Hot Takes? šŸ¤­

Hmmā€¦ hot takes from this thread :wink:

I LOVE:
[name_f]Mila[/name_f] (pn. MEE-la, I donā€™t like mill-uh. [name_f]Mila[/name_f] [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] would be a top 10 for me if not for popularity)
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] and [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] (I know 1 [name_f]Violet[/name_f] who is 6 and no girls named [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], and I canā€™t personally picture any on a grandma at the moment)
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] and [name_f]Iris[/name_f] (I love a good long ā€œIā€ sound. V and S are two of my favorite consonants as well, I think they have such softness to them but are spunky and lively)
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] (gosh, itā€™s a beautiful tree, a soft sound, has connections to magic and folklore. Iā€™ll give it to you, sometimes it can be difficult to pronounce, but itā€™s no worse than [name_u]Rory[/name_u] [which I also love])
[name_u]Parker[/name_u] (this is from a personal association. There was a girl in the dance competition circuit where I lived who passed away in 2017 after battling a rare form of cancer. I associate the name with a spunky, sassy, lively little girl who loved dance and the color purple)
[name_u]Piper[/name_u] (you either love it or not. It has a funky sound like that. I see so much life and spirit in this name though)

7 Likes

Haha so true! He be super dodge, hey! :joy::joy: [name_m]Zeus[/name_m] is definitely pet name only material.

7 Likes

@EJpuddlejumper yay! I found someone else who likes [name_m]Todd[/name_m]! I had it on my list for awhile! Such a happy sounding name!

2 Likes

I really donā€™t like [name_f]Violet[/name_f] or [name_f]Viola[/name_f] because to me they sound like Violate :persevere:

Iā€™m repulsed by [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] and I canā€™t believe itā€™s getting a second windā€¦

I remember thinking [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] was the worst name in the world when I read those books as a kid! [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] is growing on me though.

I canā€™t stand names that end is -iss, they just sound rude to me. [name_f]Katniss[/name_f], [name_f]Carys[/name_f] etc.

Oh and I will forever resent that [name_u]Avery[/name_u], [name_u]Emery[/name_u] and [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] have become girl names. Some unisex names I can handle but not these 3 for some reason.

Felt good to get that off my chest!

6 Likes

Thanks for ruining [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] for me :joy:

4 Likes
  • I dislike a large number of Nameberry favourites - [name_u]Wren[/name_u], [name_f]Margot[/name_f], [name_u]Scout[/name_u], [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], [name_u]Wolf[/name_u], [name_u]Fox[/name_u], [name_m]Bear[/name_m] etc. Theyā€™ve never been my style really, and I think with seeing them so often, I just grew tired of them :stuck_out_tongue:

• I adore unisex names, I donā€™t understand the mass dislike for them but that could be because I have a unisex first name myself, and know a lot of people who do.

• I canā€™t bring myself to like the name [name_m]Chester[/name_m] - all I hear is ā€œchest hairā€.

• I donā€™t think sibsets need to ā€œgoā€ together.

• I donā€™t think stealing a name is possible, because really, no one owns a name lol.

• I prefer [name_f]Esmae[/name_f] and [name_u]Neave[/name_u] to [name_f]Esme[/name_f] and [name_f]Niamh[/name_f].

• I love [name_f]Nevaeh[/name_f]. I donā€™t even care.

• [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Abigail[/name_f], [name_f]Emily[/name_f], [name_f]Sarah[/name_f], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Bethany[/name_f], [name_f]Megan[/name_f], [name_f]Jessica[/name_f], [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] - theyā€™re all stunning.

• Nicknames that arenā€™t obvious or related to the original name are a big pet peeve of mine. [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] nn [name_f]Poppy[/name_f], [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] nn [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], etc. [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] nn [name_f]Pippa[/name_f], etc. - I have an obsessive need for nicknames to be clearly connected.

Iā€™m sure I have more, but I usually keep them to myself though because Iā€™m always worried about upsetting someone - Iā€™m hypersensitive and I donā€™t want someone else to react then way I know I have in the past :joy:

13 Likes

Yeah, I agree. People go waaaay overboard about that.

3 Likes

I think itā€™s possible to copy someoneā€™s choice, but stealing is the wrong word to use I guess? :stuck_out_tongue: Also, Iā€™d be mad for a hot minute, but after a while, Iā€™d probably be over it. I canā€™t say for sure because Iā€™ve never experienced it myself, but I feel like thereā€™s bigger things for me to care about LOL. [name_f]My[/name_f] social anxietyā€™s bad enough, it doesnā€™t need the fear of stealing someoneā€™s name choice to add to it :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never been a big fan of overly fantastical names like [name_m]Endymion[/name_m], [name_f]Arwen[/name_f], [name_m]Cyprian[/name_m], or [name_m]Evander[/name_m]. They can work well as a middle but to name an actual child like a character out of a fantasy novel just seems really extreme to me?

On a similar note, actual fantasy/dystoptian YA novel names annoy me so much, but less so considering theyā€™re all fictional.

In general, I find that ā€œSouthernā€ baby names get a lot of hate (think [name_u]Abbot[/name_u], [name_u]Carlisle[/name_u], [name_u]Beau[/name_u], [name_f]Birdie[/name_f], [name_f]Georgia[/name_f], [name_f]Delilah[/name_f], [name_f]Mae[/name_f]ā€¦) but I think theyā€™re so sweet! If anything, they remind me an awful lot of the more British naming style due to the use of nicknames as real names, and sugarcoated names (if Brits can name a child [name_f]Kitty[/name_f] I think itā€™s okay to name your kid [name_f]Lula[/name_f]-[name_f]Mae[/name_f]).

16 Likes

[name_f]Mae[/name_f] is modern, fresh and beautiful.

Most people see it as a grandma name :cry:

15 Likes

Yes! I love [name_f]Mae[/name_f]/May too!

6 Likes

This cracked me up. I agree it could be a nice name if the origins of it werenā€™t so basic :joy:

4 Likes

@may.rose @EJpuddlejumper

I also adore [name_m]Todd[/name_m]!! thatā€™s a name you never see here or for kids anymore! :frowning:

2 Likes

Hmmā€¦ Iā€™ll probably comment again, but [name_f]Aster[/name_f], [name_m]Aston[/name_m], [name_u]Aspen[/name_u] and [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]. I think on paper these look nice and maybe thatā€™s why theyā€™re fairly well recieved on NB. but the emphasis on the first sound when said out loudā€¦ well Iā€™m not crazy about it

8 Likes

The origins donā€™t even bother me, to be honest :woman_shrugging:t3: I really love the name, S/O isnā€™t a fan though because our niece goes to school with a few lol.

2 Likes

also, I adore some of the ā€œtrendyā€, popular or non classic names berries tend to not like as much. Maebry, [name_u]Addison[/name_u], [name_f]Adalyn[/name_f], [name_u]Everly[/name_u], [name_u]Paisley[/name_u], [name_f]Aaliyah[/name_f], [name_f]Brynn[/name_f]/Brinley, etc

4 Likes

I think lots of the names topping the charts right now are lovely: [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Zoe[/name_f], [name_u]Liam[/name_u], [name_u]Noah[/name_u], [name_f]Mia[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_m]Elijah[/name_m], [name_m]Lucas[/name_m]ā€¦ the list goes on. The popularity doesnā€™t really dampen the appeal of these names for me.

7 Likes

Spanish names are more appealing than their Italian counterparts. I understand that theyā€™re often the same ([name_f]Rosa[/name_f], [name_f]Sofia[/name_f], [name_m]Federico[/name_m]), but when they are different, the Spanish version tends not to be as sweet sounding, less frilly, and zestier.

Alejandro vs [name_m]Alessandro[/name_m]
JosƩ vs [name_m]Giuseppe[/name_m]
[name_f]Roxana[/name_f] vs Rossana

2 Likes

Otis sounds like ā€œodorā€
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m] sounds like [name_f]Sesame[/name_f] [name_f]Street[/name_f]
I donā€™t like [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_f]Zoe[/name_f], [name_u]Sage[/name_u], [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], [name_u]Eden[/name_u] or [name_f]Elise[/name_f], but I still recommend them sometimes, because I understand the appeal.

I love the names [name_f]Linley[/name_f] and [name_u]Peyton[/name_u] for girls, even though they deny Nameberry principles.

I also like [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], even though theyā€™re so smart.

I donā€™t like [name_f]Irene[/name_f], and [name_f]Iris[/name_f] took me a long time to warm up to.

Other than that, I like most of the Nameberry ā€œclassicsā€

2 Likes

Also, I like the names [name_f]Luella[/name_f], [name_f]Jemima[/name_f], and [name_f]Tallulah[/name_f]. I know many people donā€™t like this Southern style, and when I asked my mother about [name_f]Luella[/name_f], she said [name_f]Luella[/name_f] would have raccoons and live in the woods. I didnā€™t even bother asking about the other two. I guess thatā€™s just personal taste.

4 Likes