Has anyone ever met a Rupert?

Hello,

I was just thinking about the name [name_m]Rupert[/name_m]. There’s such a gentleness and loveliness about this name but I have never come across a [name_m]Rupert[/name_m]. Well, not yet anyway!

I noticed that this name is picking up in popularity in the UK and wondered if anyone knows of a little [name_m]Rupert[/name_m]? Or maybe even an older [name_m]Rupert[/name_m]?

What do you think of this name in general? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it is wearable? I can imagine it on a gorgeous bright eyed baby and a mischievous toddler. I can also picture it on a boy but then worry about how an adolescent would wear the name. Would it perhaps be prone to teasing? [name_f]My[/name_f] husband thinks it sounds a little weak, which is a shame as I think it’s a rather handsome and respectable name.

I’d really love your thoughts on all things [name_m]Rupert[/name_m]. Thank you :blush:

1 Like

My SO and I each have a top boy name and mine is [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] [name_m]Rupert[/name_m]. I’ve never met a [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] personally, but I think it is a really nice spin on [name_m]Robert[/name_m] and I really hope I get to use it!

1 Like

I think it’s a fantastic name! I knew one as a child but I don’t remember a lot about him. [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] Grint is a great namesake! [name_u]Rue[/name_u] is a really cute nn too.

2 Likes

I’ve known several Ruperts, including the husband of one of my good friends, who just turned 40. As far as I know, he’s never had any issues with the name. He’s [name_f]English[/name_f], of Scottish descent.

I really like it! It’s strong and solid but also feels cute and cuddly, and I think it’s one of those names that fits seamlessly throughout a lifetime. [name_u]Love[/name_u] Ru/Rue for short :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I love the nickname [name_u]Rue[/name_u]!

I know 3 Ruperts, all brought up in [name_f]England[/name_f].
One is around 50 and has lived here all his life.
One is around 35 and grew up in [name_f]France[/name_f] but is of [name_f]English[/name_f] descent and now lives here.
One is 17, of Hong Kong descent but lives in [name_f]England[/name_f].

I love the name! It makes me think of the series [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] [name_m]Bear[/name_m] and has a cosy, sweet, yet very wearable and strong feel.

Thank you for sharing your associations with this name :blush: Ahhh - to live in the UK and hear all these lovely and charming names actually being used!! I think [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] deserves bonus points for being so straightforward in terms of spelling and pronunciation :ok_hand:t3:

I live in the UK but I’ve never met a [name_m]Rupert[/name_m]. It’s just not the kind of name that would be popular in my area. I think of the [name_f]Buffy[/name_f] character, [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] [name_m]Giles[/name_m]. To me it seems very upper middle class, southern [name_f]English[/name_f].

1 Like

I’m from the UK and know a [name_m]Rupert[/name_m]. He’d be in is late 30’s I think.

I know a [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] he was probably like 10 when I met him. Good kid.

Love [name_m]Rupert[/name_m]! It’s cute but sophisticated and i think that it sounds similar enough to the more popular [name_m]Robert[/name_m] and [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] that it works

I love [name_m]Rupert[/name_m]! I really want to meet one irl!

It was my childhood nickname and I think it came from a show I watched at the time (early 90s). It was eventually shortened to Roo or [name_u]Rue[/name_u] and now I’d love to use it on a baby as an ode to my family who called me that!

2 Likes

I’ve not met a [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] but saw a rainbow drawing signed [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] on my walk the other day (and another :rainbow: next to it signed by a [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]) in someone’s window. (For those not in the know, kids in the UK have been drawing rainbows to show support for the medical staff working extra hard to keep us safe right now).

I think [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] is a slightly eccentric and very cute name. Seems pretty upper class/posh to me à la names like [name_m]Albert[/name_m], [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], and [name_u]Quentin[/name_u] (not saying that’s a bad thing - just the vibe I get).

2 Likes

Ive met one [name_m]Rupert[/name_m], an elderly man, but hws the only one I’ve ever met. It makes me think immediately of [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] Grint. It’s one of those names that is familiar but also slightly surprising.

No; but the conflicted Nazi character in the TV show “The [name_m]Man[/name_m] in the High Castle” is named [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] in real life. He’s a very good actor and quite good-looking.

Lol - yes - I just looked him up. He is handsome!!

I wonder how this name would go down in Australia? I feel like it would fit right in if we were living in the UK but here in Australia it might be seen as a bit too pretentious :woman_shrugging:t2:

So true - I like its eccentricity and quirkinesses too :wink:

1 Like

[name_m]Rupert[/name_m] would be such a lovely choice for you! It holds so much significance and personal meaning stemming from your childhood. [name_m]How[/name_m] beautiful :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: