HELP! :( Baby name remorse!

My husband and I new that our daughter would be [name]Iris[/name] [name]Leia[/name] the day we found out we were expecting…it literally just came to us like an epiphany…so (once we knew she was a she) I called her [name]Baby[/name] [name]Iris[/name] throughout my pregnancy. When we announced to our family that we were having a baby girl and that her name would be [name]Iris[/name] [name]Leia[/name] many of my family members responded with “well, since you are the eldest with the middle name [name]Ann[/name] we assumed you would give her that name…such a shame”. Well, I felt guilty. See, [name]Ann[/name] is my middle name as well as my mothers, grandmothers, great-grandmothers and cousins alike. I swore I would NEVER use that name because it’s so blah. Nevertheless, we changed her name to [name]Iris[/name] [name]Leia[/name] [name]Ann[/name] and today I wouldn’t have it any other way. Once she was born though, I had a hard time calling her [name]Iris[/name]. I went through a whole bunch of nicknames and eventually settled on Pumpkin. So she is my little Pumpkin but she knows her name is [name]Iris[/name] (and it’s still my number one pick). And big brother calls her [name]Sissy[/name].

I have a friend who named her daughter [name]Jillian[/name] but they call her [name]Lili[/name] (lee-lee)because her son couldn’t say [name]Jillian[/name]. To me, [name]Jillian[/name] seems more of a hippie, granola, green name; something maybe out of the 70’s. I think it would fit in with names like [name]Summer[/name] or [name]Paisley[/name]

The point is, you and your husband need to forget about what everyone else thinks and go with whatever your heart tells you to do. Try [name]Genevieve[/name] on for size and see if it fits her. It might, it might not. You might end up calling her something different all together. My dad calls me Bean, I call my daughter Pumpkin and my husbands father calls him [name]Giovanni[/name] b/c it’s the Italian version of [name]John[/name]. Best of luck!

I’m going through some mom issues of my own right now in terms of a baby name, and all I can say is this – do what YOU want. Change her name, and then present it as a done deal.

I too have had some baby name remorse and so I sympathise with you. My husband chose our son’s name, and while I didn’t actively dislike the name, it just didn’t sound right to me. I had several names that I would have preferred, but I didn’t have my heart set on any of them in the same way that my husband did.

I went with his choice of name - partly because I didn’t want to disappoint my husband, and also because having been in labour all night, I was exhausted and not really thinking straight!

He is now 4 months old and I have been considering changing his name, as I have been worrying about it so much.

I think the difficulty you have is that your husband seems opposed to changing your daughter’s name. I don’t think it is too late to change it, and you shouldn’t worry about what anyone may think about it. However, I think that yoiur husband needs to be on board for such an important change. If you haven’t already, you need to sit down with him to explain how important this is to you. Changing the middle name is less drastic than changing the first name, so would you consisder [name]Jillian[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name], and just drop the [name]Paige[/name]? Or even [name]Jillian[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] - so your daughter can choose which name she prefers when she is older? I personally think [name]Jillian[/name] is a lovely name, but it is how you and your husband feel that matters.

My husband has said we can change our son’s name if it would make me happier. However, knowing how much he likes the name we have chosen I don’t think I will seriously ask him to. I call our son by his middle name sometimes (which I prefer) but I am finding that I am getting used to his first name as time goes on. I still feel a tinge of regret, especially when I am telling people his name for the first time, but it is becoming less of a deal for me. You may find the same, and one day you may find that the name [name]Jillian[/name] just fits.

Good luck with whatever you decide

oh i think [name]Jillian[/name] is beautiful!!! not trashy etc at all!!! as for G spelling, i am a big J person, so i can’t help there, sry.
i also had baby name remorse, in 2001, after naming my precious son Xylieh (pn: ZY-lee), i was tormented, thinking patrick should’ve gone first and xy 2nd!!! alas, i didn’t do anything about it. if you are certain in your heart, do it NOW!
what do you think of [name]Juliane[/name]? i hope this helped a lil, i have been there sweetie :slight_smile:
let us know what you decide, k? what’s her mn?

<3 Jiinxsay

[name]How[/name] is it going? I haven’t heard your son’s name here yet, and I really like it!

I’m getting more used to [name]Jillian[/name] as my daughter’s name, and now that she’s developing more of a personality her seems to suite her.

[name]Gillian[/name] pronounced the same way is my sister’s name. I don’t particularly like it. I would absolutely love [name]Juliet[/name] or [name]Julia[/name] though.

No, it is not too late to change your baby’s name. I think you need to be absolutely in love with the name as well as the baby. All the best!

[name]Hi[/name]! I just wanted to say that a lot of people on here are suggesting [name]Gillian[/name] as a name, sounding like [name]Jillian[/name]. I just really wanted to say that it bothers me that so many people pronouce it [name]Jillian[/name]! My cousin’s name is [name]Gillian[/name] but pronounced with a solid g instead of [name]Jillian[/name]. She hates that everyone calls her [name]Jillian[/name].

[/quote]

[name]Hi[/name],

I’m so pleased that you are getting used to the name [name]Jillian[/name]. I’m also getting used to my baby’s name, and am no longer considering changing it. I think I will leave the possibility of using his middle name open though - he can decide for himself when he is a bit older.

Its an up and down process for me; one moment I feel like I have finally got over it and that I really like his name, but the next I wonder how I could have let my husband talk me into it! I have spend a dis-proportionate amount of time worrying about it, and what other people think of it, when I know that I should just be grateful that I have a wonderful, beautiful and healthy son. I don’t usually worry so much about what other people think, and I’m really unsure as to why it seems so important to me now.

Have you decided to keep [name]Jillian[/name]'s name as it is then? Again, I think it’s a lovely name

[/quote]

I personally love [name]Jillian[/name], but [name]Katherine[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] is gorgeous! [name]Kate[/name] is a great nickname. I’m so sorry that someone pressured you into naming your baby something that you aren’t happy with. At first I was going to encourage you to stick with [name]Jillian[/name] because it is such a darling name, but after hearing more of your story I hope you go back and change it to what was originally on the birth certificate. It is your baby, after all.

I love the name [name]Jillian[/name] and consider it a classic name. I think that it is a beautiful name and might just need some growing into! I highly dislike the nn [name]Jill[/name], though.

Awwwww! I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Jillian[/name]! It’s on my short list for girls!!
The SSA gives you 6 months to change your baby’s name (w/o having to take legal action), so you can do it!!!
If you feel strongly about it, I say go for it!!! A lifetime of remorse is way more of a burden than 3 months of name that you ended up changing to one that was more fitting.

Our daughter is now six months old and her name is still [name]Jillian[/name]. We sometimes call her [name]Jilly[/name]. I took her to a swim lesson and the instructor kept calling her [name]Jill[/name], guess I will have to get used to that. I’m getting more and more comfortable with her name, but if I was naming her all over again, would I choose another name…I just might!

Well, even if [name]Jillian[/name] was a mistake, it wasn’t a bad mistake. I think [name]Jillian[/name] is lovely. I think the nn [name]Jill[/name] is also wonderful, and makes the name [name]Jillian[/name] all the more appealing. You don’t hear the name [name]Jill[/name] that often any more, but it’s a classic gem. [name]Jillie[/name] is also cute.

I would be fine with [name]Jillian[/name] as my own name or my daughter’s name.

I actually really like [name]Jillian[/name] nn [name]Jilly[/name]. As much as I love [name]Julianne[/name] I think I can honestly say [name]Jillian[/name]'s sound appeals to me more. Besides this board I know of one other [name]Jill[/name], a second cousin I’ve met only a few times. I really think it’s pretty.

I’m pretty sure you have 1 year to change the name. We almost changed my son’s, from [name]Jacob[/name] to I don’t remember what now, because when we chose his name we didn’t realize it had been #1 for so long (and still is)! So we were kind of uneasy about it being #1. It suits him, but I HATE hearing [name]Jacob[/name] everywhere we go.
I really like [name]Jaquelyn[/name] or [name]Jaclyn[/name], and also [name]Josephine[/name]. Good luck!

I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Jillian[/name] and was just talking about how beautiful it was to a couple of ladies today! It’s timeless, and such a lovely name. I would call her [name]Jilly[/name].

Whatever you do, if you aren’t going to change it, don’t let [name]Jillian[/name] know you didn’t like it! She may love it!

Thanks for the update! I’m glad to hear how you are feeling acceptance with your decision. I think [name]Jillian[/name] is a great name, and the name [name]Jill[/name] always makes me think happy things.