m] reminds me of [name_m]Tom[/name_m] Riddle from [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] character is [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]. @EmilyMcA has a daughter named [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] and another daughter named [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]. I met an [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] at someone named Kendra’s birthday party thing once. Therefore, Tom’s nickname is [name_f]Kendra[/name_f].

[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]?

3 Likes

Josephine makes me think of Jo from Little women, a book I adore. I consider it as a Christmas novel and movie, since there are many winter scenes. Christmas is the favorite holiday of my roommate and best friend, whose name is Eleonora. My boyfriend calls her Elle (pronounced el-leh). So Josephine’s nickname is Elle.

Elspeth?

[name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] is a Scottish name. [name_u]James[/name_u] McAvoy is a Scottish actor who was in the X-Men films alongside [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]. [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] Lawrence’s character in the Hunger Games was called [name_f]Katniss[/name_f]. [name_f]Katniss[/name_f] is a plant. [name_f]Fern[/name_f] is a plant. Therefore, Elspeth’s nickname is [name_f]Fern[/name_f].

[name_m]Richard[/name_m]?

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] uncle [name_m]Richard[/name_m] goes by [name_u]Richie[/name_u], [name_u]Richie[/name_u] [name_m]Rich[/name_m] is played by [name_m]Macauley[/name_m] Culkin. [name_m]Macauley[/name_m] played a lot of films alongside [name_f]Mara[/name_f] [name_m]Wilson[/name_m], another person with the last name [name_m]Wilson[/name_m] is [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f] [name_m]Wilson[/name_m]. She wrote [name_u]Tracy[/name_u] Beaker. [name_u]Tracy[/name_u] Beaker is portrayed by [name_u]Dani[/name_u] Harmer, another spelling for [name_u]Dani[/name_u] is [name_u]Danny[/name_u] therefore Richard’s nickname is [name_u]Danny[/name_u].

[name_f]Lolly[/name_f]?

1 Like

[name_f]Lolly[/name_f] rhymes with [name_f]Dolly[/name_f]. [name_f]Dolly[/name_f] [name_m]Parton[/name_m] is a famous singer. Another famous singer is [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] [name_m]Swift[/name_m]. [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] [name_m]Swift[/name_m] dated [name_m]Tom[/name_m] Hiddleston who plays [name_u]Loki[/name_u] in the MCU. [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_f]Di[/name_f] [name_m]Martino[/name_m] plays a variant of [name_u]Loki[/name_u] called [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]. A nickname for [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] is [name_f]Vi[/name_f] which is a nickname for [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]. [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] can be shortened to [name_f]Enna[/name_f], therefore [name_f]Enna[/name_f] is a nickname for [name_f]Lolly[/name_f].

[name_f]Euphemia[/name_f]?

[name_f]Euphemia[/name_f] shares a lot of letters with [name_f]Euphoria[/name_f], which stars [name_f]Zendaya[/name_f]. [name_f]Beyoncé[/name_f] also only goes by one name, like [name_f]Zendaya[/name_f]. [name_f]Beyoncé[/name_f] has a daughter named [name_u]Blue[/name_u] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]. [name_u]Blue[/name_u] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] is nine, just like [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_u]Crosby[/name_u]. Therefore, Euphemia’s nickname is [name_f]Claire[/name_f].

[name_u]Zoe[/name_u]?

1 Like

[name_u]Zoe[/name_u] is a character in TGWDLM who is played by [name_f]Mariah[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Faith[/name_f]. She starred in the musical Mean Girls as [name_f]Regina[/name_f] [name_u]George[/name_u]. [name_f]Renee[/name_f] Rapp was also [name_f]Regina[/name_f]. [name_f]Renee[/name_f] is a character in [name_u]Twilight[/name_u]. [name_f]Kristen[/name_f] [name_m]Stewart[/name_m] was in [name_u]Twilight[/name_u]. She was also in [name_u]Snow[/name_u] White and the Huntsman along with [name_f]Charlize[/name_f] [name_m]Theron[/name_m]. A nickname for [name_f]Charlize[/name_f] is [name_f]Liza[/name_f]. Therefore, Zoe’s nickname is [name_f]Liza[/name_f].

[name_u]Henry[/name_u]?

1 Like

The first three letters and the first syllable of [name_u]Henry[/name_u] are “Hen” which makes me think of the animal and hens give birth to chicks therefore Henry’s nickname is [name_m]Chick[/name_m].

[name_u]Dominique[/name_u]?

1 Like

[name_u]Dominique[/name_u] ends in ‘que’ which are the first three letters of ‘queen’. The lead singer of the band [name_f]Queen[/name_f] was [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] [name_u]Mercury[/name_u]. [name_u]Mercury[/name_u] is a planet and so is [name_u]Jupiter[/name_u]. [name_u]Jupiter[/name_u] is a [name_m]Roman[/name_m] god and his Greek equivalent is [name_m]Zeus[/name_m]. Zeus’s wife is called [name_f]Hera[/name_f]. Therefore, Dominique’s nickname is [name_f]Hera[/name_f].

[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]?

1 Like