Hot Takes? šŸ¤­

Unpopular opinions about names? Drop them here!

18 Likes

[name_u]Lennon[/name_u] is awful and itā€™s even more awful to name your child after [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_u]Lennon[/name_u] considering heā€™s been outed as a woman beater and racist :grimacing:

61 Likes

No offense to anyone who loves/has these names!

Unpopular likes:
[name_f]Laura[/name_f] - I feel like no one likes [name_f]Laura[/name_f]! It makes me so sad, because I think itā€™s just the sweetest!

[name_f]Emma[/name_f] - I do think most people like [name_f]Emma[/name_f], itā€™s just not praised by Berries bc itā€™s so popular.

Unpopular dislikes:
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] - These seem to be the Three Musketeers of nameberry, and I honestly donā€™t care much for any of them! ([name_u]Laurence[/name_u] would be my favorite of the three.)

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] and [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] - neither of these appeal to me, and thatā€™s coming from someone who usually likes ā€œgrandma namesā€!

17 Likes

:smile: Isnā€™t that the truth! I actually happen to love all three, but itā€™s still funny to me.
And, by the way, not a huge fan of [name_f]Violet[/name_f] and [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] either. I like them for other people, and I think they do sound cute together, but they are definitely not for me!

I think I share the unpopular love for [name_f]Emma[/name_f]. I know itā€™s super common, but itā€™s such a lovely name!

12 Likes

Unpopular opinion: [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] and [name_f]Iris[/name_f] are the worst floral names, and I do not get everyoneā€™s obsession with them! :joy::flushed:

30 Likes

I am an [name_f]Emma[/name_f] (its height of popularity here in [name_f]England[/name_f] was the 90s, though it has clung on), at least it was always on a keychain.

I think similar to the [name_u]Lennon[/name_u] answer, Iā€™m wary of naming a kid after anyone who has a significant hold on a name - [name_u]Bowie[/name_u], [name_m]Beckham[/name_m] etc. in case they turn out to be terrible but maybe thatā€™s my pessimism speaking. Regardless of personal style, it could get old (same as naming your kid after a TV character who turned out to be awful or what have you).

14 Likes

Iā€™m the same with [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] and [name_f]Violet[/name_f].

Unpopular likes:
[name_f]Laura[/name_f]: @may.rose I agree with her. I like [name_f]Laura[/name_f] but it seems like no one else does.
[name_f]Roxanne[/name_f]: This is very guilty pleasure of mine since thereā€™s been 2 songs about this name, [name_f]Roxanne[/name_f] abd [name_f]Roxanne[/name_f] [name_f]Roxanne[/name_f]
[name_f]Beth[/name_f]: I wish more people would use this name more often.

Unpopular dislikes:
[name_u]James[/name_u]/Elliot/ECT on girls: Itā€™s just a trend that Iā€™m mostly tired with. Especially [name_u]James[/name_u]
[name_f]Mia[/name_f]/Mila: I never got the appeal of these names
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m]: Iā€™m just tired of this name, I donā€™t see the appeal of it anymore.
[name_u]Grayson[/name_u]: [name_m]Just[/name_m] like [name_m]Oliver[/name_m]

12 Likes

Iā€™m with you! [name_f]Roxanne[/name_f] is lovely, I especially love the [name_u]French[/name_u] spelling [name_f]Roxane[/name_f] :black_heart:

4 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] hot takeā€¦ brace yourselvesā€¦

I much prefer [name_f]Neve[/name_f] to [name_f]Niamh[/name_f] :open_mouth:

19 Likes

Lots of people love them, but I really donā€™t like [name_u]Camille[/name_u], [name_f]Camilla[/name_f], [name_f]Camila[/name_f], [name_f]Camellia[/name_f] or [name_f]Mila[/name_f]. I donā€™t know why, but if there was one set of names I really donā€™t like, itā€™s these ones.

16 Likes

I know a lot of babies named [name_f]Agnes[/name_f] or [name_f]Agatha[/name_f]! It seems to be getting popular again, but itā€™s just not for me.

16 Likes

Some ā€œclassic berryā€ names I simply donā€™t see the appeal in :woman_shrugging:

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] (not even [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_u]Robbie[/name_u] could save this name for me)
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] (has ā€˜weesā€™ in it)
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] (absolutely HORRIBLE to me, sounds like some kind of gassy root vegetable)
[name_u]Wyatt[/name_u] (I justā€¦ donā€™t understand this name lol)

16 Likes

Names like [name_u]Parker[/name_u], [name_u]Carter[/name_u] and [name_u]James[/name_u] on girls are horrible.

28 Likes

I really donā€™t like [name_u]Everly[/name_u], [name_u]Blakely[/name_u], [name_f]Mila[/name_f], and [name_f]Nora[/name_f].

13 Likes

I do not like these names:

for girls:
[name_u]Everly[/name_u], [name_u]Blake[/name_u], [name_u]Blakely[/name_u], [name_f]Mila[/name_f]( I just see Mill. I say Mill-a. but I love [name_f]Myla[/name_f]!!), [name_f]Katharine[/name_f] (I really donā€™t like this spelling), [name_f]Christine[/name_f]/Christina/Christie, [name_u]Kennedy[/name_u] (WHY! [name_m]Just[/name_m] use it for a boy), [name_u]Quinn[/name_u] (I only like this for a boy), [name_u]Tristan[/name_u], [name_u]Carmen[/name_u]/Carmella/Carmelita, [name_f]Olive[/name_f], [name_u]Holly[/name_u], [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f].

for boys:
[name_u]Tanner[/name_u] (I do not like the sound, look, or associations at all), [name_m]Theodore[/name_m](just boring), [name_m]Albert[/name_m], [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] (alfalfa and alfredo), [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], [name_u]Kris[/name_u]/Kristopher, [name_m]Aaron[/name_m], [name_m]Arnold[/name_m], [name_m]Walter[/name_m] ( I just hear, wall and walnut), [name_m]Carl[/name_m], [name_m]Carlos[/name_m], [name_m]Leo[/name_m] (boring and just I donā€™t really care about it.)

no offense to anyone with these names!

and the ones I like but many donā€™t:

for girls:
[name_u]Peregrine[/name_u], [name_u]Willoughby[/name_u], [name_f]Emma[/name_f] (so beautiful), [name_f]Ava[/name_f] (I love the sound itā€™s really pretty), [name_f]Karen[/name_f]/Karin/Karina, [name_f]Georgia[/name_f], [name_f]Bess[/name_f]/Betsy, [name_f]Nancy[/name_f], [name_f]Hope[/name_f](SO BEAUTIFUL), [name_f]Grace[/name_f] (most people just are indifferent but i loooooooooooove [name_f]Grace[/name_f]), [name_u]Parker[/name_u], [name_u]Porter[/name_u]

for boys:
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u] (yes, really), [name_u]Rhian[/name_u] ([name_f]Ree[/name_f]-un SOOO HANDSOME), [name_u]Shannon[/name_u], [name_u]Stanley[/name_u], [name_m]Todd[/name_m], [name_m]Chester[/name_m] (CHESS!)

again, no offense intended to anyone who loves or has these names!!

7 Likes

I love a good made up name. Idyllie? Kataria? Elala? Imogenoveva? Soleia? Solie? [name_f]Siddalee[/name_f]? Maribyrd? Literally yes. Y e s. Yes. Iā€™ll extend that to a good creative spelling also: Iā€™m obsessed with Maerie and Ellawyn, but dislike [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], always prefer [name_f]Cecelia[/name_f] to [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], I could be here all day. I love an honest-to-God unwearable nickname. Chippy and [name_f]Bizzy[/name_f] are my pedestal names, all gold & untouchable. [name_m]Iggy[/name_m]? [name_f]Midge[/name_f]? [name_f]Gidget[/name_f]? Hazza? I mean coooomme on :heart_eyes:

For boyā€™s, specifically, Iā€™m like basically gender neutral or bust which is totally not a well-supported style in the real world. [name_u]Piper[/name_u] and [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] (and [name_f]Elly[/name_f], [name_u]Harper[/name_u], [name_u]Indiana[/name_u], [name_u]Arden[/name_u], Hollayā€¦) get me every single time; I love them so much, but only for boys.

13 Likes

also [name_u]Robin[/name_u]. I donā€™t like [name_u]Robin[/name_u] or [name_f]Robyn[/name_f] for a girl. I LOVE it for a boy tho! Same with [name_u]Piper[/name_u].

7 Likes

Yay! Someone else who likes [name_f]Bess[/name_f]/Betsy! And you can also join the fan club for [name_f]Emma[/name_f]. :wink:

Also, I too dislike [name_u]Robin[/name_u] for a girl but love it for a boy.

4 Likes

Sophie [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_f]Sofia[/name_f] [name_f]Sofie[/name_f] are sooooooo overused. Like every fifth person I meet is one of those.

14 Likes

agree! [name_f]Agnes[/name_f] and [name_f]Agatha[/name_f] sound so harsh to me.

6 Likes