Help us decide a name for our little man

Hi all

We would love your thoughts on the following names for our baby boy due in [name_f]September[/name_f]. We are torn between them!

Finley ([name_u]Finn[/name_u] for short) - this is our favourite but we’re worried it’s becoming too popular (?!)
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] ([name_m]Seb[/name_m] for short) - both like it but not sure if it’s too posh?
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m] - same as [name_m]Seb[/name_m], is it too posh?
[name_m]Rupert[/name_m] - a new entrant to the mix, but not sure what you’d shorten to?

Surname is [name_m]Brookes[/name_m].

Would love to hear your favourite of these / any other suggestions!!??

Thank you!

2 Likes

You have a great list! [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] is my favorite from it–I find it bright, upbeat, and interesting but definitely not too posh. I love it with your surname, too! The first suggestion that sprang to mind was [name_m]Finnian[/name_m]–kind of a mix between [name_u]Finley[/name_u] and [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], much less common than [name_u]Finley[/name_u], but still gives you [name_u]Finn[/name_u] as a nn. Good luck! :blush:

5 Likes

All of these names are lovely!

I definitely don’t think [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] or [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] sound posh. They both feel pretty down to earth to me. If you’re worried about [name_u]Finley[/name_u]’s popularity, the popularity of those two names may bother you as well. Not sure where you’re at, but [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] is #18 in the US, #28 in the UK, and #37 in Australia. [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] is #53 in the UK and #47 in Australia (ranks at #422 in the US, tho). [name_u]Finley[/name_u] is #273 in the US and #30 in the UK (doesn’t rank in Australia).

Hugo or [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] is probably my favourite. I like the nickname [name_u]Rue[/name_u] for [name_m]Rupert[/name_m].

Other suggestions:
[name_m]Harvey[/name_m]
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u]
[name_u]Jasper[/name_u]
[name_m]Walter[/name_m]
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m]
[name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_u]Laurence[/name_u]
[name_m]Alfred[/name_m]

3 Likes

Thank you - love your suggestions! [name_u]Rue[/name_u] is actually a really lovely shortening for [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] :slight_smile: i like it

We’ve had [name_m]Felix[/name_m] and [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] floating about too!!

2 Likes

I like [name_u]Finley[/name_u] or [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] with your last name!

I’m not a big fan of [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] or [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] but this is simply personal opinion here!

1 Like

I love longer names with spunky nicknames! I love [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] , [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] and [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] . I do think [name_u]Finley[/name_u] is a little popular. I know several [name_u]Finley[/name_u], [name_m]Phineas[/name_m], [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m] and [name_u]Finn[/name_u]’s, but there is a reason why it’s popular!
I think [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] or [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] would get my vote! I adore [name_u]Rue[/name_u] With your last name!!

1 Like

Rupert, Sebastian, & Hugo are my favorites from your list

I like Finn but prefer Griffin or Florian as a full name for it

Rupert Sebastian Brookes sounds like an old movie star

Some others

Malcom “Mac”
Terrence “Tate”
Lawerence “Lars”
Desmond
Dorian “Rory”
Linus
Wendell
Franklin
Leland/Lionel/Leopold “Leo”
Harland “Hank”
Winston
Magnus “Gus”
Preston
Spencer
Chandler
Tully
Micah
Darren
Rocco
Asa
Quentin
Percy
Gunnar
Hiram
Alasdair
Ronan
Orion
Grant
Emil
Otto
Otis
Cecil
Errol
Edsel/Edgar/Edwin
Hamish

2 Likes

Hugo is my favorite! So classic yet not overly popular!

1 Like

I love [name_m]Rupert[/name_m], [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] and [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]!

2 Likes

Hugo and [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] are some of my favourite names and I definitely don’t think they’re too posh to use at all. If they weren’t so popular where I’m from I’d use both of them in a heartbeat!

I like [name_u]Finley[/name_u] too although if you’re worried about popularity, I’d go for something like [name_m]Finnian[/name_m], [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m], [name_m]Finbar[/name_m] or [name_m]Phineas[/name_m].

Rupert is also a great choice and easily the least common of them all. Ru would be a great nickname for it.

Ultimately, I think any of these would work brilliantly but my vote goes either to [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] or [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]. You just can’t go wrong with either.

1 Like

I love [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]; it feels very friendly to me, probably my top choice! [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] and [name_u]Finley[/name_u] are also wonderful, and [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] has lots of character! I don’t think you can go wrong with this list. Except for [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] (in the US, at least), I think they’re all decently popular.

Love previous suggestions of [name_m]Finnian[/name_m] from @dandy_orchid and @futuremama’s whole list!

2 Likes

Hugo sounds great with your last name.

1 Like

Rupert [name_m]Brookes[/name_m] ([name_u]Rue[/name_u])
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m] [name_m]Brookes[/name_m] (Huwie, [name_m]Hugo[/name_m])
[name_m]Felix[/name_m] [name_m]Brookes[/name_m] ([name_u]Fee[/name_u], [name_u]Eli[/name_u])
[name_m]Alfred[/name_m] [name_m]Brookes[/name_m] ([name_u]Alfie[/name_u], [name_u]Freddie[/name_u])

These are my favourite four with your surname. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of them. They’re all lovely.

1 Like

Hugo! I love it and it flows really well with your surname.

1 Like

Love [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]

1 Like

Hugo is my favorite. I like [name_u]Finn[/name_u], but agree it’s very popular. I prefer [name_m]Finnian[/name_m] with no nickname (though it’s hard to control that sometimes!) I slightly prefer [name_m]Baz[/name_m] as a nn to [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], but [name_m]Seb[/name_m] is great too. It’s just that [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] is even more popular than [name_u]Finn[/name_u] in my area. Since you said popularity was a concern it might be something to keep in mind. [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] is not my style but that doesn’t mean it’s not a good name! All that being said my vote goes to [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]

1 Like

I would go with [name_u]Finley[/name_u] or [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]. I don’t think either are too popular or posh :slight_smile: although they are great names!

1 Like

I love [name_u]Finley[/name_u]! If it’s your favorite, go for it.

1 Like

I like [name_u]Finley[/name_u] and [name_m]Hugo[/name_m].

1 Like

I love [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] the most. Always have. For some reason I think of a Russian bear when I hear the name [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], but it looks like everyone else loves it so don’t worry about that! It’s just my personal thoughts. Also [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] [name_m]Brookes[/name_m] is a killer name.