Hazel for a boy?

Both me and my partner love the name [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]. We also love the show Umbrella Academy where there is a male character named [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]. What do you guys think of that? Too weird? [name_f]My[/name_f] opinion, as a [name_m]Swede[/name_m], is that I haven’t met any Hazels in my life and don’t have a connection to anyone with the name. To me it is purely a nature name, as in hazelnut and hazel tree. What are your thoughts?

2 Likes

I love Hazel for a boy! I’m a little worried it may lead to teasing though, since kids are mean :((

however, if it isn’t seen as very feminine in Sweden, then I’m sure it’d be fine

I find it to be purely feminine. I might be able to see it as a male middle name, though!

1 Like

I think it could work ! Especially because [name_u]Hayes[/name_u] is a recognizable masculine name

1 Like

I like it on a boy! You may also like the similar sounding [name_m]Hazael[/name_m] or Haziel.

2 Likes

Honestly, why not?

I think it’s just fine!

Kids sure can be mean. [name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_f]Stina[/name_f] and I got called Palestine as a kid. Kids are inventive for sure.

I think [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] should be a boys name. There are so many names that sound super feminine and are used on boys, like [name_u]Shannon[/name_u], [name_f]Tracie[/name_f], [name_u]Lindsey[/name_u] and [name_u]Dana[/name_u].

[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] could be in the same family as [name_u]Axel[/name_u], [name_m]Ace[/name_m], [name_u]Hayes[/name_u], [name_u]Ash[/name_u], [name_m]Hanzel[/name_m] and [name_m]Izrael[/name_m].

If the name was spelled [name_f]Hazelle[/name_f], then yeah, that’s totally feminine.

I think [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] could work on a boy, especially if you’re in a place where it isn’t used heavily on girls. It’s fresh and sweet and I believe there’s a male character in Steinbeck’s Cannery [name_f]Row[/name_f] called [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]

I really like hazel for a boy !! i think the show umbrella academy will help to bring more attention to hazel on boys and since it’s not popular where you are, i think it’s fine, really pretty actually !! i don’t think hazel is too feminine since it’s along the lines of other gender neutral nature names such as river, sage and willow.

I’ve met too many women with this name to consider it for a boy myself. But if you live in [name_u]Sweden[/name_u] and [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] isn’t a common feminine name over there, then I think it would probably be fine.

1 Like

Before I saw people using it for girls, I thought it was a boys name primarily. It looks and sounds very masculine.

I love [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]. If it’s at all popular where you live, maybe Hazelwood nn [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] or [name_u]Haze[/name_u]. [name_f]My[/name_f] great aunt [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] went by Haze/Hayes.

I can be pretty traditional when it comes names, but I like [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] for a boy. It makes me think of Watership Down – which isn’t as cool as Umbrella Academy perhaps, but it’s one of my favorite books. :slight_smile:

Ooo! I’ve never been a big fan of [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] but I actually really like it for a boy!

I like it and think it would work fine though I’m not sure it’s great to give a boy a mostly girls name generally. Would he like it when he grows up an travels? It does sound quite similar to [name_u]Basil[/name_u] or Haze/Hayes.

I was just going to mention the Umbrella Academy. ( Great show) I think it’s useable on a boy

As a girl named Hazel, I say go for it. We’ll welcome him into the family of Hazel’s with open arms! It’s a great name!

hazel used to be a unisex name! it tends to be that when new names are made up there’s a moment’s hesitation as to whether it’s for a boy or a girl, and usually the girls’ name asserts itself. for a modern example see “sage”.

in his essay “such, such were the joys”, george orwell mentions he knew a boy at prep school named hazel. reminds me of “basil”, really.

1 Like

I say go for it. Why not.