Harriet, Rosemary, Imogen, Jemima (Real Baby!)

Hello Hello!

I am suddenly pregnant–! oh dear oh dear!! and suddenly confronted with naming a REAL baby, not merely a hypothetical one.

My husband and I long ago determined our boy name: which will be: [name]Hugo[/name] [name]Jefferson[/name] [name]Winter[/name]. [name]Hugo[/name] was his great-grandfather (a very interesting person) and [name]Jefferson[/name] is my dad.

Girls’ names are throwing us for a loop. Arg! So many interesting and intriguing ones…nothing perfect. Could you give us some advice??

Our top (not in order of preference):

[name]Imogen[/name], [name]Rosemary[/name], [name]Harriet[/name], [name]Rose[/name], [name]Iris[/name], and [name]Jemima[/name].

My brief analysis of each:

[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Winter[/name]: I’ve loved [name]Imogen[/name] for a very long time now, which should be a good indicator of its staying power in my own mind. Husband has never been completely convinced (finds it difficult to say and also worries it is too “pop cultury” ie [name]Imogen[/name] Heap). Also, we worry a bit about our American audience (we live in the UK now but will be going back to the States). Neither of us are ecstatic about the nn “[name]Immy[/name].”

[name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Winter[/name]: This is my current favorite. [name]Love[/name] the sound, the [name]Marian[/name] feel (we’re devout Catholics). And I like the nns “[name]Rose[/name]” and “[name]Rosy[/name]” almost as much as I like [name]Rosemary[/name] by itself. Husband likes. I worry that “[name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Winter[/name]” is a bit much–almost like naming our child “[name]Merry[/name] [name]Winter[/name]” or “[name]Snow[/name] [name]Winter[/name]” or some such thing. What do you think about the combo? Cheesy??

[name]Harriet[/name] [name]Winter[/name]: I love [name]Harriet[/name]. It’s my grandmother’s name. I am still on the fence about “[name]Hattie[/name]”–which husband likes–but I don’t find it at all difficult to imagine calling an adorable little curly head child “[name]Harriet[/name].” Husband likes, but worries that it is too “hard” for a little girl (he’s into botanicals like [name]Lily[/name]…and even [name]Primrose[/name] and Honeysuckle lol!!). Also–I worry about naming child after one grandmother and leaving the other out. I am very close to my other grandma, though I was named after her, so it probably is fine if give the other a turn. What thinkest you? Is [name]Harriet[/name] wearable?

[name]Rose[/name] [name]Winter[/name]: In the [name]Rosemary[/name] line-- a bit more streamlined. Not sure if I like it with “[name]Winter[/name].” Thoughts?

[name]Iris[/name] [name]Winter[/name]: [name]Love[/name], love, love [name]Iris[/name]. [name]Love[/name] the image of the Greek goddess descending on a rainbow. [name]Love[/name] sound. [name]Love[/name] those Is these days! Husband likes it too! My main worry is: “[name]Ira[/name] Swinter.” Is [name]Iris[/name] impossible with our last name??

[name]Jemima[/name]: I love [name]Jemima[/name] deeply passionately. More than [name]Rosemary[/name]. But I am convinced that [name]Jemima[/name]'s day has not come–at least not in the midwest United States. My parents named me and my brother solid, sturdy classics–lovely names, really, but both in the top 10 the year we were born. I can guarantee they would freak if we named our daughter [name]Jemima[/name] (heck! they made faces at inoffensive little “[name]Gemma[/name]” when I mentioned her–mainly to test the waters…"[name]Jemma[/name]" being a possible nn for [name]Jemima[/name] that we love). My husband loves [name]Jemima[/name]. Arg! Stupid racism…stupid syrup. What do you think? Should we just grit our teeth and do it anyway??

These are MY current favorites My husband hasn’t really gotten excited about any of the others, though he is open minded and positive about all. His favorites are: [name]Jemima[/name], [name]Clare[/name], [name]Primrose[/name], and [name]Lily[/name]. [name]DO[/name] YOU HAVE ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS that might fit in with these? I want to get him EXCITED about baby girl!!

Thanks in advance!!!

I love all of your top names! I don’t think I can pick between them. I am leaving a link on a post about [name]Jemima[/name]. [name]Read[/name] all of it …it is interesting and a few brave souls are naming their daughters [name]Jemima[/name] (in the U. S. of A. )

Beautiful names! I really love [name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Winter[/name], and I don’t think it’s a cheezy name at all. [name]Rosie[/name]/[name]Rose[/name] is such a cute nickname. [name]Harriet[/name] is another favorite of mine, although I do think the [name]Hattie[/name] nickname is a little ‘hard’ or something like that. Have you considered [name]Hazel[/name]? Similar sound, slightly more botanical for your husband, and a bit softer. Not sure how you would feel about [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Winter[/name], though, it might have the same problem as [name]Rose[/name] [name]Winter[/name].
[name]Imogen[/name] as never really been my cup of tea, but I don’t DISLIKE it.
Sadly, I agree about [name]Jemima[/name]. It’s a sweet name in and of itself, but I’m just not sure people are ready for it…

[name]Rosemary[/name] is my favorite. What a wonderful name! I love [name]Iris[/name] and [name]Rose[/name], as well.

Hey, congrats on the pregnanacy! I love [name]Hugo[/name] by the way, and I think your name style is really cool.

[name]Imogen[/name] - I’m not really a fan of [name]Imogen[/name], it sounds harsh and awkward to me, but if I saw another person name their child [name]Imogen[/name] I would certainly appreciate it from afar! It’s unusual and quirky, and thankfully, not [name]Emma[/name].
[name]Rosemary[/name] - I think [name]Rosemary[/name] is really cute. I love the nicknames [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Rosie[/name] of course. [name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Winter[/name] sounds good too.
[name]Harriet[/name] - I love [name]Harriet[/name]. I think it’s an awesome name! It’s unusual, but everyone knows it. I also think the nickname [name]Harrie[/name]/[name]Harry[/name] is really cute for a little girl! This is my favourite of your picks, and I think [name]Harriet[/name] [name]Winter[/name] sounds lovely too.
[name]Rose[/name] - [name]Lovely[/name], classic but too short and quite popular for the middle spot now, so I may rule it out. I like [name]Rosemary[/name] better.
[name]Iris[/name] - I’m not a huge fan of this, it reminds me too much of eyes rather than flowers.
[name]Jemima[/name] - I like the sound of [name]Jemima[/name], and [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Winter[/name]. I also think the nickname [name]Jem[/name] would be super cute. If you’re moving to mid-west USA though… I’m not sure. You could always give the proverbial middle finger and name her this anyway, but that’s your choice!
[name]Clare[/name] - I appreciate the classical-ness of [name]Clare[/name] and I like it spelt like this because the “i” makes it look harsher to me, but I’m not a huge fan, it’s too plain and short for a first name I thinks. What about [name]Clara[/name]? [name]Clara[/name] is so lovely!
[name]Primrose[/name] - I feel like this is too prissy, especially for midwest USA, it just screams (sorry to offen anyone here) uppercrust [name]Brit[/name]. I like [name]Rosemary[/name] better.
[name]Lily[/name] - This is probably my favourite name of all time, love, love, love it. It is popular though, and I feel like this may bother you given your other choices. I also don’t think [name]Lily[/name] [name]Winter[/name] sounds very good.

[name]Harriet[/name] [name]Winter[/name] is my favourite, I also like [name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Winter[/name]. I also really like [name]Clara[/name] a lot. If you could change the middle of add another, I really like [name]Lily[/name]. Like…
[name]Lily[/name] [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Winter[/name]
[name]Lily[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Winter[/name]
[name]Lily[/name] [name]Rose[/name] [name]Winter[/name] (double botanical theme I know, but this is really darling)
[name]Lily[/name] [name]Clare[/name] [name]Winter[/name]

[name]Hugo[/name] [name]Jefferson[/name] [name]Winter[/name] is fabulous! My favorites of your girl names are [name]Imogen[/name] and [name]Rosemary[/name], and I would call [name]Imogen[/name] “[name]Genni[/name]”…

[name]Matilda[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Winter[/name] “[name]Mattie[/name]” “[name]Tillie[/name]”
[name]Briony[/name] [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Winter[/name]
[name]Ginevra[/name] [name]Harriet[/name] [name]Winter[/name] “[name]Ginny[/name]”
[name]Trilby[/name] [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Winter[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name] [name]Harriet[/name] [name]Winter[/name] “[name]Tina[/name]”
[name]Georgia[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Winter[/name] “[name]Georgie[/name]” “[name]Gigi[/name]”
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Winter[/name]
[name]Olive[/name] [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Winter[/name] “[name]Liv[/name]”
[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Harriet[/name] [name]Winter[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Winter[/name]
[name]Violet[/name] [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Winter[/name] “[name]Vi[/name]”
[name]Sadie[/name] [name]Harriet[/name] [name]Winter[/name]

Any strike your fancy? I like most all of them with [name]Hugo[/name]…

Thanks for your opinions and suggestions!

I found the thread on [name]Jemima[/name] intriguing.

I like the suggestions as well-- [name]Georgia[/name] and [name]Hazel[/name] have been on and off my list for a while. [name]Georgia[/name] finally went when I met a really obnoxious mother who had a daughter named [name]Georgia[/name]…isn’t that sad–the baggage we pick up? This has also made it nearly impossible for me to use:

[name]Alice[/name] (which I love!)
[name]Sylvia[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name] (which I love!)
[name]Amelia[/name]

Sadness…

Any more suggestions in this vein??

[name]Hi[/name]! :slight_smile:

[name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Winter[/name]: I can’t even begin to tell you how much I love this! :slight_smile: I think it’s beyond gorgeous!

[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Winter[/name]: I think [name]Imogen[/name] is wonderful, but I just realized that [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Winter[/name] sounds like an “image in winter.”

[name]Harriet[/name] [name]Winter[/name]: I love it! [name]Harriet[/name] reminds me of the spunky [name]Harriet[/name] the Spy, and I think that [name]Hattie[/name] is great, too.

[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Winter[/name]: I think [name]Jemima[/name] is beautiful, but I imagine it would be hard for a little [name]Jemima[/name] in the midwest, because while teasing can happen with any name, I sadly think that [name]Jemima[/name] is a sure target.

From your list, [name]Rosemary[/name] is my favorite with [name]Winter[/name], and [name]Harriet[/name] is in second place. I love your style! :slight_smile:

More you may like (and I apologize for repeats):

[name]Adeline[/name] [name]Winter[/name] (lots of N, though)
[name]Aurelia[/name] [name]Winter[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name] [name]Winter[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Winter[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name] [name]Winter[/name]
[name]Celia[/name] [name]Winter[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name] [name]Winter[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name] [name]Winter[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Winter[/name]
[name]Mirabel[/name] [name]Winter[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name] [name]Winter[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Winter[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Winter[/name]
[name]Veronica[/name] [name]Winter[/name] (nn [name]Vera[/name])
[name]Viola[/name] [name]Winter[/name]

Instead of [name]Rosalie[/name], you may like (or hate) [name]Amelie[/name] or [name]Coralie[/name]… :slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Winter[/name]: I’ve never liked [name]Imogen[/name]. I don’t get the appeal; it just sounds like ‘imaging’, and to me, doesn’t have a nice sound.

[name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Winter[/name]: I love this one! It flows beautifully, and I love [name]Rosemary[/name]. I think that while [name]Rose[/name] [name]Winter[/name] is a little cheesy, [name]Rosemary[/name] works fine, since the -mary grounds it a little. This is my favorite!

[name]Harriet[/name] [name]Winter[/name]: I’m probably in the minority, but I dislike [name]Harriet[/name]. All I hear is ‘hairy’ at the beginning.

[name]Rose[/name] [name]Winter[/name]: Yeah, not the best with [name]Winter[/name], even though I love [name]Rose[/name]…

[name]Iris[/name] [name]Winter[/name]: This is beautiful, too! I wouldn’t worry about ‘[name]Ira[/name] Swinter’, since it’s ir-is, not ir-us. And it’s not like ‘swinter’ is an unpleasant word, or something.

[name]Jemima[/name]: I actually know a twelve year old [name]Jemima[/name], and as far as I know, kids her age are not aware of the connotations. I don’t think it would be awful, but I would be cautious.

My favorites are [name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Winter[/name] and [name]Iris[/name] [name]Winter[/name]!

[name]Linnea[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Theodora[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Rosalind[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]

Congratulations on your pregnancy!!!

[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Winter[/name] - I am not fond of the name [name]Imogen[/name].

[name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Winter[/name] – Beautiful and classy!

[name]Harriet[/name] [name]Winter[/name] – I like the name [name]Harriet[/name]; although, it is hard to imagine for a little girl. I think it’s a matter of getting used to it – and certainly everyone who knows her would get used to it.

[name]Lily[/name] - Not a favorite for me, but many people like it.

[name]Primrose[/name] - I do think it’s prissy.

[name]Rose[/name] [name]Winter[/name] - I much prefer [name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Winter[/name].

[name]Iris[/name] [name]Winter[/name] - I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Iris[/name] too. As for the [name]Ira[/name] Swinter concern… hmm. It might not become an issue at all. When introducing herself, she may need to pause for half a second between [name]Iris[/name] and [name]Winter[/name], but once people have heard the name as [name]Iris[/name] [name]Winter[/name], they will not forget such a unique and pretty name and will not confuse it with [name]Ira[/name].

Since you were named after one grandmother, I do think you could get away with naming your daughter after the other grandmother with less risk of hurt feelings. You can explain to the first grandmother that you are giving your other grandmother a turn (as you said).

[name]Jemima[/name] – It’s okay, but not my favorite. The Aunt [name]Jemima[/name] association is not a major problem. I am just not fond of the sound of “mima” in the name. If I knew someone named [name]Jemima[/name], I might come to like it. If you and your husband truly love [name]Jemima[/name], I say GO FOR IT. It’s parents like you who could revive the name. I live in [name]California[/name]. I could be wrong, but I can’t imagine someone being teased too much about the name.

[name]Clare[/name] - Nice, but I prefer the spelling [name]Claire[/name]. [name]Clara[/name] would sound better with [name]Winter[/name].

Such wonderful names!! [name]Hugo[/name]! An absolute fave.

[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Winter[/name]: [name]Imogen[/name] is lovely, but sadly, I too hear, “image in winter.” But if YOU don’t hear it don’t let that dissuade you.

[name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Winter[/name]: This is a winning combo, IMHO. [name]True[/name], they’re both nouns. But I think [name]Rosemary[/name] is so often thought of as a name unto itself, without people mentally referencing the plant, that it wouldn’t be an issue. The same might not be said of [name]Rose[/name], though. And if she goes by [name]Rose[/name] [name]Winter[/name] MAYBE someone would notice it. But honestly, I don’t think it’s a big deal.

[name]Harriet[/name] [name]Winter[/name]: [name]Harriet[/name] is absolutely wearable! [name]Harriet[/name], [name]Hattie[/name], [name]Hettie[/name], [name]Hatsy[/name]… you can’t lose!

[name]Rose[/name] [name]Winter[/name]: In this case, I prefer [name]Rosemary[/name] nn [name]Rose[/name]. Best of both worlds. :slight_smile:

[name]Iris[/name] [name]Winter[/name]: [name]Iris[/name] is wonderful and the only [name]Iris[/name] I know is an amazing woman. Smart as a whip. Sadly, I [name]DO[/name] hear “swinter” when I say it. But maybe my enunciation needs work.

[name]Jemima[/name]: I’m a strong [name]Jemima[/name] supporter, but you know your own family. It could be really difficult if your new baby becomes a source of drama instead of purely a source of joy for everyone involved. That being said, you ultimately have to choose a name that both of you REALLY [name]LOVE[/name]. If that’s [name]Jemima[/name], then so be it. [name]Don[/name]'t settle for a name that both of you don’t like quite as much because someone who’s not going to raise them would prefer something different.

In short, my favorite from your magical list is [name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Winter[/name]. Then [name]Harriet[/name], then [name]Jemima[/name]. You really do have great taste!

[name]Jemima[/name] & [name]Harriet[/name] are my favourites, but any would make a lovely choice, [name]Hugo[/name] is so handsome and I love o endings!

[name]Imogen[/name] is one of my favourite names [name]EVER[/name]! If you really must have a nn you could use gin or ginny

[name]Harriet[/name] is a great name too. If you need a nn you could use hattie

[name]Rosemary[/name] I also love. I think the name is perfect as it is and I wouldnt give it a nn.

[name]Jemima[/name] is not my style. If you called her [name]Jemima[/name] you could nn her jem.

What ever name you pick, who cares what other thinks. You and your husband are the ones who need to love it.

[name]Imogen[/name] is one of my favourite names [name]EVER[/name]! If you really must have a nn you could use gin or ginny

[name]Rosemary[/name] I also love. I think the name is perfect as it is and I wouldnt give it a nn.

[name]Jemima[/name] is not my style. If you called her [name]Jemima[/name] you could nn her jem.

What ever name you pick, who cares what other thinks. You and your husband are the ones who need to love it.

[quote=“maryofegypt”]Hello Hello!

I am suddenly pregnant–! oh dear oh dear!! and suddenly confronted with naming a REAL baby, not merely a hypothetical one. - Congratulations!

My husband and I long ago determined our boy name: which will be: [name]Hugo[/name] [name]Jefferson[/name] [name]Winter[/name]. [name]Hugo[/name] was his great-grandfather (a very interesting person) and [name]Jefferson[/name] is my dad. - love [name]Hugo[/name] [name]Jefferson[/name].

Our top (not in order of preference):

[name]Imogen[/name], [name]Rosemary[/name], [name]Harriet[/name], [name]Rose[/name], [name]Iris[/name], and [name]Jemima[/name]. - love [name]Rosemary[/name] and [name]Iris[/name] the most. [name]Rose[/name] is great, too!

My brief analysis of each:

[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Winter[/name]: I’ve loved [name]Imogen[/name] for a very long time now, which should be a good indicator of its staying power in my own mind. Husband has never been completely convinced (finds it difficult to say and also worries it is too “pop cultury” ie [name]Imogen[/name] Heap). Also, we worry a bit about our American audience (we live in the UK now but will be going back to the States). Neither of us are ecstatic about the nn “[name]Immy[/name].”

[name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Winter[/name]: This is my current favorite. [name]Love[/name] the sound, the [name]Marian[/name] feel (we’re devout Catholics). And I like the nns “[name]Rose[/name]” and “[name]Rosy[/name]” almost as much as I like [name]Rosemary[/name] by itself. Husband likes. I worry that “[name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Winter[/name]” is a bit much–almost like naming our child “[name]Merry[/name] [name]Winter[/name]” or “[name]Snow[/name] [name]Winter[/name]” or some such thing. What do you think about the combo? Cheesy??

I’m in love with [name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Winter[/name] nn [name]Rose[/name] or [name]Rosy[/name], darling!

[name]Harriet[/name] [name]Winter[/name]: I love [name]Harriet[/name]. It’s my grandmother’s name. I am still on the fence about “[name]Hattie[/name]”–which husband likes–but I don’t find it at all difficult to imagine calling an adorable little curly head child “[name]Harriet[/name].” Husband likes, but worries that it is too “hard” for a little girl (he’s into botanicals like [name]Lily[/name]…and even [name]Primrose[/name] and Honeysuckle lol!!). Also–I worry about naming child after one grandmother and leaving the other out. I am very close to my other grandma, though I was named after her, so it probably is fine if give the other a turn. What thinkest you? Is [name]Harriet[/name] wearable? - Yes!

[name]Rose[/name] [name]Winter[/name]: In the [name]Rosemary[/name] line-- a bit more streamlined. Not sure if I like it with “[name]Winter[/name].” Thoughts? - I love [name]Rosemary[/name] even more! love nn [name]Romy[/name], too.

[name]Iris[/name] [name]Winter[/name]: [name]Love[/name], love, love [name]Iris[/name]. [name]Love[/name] the image of the Greek goddess descending on a rainbow. [name]Love[/name] sound. [name]Love[/name] those Is these days! Husband likes it too! My main worry is: “[name]Ira[/name] Swinter.” Is [name]Iris[/name] impossible with our last name?? - I love [name]Iris[/name] [name]Winter[/name].

[name]Jemima[/name]: I love [name]Jemima[/name] deeply passionately. More than [name]Rosemary[/name]. But I am convinced that [name]Jemima[/name]'s day has not come–at least not in the midwest United States. My parents named me and my brother solid, sturdy classics–lovely names, really, but both in the top 10 the year we were born. I can guarantee they would freak if we named our daughter [name]Jemima[/name] (heck! they made faces at inoffensive little “[name]Gemma[/name]” when I mentioned her–mainly to test the waters…"[name]Jemma[/name]" being a possible nn for [name]Jemima[/name] that we love). My husband loves [name]Jemima[/name]. Arg! Stupid racism…stupid syrup. What do you think? Should we just grit our teeth and do it anyway?? - I would stay away from the “syrup” name unless you’re not coming back to the U.S.

These are MY current favorites My husband hasn’t really gotten excited about any of the others, though he is open minded and positive about all. His favorites are: [name]Jemima[/name], [name]Clare[/name], [name]Primrose[/name], and [name]Lily[/name]. [name]DO[/name] YOU HAVE ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS that might fit in with these? I want to get him EXCITED about baby girl!!

[name]Love[/name] [name]Clara[/name]. [name]Primrose[/name] is a fun middle name. [name]Love[/name] [name]Lily[/name], but it’s so popular.

[name]Harriet[/name] [name]Winter[/name] would be my favourite from your list, but all are lovely names anyway. I’ll try and give suggestions that haven’t been mentioned.

[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Laura[/name]
[name]Claudia[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Bethany[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Tallulah[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Carys[/name]/[name]Caris[/name]/[name]Karis[/name]/[name]Karys[/name]
[name]Ruthie[/name]
[name]Leonie[/name]/[name]Leona[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Anneliese[/name]
[name]Ariana[/name]

[name]Rosemary[/name]

I don’t think there’s anything odd about [name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Winter[/name]

You say [name]Jemima[/name] might not fly just yet. Well what about [name]Jamilla[/name]?