Help! We need a girl name that works in Finnish and English

So I’m Finnish and my husband is British. His family is a bit… well, posh and it’s a tradition for their family to use old-fashioned names which is fine with me because I like those types of names as well. And yet, I’m really struggling.

We already have a three-year-old called [name_f]Elisabet[/name_f] (Finnish spelling) and her sister’s due date was yesterday so she’s going to be born any day now and we still don’t have a name for her.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Elisabet’s full name is Elisabet Susanna Helena and one of her baby sister’s middle names will be Emilia after me.

2 Likes

@Luminen!

4 Likes

I thought of the name [name_f]Sofia[/name_f] for you, since I think it’s also of Finnish origin! The name [name_f]Aleksandra[/name_f] would also pair nicely with [name_f]Elisabet[/name_f], a couple of other ones are:

• Kaarina
  • Susanna
  • Camilla
  • Fredrika
  • Margareta

I tried to find the finish spelling for these along with Finnish names that would translate well in [name_m]Britain[/name_m]! [name_f]My[/name_f] vote Is for [name_f]Fredrika[/name_f]! As it has the poshness the family may like :rofl: ultimately my favorite is [name_f]Kaarina[/name_f]!

1 Like

How did I not think of [name_f]Sofia[/name_f]?! That’s definitely going on the list. Let’s hope that my husband likes that one. We thought about [name_f]Aleksandra[/name_f]/Alexandra for a while but apparently, I struggle with pronouncing it :smile:

Kaarina: [name_f]My[/name_f] cousin’s name so I don’t want to use it.
[name_f]Susanna[/name_f]: Cute, love it! But it’s already one of [name_f]Elisabet[/name_f]’s middle names.
[name_f]Camilla[/name_f]: Not my favorite. [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t know why.
[name_f]Fredrika[/name_f]: Same problem as with [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]. I can’t pronounce it well, haha.
[name_f]Margareta[/name_f]: Hmm… I’ll have to think about this one. Not sure if I love it or hate it.

Thank you so much for all the lovely suggestions!

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] @Emiliasnames - I’m Finnish too and me and my American wife live in [name_f]Scotland[/name_f]. [name_f]Elisabet[/name_f] is such a perfect Finnish-[name_f]English[/name_f] name!

We’ve played around with:

[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]
[name_f]Erika[/name_f]
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]
[name_f]Annette[/name_f]
[name_f]Emma[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Leila[/name_f]
[name_f]Elvira[/name_f]
[name_f]Amanda[/name_f]
[name_f]Alma[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f]
[name_f]Anastasia[/name_f]
[name_f]Miriam[/name_f]
[name_f]Kristina[/name_f]
[name_f]Lillian[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] (yes, it’s really popular in the UK… but the lack of pronunciation issues still makes it appealing to me :smile:)
[name_f]Rebekka[/name_f]
[name_f]Emilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Evelina[/name_f]

Some of these ideas I’ve picked up from the Finnish-Swedish nameday calendar. I’ve found it useful for finding names that aren’t too weird in either country, even though my family isn’t Swedish-speaking.

3 Likes

Adelina
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Heidi[/name_f]
[name_f]Fredrika[/name_f]
[name_f]Irina[/name_f]
[name_f]Kaarina[/name_f]/Karina
[name_f]Nina[/name_f]
[name_f]Paulina[/name_f]
[name_f]Oona[/name_f]
[name_f]Rebekka[/name_f]

Hello there fellow [name_u]Finn[/name_u]! I agree [name_f]Elisabet[/name_f] is the perfect Finnish-[name_f]English[/name_f] name and for me the most beautiful name in general. I pretty much just told my husband that our daughter will be [name_f]Elisabet[/name_f] and he agreed. Oh, it was so nice and easy :sweat_smile: I’ll definitely check out the name calender you suggested!

Now to the names you suggested:

Vivian: I’m okay with it. Husband doesn’t like it at all. [name_u]Boo[/name_u]!
[name_f]Erika[/name_f]: Pretty but with [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] being one of the middle names I’m not sure…
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]: So beautiful! On the list it goes! (Although I prefer longer names usually)
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]: Pretty. [name_m]Will[/name_m] think about it.
[name_f]Annette[/name_f]: [name_m]Just[/name_m] not my style.
[name_f]Emma[/name_f]: Pretty but once again with the whole [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] thing… maybe not.
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]: Onto the list it goes! [name_u]Love[/name_u] it!
[name_f]Leila[/name_f]: Not my fav.
[name_f]Elvira[/name_f]: Mmh, maybe. Have a feeling hubby isn’t going to like it though, haha.
[name_f]Amanda[/name_f]: A family member’s daughter’s name is already [name_f]Amanda[/name_f].
[name_f]Alma[/name_f]: Not my style.
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f]: Mmm… No. I like [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] but I don’t know.
[name_f]Anastasia[/name_f]: [name_f]Kinda[/name_f] like it, kinda don’t.
[name_f]Miriam[/name_f]: Not sure yet what I think of this name. Not my favorite.
[name_f]Kristina[/name_f]: There are so many Kristinas that I know so maybe not :smile:
[name_f]Lillian[/name_f]: No.
[name_f]Isabella[/name_f]: No.
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]: Like you said, it’s so popular! Not that [name_f]Elisabet[/name_f] isn’t but you know… [name_m]Will[/name_m] think about it but it’s probably a no from me.
[name_f]Rebekka[/name_f]: No.
[name_f]Emilia[/name_f]: Is my name and will be one of the new baby’s middle names.
[name_f]Evelina[/name_f]: Pretty.

Thank you so much for the suggestions!

1 Like

Elisabet is a gorgeous name! [name_f]Welcome[/name_f] to Nameberry and all the best with your new arrival :two_hearts:

International names I think work well with [name_f]Elisabet[/name_f]…

Josephine or [name_f]Josefine[/name_f]
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f]
[name_f]Elinor[/name_f] or [name_f]Eleonore[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Celia[/name_f] or [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Freyja[/name_f] or [name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Saskia[/name_f]
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f] or [name_f]Lovisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] or [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f]
[name_f]Claudia[/name_f]
[name_f]Annora[/name_f]
[name_f]Evelina[/name_f]
[name_f]Sunniva[/name_f]
[name_f]Cosima[/name_f]
[name_f]Serafina[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Theodora[/name_f]
[name_f]Dorothea[/name_f]
[name_f]Katerina[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]

Best of luck! :four_leaf_clover:

I apologize I don’t know much about how Finnish works as a language but these are my suggestions. Hopefully some of them actually work:

Paulina
[name_f]Johanna[/name_f]
Josefiina
[name_f]Susanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Alisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Camilla[/name_f]
[name_f]Minna[/name_f]
[name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_f]Katariina[/name_f]

Aww, thank you! I’m surprised how many people have already helped me out in this short amount of time :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Josephine/Josefine: In Finland, this name would most likely be Josefiina but Josefiine would kind of work too. But I don’t think I like it enough to use it at least as a first name.

Clementine: Doesn’t work in the Finnish language. But it’s very cute!

Elinor/Eleonore: I’ve thought about [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] but I don’t know…

Matilda: [name_u]Love[/name_u] it! Already on the list.

Celia/Cecilia: I do like it but with [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] as a middle name, it doesn’t really work.

Freyja/Freya: [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t really like it.

Saskia: No.

Louisa/Lovisa: In Finnish, it would be [name_f]Lovisa[/name_f]/Loviisa. I’ll have to think about this one and ask my husband what he thinks about it.

Magdalen/Magdalena: A bit too complicated for me.

Claudia: No, don’t really like it.

Annora: Never heard of this. I have thought about [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] though. What do you guys think about [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]?

Evelina: [name_u]Love[/name_u] it!

Sunniva, [name_f]Cosima[/name_f], [name_f]Serafina[/name_f], [name_f]Flora[/name_f]: No.

Theodora: Might become one of her middle names.

Dorothea: Not my favorite as it would be a bit odd in Finnish.

Katerina: I’ve thought about [name_f]Katariina[/name_f] but probably no.

Clara: Cute but not what we are looking for.

Thank you so much for your suggestions!

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions!

Adelina: [name_u]Love[/name_u] it, on the list it goes!

Cecilia: Doesn’t work with [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] (her middle name.)

Heidi: No.

Fredrika: No.

Irina: I just think about the singer. No.

Kaarina/Karina: Already in the family.

Nina: Too short and not my favorite anyway.

Paulina: No.

Oona: Cute!

Rebekka: No.

1 Like

Thank you! You did very well!

Paulina: [name_m]Just[/name_m] not my type of name.
[name_f]Johanna[/name_f]: Cute but… not sure of it.
Josefiina: Not my favorite.
[name_f]Susanna[/name_f]: Beautiful. One of [name_f]Elisabet[/name_f]’s middle names.
[name_f]Alisa[/name_f]: In Finnish, [name_f]Alisa[/name_f] or Aliisa. Might put this on the list.
[name_f]Camilla[/name_f]: Not my fav.
[name_f]Minna[/name_f]: No.
[name_f]Julia[/name_f]: Beautiful. [name_m]Will[/name_m] have to think about it.
[name_f]Katariina[/name_f]: Pretty but maybe not my style.

1 Like

I like it but it doesn’t feel quite as classic as [name_f]Elisabet[/name_f] or her middle names.

Is [name_f]Anna[/name_f] too plain? Maybe [name_f]Annika[/name_f]?

[name_f]Valentina[/name_f]?

Yes, I see what you’re saying and kind of agree. [name_f]Annika[/name_f] isn’t my favorite, it’s sounds a bit too early 2000s to me. [name_f]Anna[/name_f] is beautiful but yes, a bit plain for me. [name_f]Valentina[/name_f]… I’ll think about it for sure.

1 Like

Okay, so me and my husband went through all the names that you guys sent us and we still gladly accept more of them. We’ve now decided on the two middle names which I will tell everyone once the baby is born, along with the first name of course, but these are the names we are thinking about giving our little girl:

Evelina/Eveliina
[name_f]Sophia[/name_f]/Sofia
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Alisa[/name_f]/Aliisa
[name_f]Adelina[/name_f]/Adeliina/Ada

My husband still doesn’t know which one is his favorite but I’m leaning toward one of these names. What do you guys think?

Also, funny fact, only about ten minutes ago, I had a bit of contraction kind of little thingy but I’m not going to get too excited yet. Maybe baby girl’s just waiting for us to give her a name before joining us here in the world :grin:

4 Likes

I really love [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] and [name_f]Adelina[/name_f] (+variations) both independently and a sister to little [name_f]Elisabet[/name_f]! Good luck :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I love [name_f]Adelina[/name_f] and [name_f]Evelina[/name_f]! [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] is also gorgeous

3 Likes

Adelina is by far my favorite! I like [name_f]Evelina[/name_f] as well. Best of luck to you and your growing family!

1 Like

I love [name_f]Evelina[/name_f] so much. I think it’s far prettier than [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u], for some reason. I think it will work great for your British family as well. [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] is also beautiful.
I know [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] didn’t make your final list but it’s such a nice nod to Finland and your northern lights. And this is totally random but I am such a huge fan of the composer [name_u]Jean[/name_u] Sibelius and feel a slight affinity for Finland due to his music :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like