Hot Takes? đŸ€­

I agree completely!

I want to read it lol

Please link the thread

I have a (French) Camille Charles Theo (ka-MEE sharl teh-O) in my family tree and it’s one of my favourite names on there :orange_heart:

2 Likes

The short, O-ending boys’ names like [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], [name_u]Milo[/name_u], [name_u]Arlo[/name_u], [name_m]Elio[/name_m], [name_m]Otto[/name_m] don’t really appeal to me :grimacing:

(with the exceptions of [name_u]Leo[/name_u] and Gio)

5 Likes

I know the order of this doesn’t make any sense, but this is what I think:

[name_u]Angel[/name_u] > [name_f]Angelica[/name_f] > [name_f]Angelina[/name_f] > [name_f]Angeline[/name_f] > [name_u]Angie[/name_u] > [name_f]Angela[/name_f] > [name_f]Angelic[/name_f]

3 Likes

I hope it’s not one of my threads.

No don’t worry it wasn’t you :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@leafygreens
Oh ik what you mean lol

Lemme see if I can find it

1 Like

This has been on my mind for a while, but I have been busy and haven’t been able to post it here until now. This may seem like common sense to many, but I’ll say it anyway.

When you make a post and someone responds, please don’t assume they are offended by it and everything else under the sun. They may be giving you a perspective you may not have thought of or some facts related to what you stated. It doesn’t mean they are offended or are attacking you and your opinions, but they may be trying to give you something to consider that may or may not add to your opinions. That one response may make all the difference to someone else though.

Remember to treat people with consideration and politeness. Do not attack people in response to their replies. We are all human beings and our differences make us as much as our similarities do. The anonymity of the internet should not change that.

15 Likes

Same. I kind of like LĂ©o, and Hugo has some personal significance to me, but in general
 I don’t feel it.

3 Likes

This has been said before, but I’ll say it again: if you want to use a name from a culture or language you’re not very familiar with, please do your research on things like meaning, pronunciation and usage. It’s a matter of respect. Make the effort. A pronunciation doesn’t change because you like another one better.

And another one: I’ve never really understood using a name to honor someone “because it sounds similar”. If that works for you, that’s obviously fine, but it wouldn’t work for me. I’d either go with the actual name or a variation, or something else completely that has special significance, like I did with Zakynthos.

23 Likes

!!! Yes

For example I go by Laurie. If my hypothetical grandchild was named Emery after me because they both end in ree I’d probably be like “okay? I guess” lol

3 Likes

I do agree IF the name is completely foreign to your country, however, especially in Europe there are many names that have crossed (many) borders and have been used in others countries for many years with a pronunciation that fit the country’s language patterns.
Nikolai or Amelie would be examples of that when looking at their usage in Germany. The emphasis of both names shifted and became closer to the pattern of similar names that had been in usage at the time, such as Nikolas or Emily.
Families which speak either French or Russian would probably use the native pronunciation of these names at home, however, many people who have those names or gave those names to their children switch to the German-ised pronunciation when speaking German.
It’s not that they think enforcing the pronunciation would be bothersome, no, they like both pronunciations int heir respective languages.

However, when you start using a name that doesn’t already have a common pronunciation in the country you live in, I do think it makes the most sense to turn to the language of origin and go from there. Especially if the names are from a different culture and you have no connections to it.

Still, I’m a little more lenient when you use a pronunciation that may not sound the same as the original language but which makes sense within the language you’re using it in, say using French Florine but pronouncing it FLAW-reen rather than flo-REEN. Or not rolling the R in Orfeo or pronouncing Gianna as gee-Ah-na.

What I don’t like is when people take pronunciation-changing accent marks that are not native to their language and the start pronouncing them differently than they’re pronounced in their language of origin (still looking at EsmĂ© here).

So tldr:

1. using pronunciation already established in your country (even if it differs from original pronunciation) - :ballot_box_with_check:
  2. using a pronunciation that makes sense for the language you’re speaking (Esme or even EsmĂ© as ES-mee) - :ballot_box_with_check:
  3. using non-existent/nonsensical pronunciation in either the native or the usage language - :x:
13 Likes

I agree, but in that case I wouldn’t consider the name to be “from a different culture” because if it’s used regularly, it becomes part of your own culture in a way, even if it has a different origin.

3 Likes

That’s definitely true. In that case i was thinking more along the lines of using Korean names (without a Korea connection) in Australia, for example. It’s best to just use the Korean pronunciation then or at least one that would make sense in [name_f]English[/name_f]. A total no-go for me would be using the french pronunciation of a Korean name in Australia just because you think it’s prettier.

2 Likes

I LOVE the longer ones (Zephiro, Prospero, Othello, Leonardo, Santiago, literally half my of list), but the shorter ones don’t appeal to me either. I like a few but it’s a rare sight

3 Likes

Especially since -ette is a common feminization. Think [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f], [name_f]Harriet[/name_f], [name_f]Paulette[/name_f], etc.

2 Likes

Yes exactly! So [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] and [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] both have traditionally feminine beginnings (Em- and Ell-) AND endings (-ette sounding). I have no clue how they ended up being predominantly male names.

2 Likes

I think anything can be an honour for other people, however, when people ask “can [name_f]Lola[/name_f] be an honour name for Charlotte” in the polls thread, I always vote “no”. Because of course it can be an honour name if you see a connection between the names, if every time you say [name_f]Lola[/name_f] you think of [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. But then anything works as an honour name, you could use [name_f]Emily[/name_f], if that makes you think of [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f].

To be honest, I’d even say [name_u]Ryan[/name_u] and [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] are only very personal honour names, rather that ones that would work for everyone wanting to honour a [name_u]Ryan[/name_u]. It’s not a connection that would be clear to others, really.
I feel like one needs to decide if they want to honour someone for themselves (wanting to make yourself think of that person) or wanting the person you’re honouring to know that you’re naming your kid after them.
In the latter case I feel similar to @ethelmary, if someone wanted to honour me and wanted me to know about the honour, picking [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] because it shares the [name_m]Ol[/name_m] sound or [name_u]Perry[/name_u] because it shares the P and Y, I’d just feel like they were looking for a connection in their preferred name (which is totally fine, no one expects to be honoured in a name - I’d rather them pick a name they love or ask me how I’d like to be honoured if there is no clear connection to my person).

6 Likes

I feel the same way about [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] and [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]. I like [name_f]Elise[/name_f] and [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] slightly more but overall those sounds just don’t do it for me!

I do like [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] (and Theodora) but I would probably not use these names for my own children.

1 Like