Honest thoughts on Lillevi?

This beautiful name came as a suggestion from @tallemaja, and I was absolutely struck!

According to Behind the Name, it’s a modern Swedish name meaning “little devoted one”. It feels almost like it was created with me in mind. I absolutely love Ls and Vs in names, [name_f]Lily[/name_f] is an important honor name, I have Swedish ancestry, and the flow is similar to other names I love such as [name_f]Eleni[/name_f] and [name_f]Nephele[/name_f]. Is this the full name for [name_f]Liv[/name_f] that I’ve been searching for??

I’d love to hear your thoughts! Thanks!

3 Likes

love the meaning of little mother!

1 Like

Oh I love Lillevi. [name_f]Lilly[/name_f] and [name_f]Liv[/name_f] are both really nice nn’s. I love it.

Totally saving it for a character…

1 Like

I’m Swedish and I definitely wouldn’t say it’s a modern name, the average age of people named Lillevi in [name_u]Sweden[/name_u] is 57, but I do agree with what Behind the Name says the meaning is, “lille” literally means “little” in Swedish. We pronounce it LIL-eh-vee, but you could also use another pronunciation. I think it’s a really nice name and useable in [name_f]English[/name_f] speaking countries!

5 Likes

A little biased since I suggested it, but I love it!
It’s dainty and pretty but bold and interesting, and the nicknames are really cute! It’s a really unexpected [name_f]Lil[/name_f]- name that’d stand out without being weird.
I instinctively pronounced it like @hedvigpihh said it was pronounced.

1 Like

Lillevi is intriguing. I quite like it

2 Likes

I have never considered this before but it is beautiful and unique!

1 Like

Its unique. I’d pronounce it Lill-e-vay. Is that correct?

1 Like

It works ~ very pretty, I think!

1 Like

Ooh, beautiful! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

@theycallmemommy, ooh where do you see that meaning? I can’t find this name almost anywhere lol.

@night_blossom, go for it! This would be an amazing character name!

@hedvigpihh, maybe “modern” isn’t the right word, but BtN said the name wasn’t in use until the early 20th century, which is what I meant. That pronunciation is exactly what I want!

@tallemaja, I totally agree!

@caramel107, @jonquils, anyone else who has trouble with the pronunciation, how would you say it? I can’t think of anything other than LIL-eh-vee, but I want to know what others could potentially see as well.

2 Likes

I spelt it for my friend and she guessed
lil-EV-ee, but it shouldn’t be too hard to correct.

1 Like

Beautiful and unique. One of those names that if someone mispronounces it, they will love it when they hear it correctly. So I wouldn’t worry about that.

1 Like

I would have guessed that it was pronounced lil-EH-vee, but it’s a gorgeous name either way!

1 Like

It’s a gorgeous name! I’m saving it for a book, definitely. It has a wonderful meaning.
I pronounce it Lillev-ee.

1 Like

Oh I love it! I’ve never seen it before, but it seems my first guess at pronunciation was right at least. I really like [name_f]Lily[/name_f] and [name_f]Evi[/name_f]/Evy (eh-vee) and this really puts them together. [name_f]Liv[/name_f] as a nickname would be fantastic!

1 Like

Okay, I guess I wouldn’t have thought about emphasizing the second syllable because that sounds super awkward in my accent but it’s an easy fix!

@LiliMorgana, omg I also adore the nickname [name_f]Evy[/name_f]/Evi!

1 Like

Honestly, I think it’s a mouthful.

I know a Hillevi and I don’t find that name hard to pronounce, but Lillevi is more challenging even though I am pronouncing it the right way I think ([name_f]Lil[/name_f]-eh-vee, so that it rhymes with Hillevi).

1 Like

After reading what you and everyone else has said about it I think it’s a lovely idea for you. It seems to fit all your ideas and you seem to already have a strong connection to it.
However, I initially read it as lil [name_u]Levi[/name_u]. As in a little boy being referred to as lil’ [name_u]Levi[/name_u].
I also thought it sounded very similar to a colonisation of bacteria when pronounced this way. I’m in Australia but I don’t think that has anything to do with the way I read it, probably just what my eyes caught onto first.
To avoid this perhaps adding an e to the end would make it more clear it was [name_f]Lil[/name_f]-[name_f]Evie[/name_f] and not the “eye” ending. Or changing the e to and a so it didn’t contain the name [name_u]Levi[/name_u]. Lillavi. Lillevie.
I don’t think having to explain a names pronunciation is the end of the world though. If you love it don’t hesitate to use it.

2 Likes

I have a [name_u]Levi[/name_u] so that’s where my mind went too. Cause when he was a baby I even called him little [name_u]Levi[/name_u]. But when you introduced someone as Lillevi, I suppose that would clear things up.

1 Like