Hot Takes? šŸ¤­

Iā€™m sooo in favor of more love for the spanish names! a lot of the french and irish names are lovely, but thereā€™s many I have trouble pronouncing correctly. I love [name_f]Rosa[/name_f], [name_f]Lucilla[/name_f], [name_f]Esperanza[/name_f], [name_f]Katalina[/name_f], [name_m]Emmanuel[/name_m], [name_m]Alejandro[/name_m], [name_m]Vicente[/name_m], [name_m]Fernando[/name_m]ā€¦ just to name a few! I donā€™t see them here very often.

5 Likes

Yes! I really love the virtue names.

Itā€™s also important to keep in mind the cultural context. [name_f]Dolores[/name_f], for example, literally means pains. Why would you want to name your child such a thing? But then realise that it refers to the pain [name_f]Mary[/name_f] felt for [name_m]Jesus[/name_m] as he was dying on the cross. The Spanish speaking world is very Catholic, additionally.

6 Likes

@GenEric interesting! I never put that together when it comes to [name_f]Dolores[/name_f]. I tend to care more about the sound of a name than its meaning or associations, and I totally resonated with what you said about the Spanish counterparts sounding less frilly and more zesty, which I love. that being said I can appreciate a great meaning/history when I stumble on it. I went back and looked at the meanings for the ones I listed, and theyā€™re all so positive! makes me like them even more.

THANK YOU. I was afraid I was the only one on NB who felt this way! :sweat_smile:

16 Likes

@leafsgirl44 I love hearing the name [name_f]Megan[/name_f] getting some love! Itā€™s my name, and Iā€™ve always thought it was under appreciated! While itā€™s not my personal naming style, I do really love it!

5 Likes

Theo/Leo/Matteo is the new [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] & [name_u]Jayden[/name_u] & [name_u]Brayden[/name_u]

Lemon is a name for a dog or guinea pig. I know dog names are in right now but. At this point Iā€™m thinkin [name_m]Spike[/name_m] is a little better than some of these crazy pet names like [name_u]Rocket[/name_u] and [name_m]Buddy[/name_m] [name_m]Bear[/name_m].

7 Likes

If I suffer, we all suffer :rofl:

1 Like

This thread is giving me life :joy:

There are some names I would just LOVE to change the pronunciation of:

For example:

[name_m]Zachary[/name_m]: zach-ARI
[name_u]Thaddeus[/name_u]: THAY-dee-us
[name_f]Cassia[/name_f]: cass-ee-ah (not as unusual as people are already opting for this pronunciation)
[name_f]Carys[/name_f]: care-REES
[name_m]Joaquin[/name_m]: joe-quinn (ok this one feels a little blasphemous)

There are more but Iā€™ll have to add them as I think of them.

Thought of some moreā€¦

Ophelia I would like to be oh-FELL-ia
Cressida I would like to be cre-SEED-ah

3 Likes

I have an aversion to certain sounds which means certain popular names on here are like nails on a blackboard to me.

Pretty much anything with br, gr or gw in it makes me shudder. Though I donā€™t mind [name_f]Grace[/name_f]. Thatā€™s an exception, for some reason.

1 Like

Last one: I really dislike the use of words like ā€œtrashyā€ or ā€œstripperā€ to describe a name. Thereā€™s definitely personal reasons for it, but it bothers me much more than it should :woman_shrugging:t3:

51 Likes

NB needs to give more love to international baby names. I LOVE Spanish/Italian/Hebrew names ([name_f]Paloma[/name_f], [name_f]Doveva[/name_f], [name_f]Elisheva[/name_f], [name_f]Ludovica[/name_f]) etc.
I feel like vintage [name_f]English[/name_f] names are way to overused on here (I know I donā€™t help, because I do like these names myself), but thereā€™s so many more names to explore and suggest/use!

Also I should mention that I probably wouldnā€™t use these names, but itā€™s nice to have them in my lists.
I think itā€™s pretty common to use certain names from other cultures (Sara, Niamh, Svetlana, Zara etc) and are ones people use all the time even though theyā€™re not part of that particular culture.
Itā€™s a tricky thing to figure out sometimes and knowing what would be considered offensive and what wouldnā€™tā€¦

14 Likes

I, too, am guilty of this, but I definitely agree! (I love seeing Romilia and [name_f]Fiora[/name_f] in your user card because those are two long-time loves of mine, and itā€™s rare I find others who like them.)

1 Like

I donā€™t like the sound or look of [name_u]Riley[/name_u]. For either gender.

I hate [name_u]Kennedy[/name_u] for a girl.

9 Likes

Another thing: it gets me worked up when people use a name very distinct to a culture for their own child, and have no ties to the culture. Itā€™s different when the name is either multicultural or part of their religion, but using names from other cultures just doesnā€™t sit right with me.

9 Likes

yesssss

1 Like

Yes. [name_m]Walter[/name_m] just sounds like [name_m]Wall[/name_m] and Walnut.

1 Like

I also love virtue names!!

2 Likes

I kind of like the name [name_f]Moon[/name_f] Unit :speak_no_evil:

7 Likes

I just canā€™t warm to these names: [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] (specifically, the [name_f]English[/name_f] pronunciation), [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], [name_f]Edith[/name_f], [name_f]Agnes[/name_f], [name_f]Jemima[/name_f], [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], [name_f]Astrid[/name_f], [name_u]Scout[/name_u], [name_m]Walter[/name_m], [name_m]Dashiell[/name_m], [name_m]Albert[/name_m], [name_m]Frederick[/name_m].

Iā€™m not really a fan of unintuitive nicknames, especially if the ā€œnicknameā€ is actually an established name in its own right.

I donā€™t think popularity is such a big deal, since fewer babies receive popular names nowadays than in the past.

I do wish there was less of a focus on classic [name_f]English[/name_f] and American names on Nameberry. As someone who is a bit jaded with those names, it would be interesting to see a greater variety of names being featured and talked about, though I understand that lack of familiarity is often a barrier.

8 Likes

Iā€™m really not a fan of [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Eva[/name_f]/Eve, [name_f]Claudia[/name_f], [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], [name_u]June[/name_u]/Juno, [name_u]Milo[/name_u], and [name_m]Hugo[/name_m].

2 Likes