Honest thoughts on Eloise

Hello everyone!
I’m reaching out to ask for some honest opinions on the name [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] hubs and I are really struggling on finding a girls name that we like and that we continue to like months down the line. We would pronounce it el-o-eese (not with the Weez sound) We would also probably Call her [name_f]Elle[/name_f] as a NN. I like this as it’s quite cool and fresh to my ears over the typical [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f].
Our previous names we liked were [name_f]Margot[/name_f] and [name_f]Edie[/name_f] - both I’m sadly going off for some reason.
Any honest opinions are greatly received!

Thanks so much in advance.

I love [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]! It’s classic and beautiful and has a lot of great nickname options. :orange_heart:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! We like it too, it feels fresh yet quite timeless too

1 Like

Definitely! It’s in that perfect sweet spot. Also, it’s one that’s well known and recognizable, but not super popular, which is really nice.

1 Like

LOVE [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]!

1 Like

I love [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]! Although, I do think it’ll be very hard to get people to pronounce the last syllable as -ees instead of -weez

1 Like

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] has never been my favourite, but I definitely see the appeal. I like how it’s girly without being overly frilly, and [name_f]Elle[/name_f] is such a beautiful nickname!

1 Like

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] is pretty and sleek - it has a kind of classic vibe while still feeling fresh!!

1 Like

Thank you so much for your replies! I think name choosing has to be one of the hardest decisions I’ve ever had to make so really appreciate your thoughts.

I’m really thinking [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] is a strong contender!

although it’s not my personal style, I do like [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]! it’s soft and dainty, and feels warm to me. she gives me both warm spring day vibes, as well as cozy winter nights!

1 Like

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] seems like a chic name to me

1 Like

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] is a beautiful name! It’s soft recognizable and feels like [name_u]French[/name_u] royalty.

[name_f]My[/name_f] only hesitation would be the mispronunciation, but as with a lot of names it may just be inevitable

1 Like

Very pretty name with great nicknames options but I do find it slightly hard to pronounce.

1 Like

I really like it! I love [name_f]Elle[/name_f] as a nick name, but also [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] and [name_f]Ella[/name_f] are so cute and sweet so it wouldn’t be annoying if she gets those every now and then as well. [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] [name_f]Margot[/name_f] is actually a great combo IMO.

1 Like

It is actually! Thanks for the suggestion :smiley:

I like it a lot. I think Bridgerton gave me an appreciation for it. However I wonder if you will be bothered by other people saying the weeze sound? Seems like its the typical pronunciation. The difference is really subtle.

2 Likes

I really like [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]! It always reminds me of the movies and books of [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], and I honestly think it’s an adorable association :relaxed: and [name_f]Elle[/name_f] is a sweet nickname!

1 Like

I know someone who used this name for her daughter, who’s about 4 now. I’ve never met another [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], so I love that it’s uncommon! I think it’s really sweet name!!

1 Like

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] is lovely! :yellow_heart: So bright and warm and full of energy. [name_f]My[/name_f] only reservation for you is that I think it could be hard to enforce the pronunciation you’re going for–how much would it bother you if other people use the “weez” pronunciation? Other than that, I think it’s a wonderful choice!

2 Likes

I like [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] - it’s a beautiful name, familiar to most but not overly common. I like [name_f]Elle[/name_f] for a nickname too.

I’m sure this varies by dialect, but it is not possible for me to say [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] without a W sound in the middle. I am from the upper Midwest USA, and I do have a fairly rounded long O sound. [name_m]Even[/name_m] when I’m really thinking about it, there’s just a W sound that ends up going between the O & long E sounds, because the physical motion of going between those sounds is exactly the physical motion of making a W sound. I think the only way I could avoid a W sound would be to make an awkward space in between the syllables.

I would caution against using [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] if it would bother you when other people add a W sound in the middle. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if you correct people, they may not be physically able to say [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] without the W sound. I think the Z vs S sound at the end is more correctable, but even so she’ll probably end up being called Elo-weez by many people. If that will irritate you, it’s probably best to find another name.

2 Likes