Hot Takes? 🤭

Yes! I remember that wee drama with r/namenerds - I totally forgot that happened! :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

i don’t know if i necessarily agree with this one?

sure, you could say “oh, (name A) is lovely because (specific compliment)” but i feel like saying that “oh i love (positive attribute) about (name A), and while (name B) is nice i think that e.g. it feels a little dated, it doesn’t go as well with the siblings’ names, it sounds similar to an unfortunate word, it has a confusing spelling etc etc etc.”, i think that’s a more honest and more importantly a more constructive response than not saying anything about the name you like less. if people thought there was a big drawback with a name i was seriously considering for a child, i’d like to know about it :woman_shrugging: obviously not in a super harsh manner, in an informative manner

26 Likes

[name_u]Beau[/name_u] is not a girls’ name. I know that technically it’s used as a unisex name (in some areas), but it’s grammatically masculine and seeing it on a girl annoys me.

It’s just a personal pet peeve though :sweat_smile:

19 Likes

Does the “Bo” spelling make it better?

1 Like

[name_u]Bo[/name_u] does seem more feminine to me than [name_u]Beau[/name_u], but my first thought would still be that it’s male because of the Scandinavian male name [name_u]Bo[/name_u]. I’m aware that [name_u]Bo[/name_u] is used for both boys and girls in [name_u]Sweden[/name_u], [name_m]Denmark[/name_m] and Norway, although it’s more common for boys. Anyway, with the spelling [name_u]Bo[/name_u] it doesn’t bother me :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Not sure how hot a take this is, but I’m so not into the H- Greek names in comparison to their Greek counterparts.

[name_m]Hermes[/name_m] < [name_m]Ermes[/name_m]
[name_u]Hero[/name_u] < Ero
[name_m]Heracles[/name_m] < Eracles
[name_f]Hestia[/name_f] < Estia etc. etc.!

Some exceptions do exist, because I love [name_u]Hyacinth[/name_u] and I like [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] just as much as Ermione, but overall it’s a :-1: from me

4 Likes

[name_f]Augusta[/name_f], [name_f]Agustina[/name_f], and [name_f]Augustina[/name_f] > any masculine version of the name

12 Likes

august (g) > any other variation of the name

8 Likes

And to add to this~

Literally any [name_u]August[/name_u] name >>>>>>>>>>>> [name_u]Gus[/name_u]

17 Likes

my turn!
augie >>> gus
as a nickname to any august-related name

12 Likes

yes! and augie > auggie

4 Likes

I don’t like [name_f]Lara[/name_f], it’s like the aaaaa sound makes it sound so harsh. [name_f]Laura[/name_f] is pretty though.

6 Likes

Agreed! Problem is, Laura’s been a long time favorite of mine & my in-laws pronounce it Larrrrrra because that how some great-aunt has always pronounced it. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband says [name_f]Laura[/name_f] & [name_f]Lara[/name_f] interchangeably. Not sure if I’ll ever get to use [name_f]Laura[/name_f] :sob:

3 Likes

Oh, I get that! When people pronounce [name_u]Lauren[/name_u] and [name_f]Laura[/name_f] as Laaaaren and Laaara it just kinda gets on my nerves. I understand that’s some people’s favorite or default pronunciation but in my opinion, the “lore” pronunciation is much prettier!

4 Likes

Hot take: I don’t think Renesemee is the worst name ever. I wouldn’t name my child that, but it gets more hate than it deserves. Plus the nickname [name_f]Nessie[/name_f] is cute. I think [name_f]Renesmee[/name_f] falls into the same category as [name_f]Hermione[/name_f], [name_f]Khaleesi[/name_f], [name_f]Daenerys[/name_f], and [name_f]Katniss[/name_f]. Authors make up names for characters all the time (Example: Wendy). I think if another author/movie had invented the name [name_f]Renesmee[/name_f], it wouldn’t get as much hate as it does.

Side note: [name_u]Edward[/name_u] and [name_f]Bella[/name_f] should have named their daughter [name_f]Melody[/name_f] because they both loved music. It was right there!

7 Likes

I actually agree! [name_f]Renesmee[/name_f] isn’t that bad lol. I think it’s a bit cheesy but the sound isn’t awful. It probably gets more hate than it deserves just because it’s [name_u]Twilight[/name_u] haha.

I will correct you though, [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] isn’t a made-up name. It’s a Greek name that’s been around for thousands of years!

7 Likes

Oh I know [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] wasn’t made up by JK Rowling. I was more meaning that the name was made popular by a character in a book/movie.

4 Likes

I’m going to agree with you. Personally, it’s not my favourite name and I don’t really like it, but it’s not that bad, and [name_f]Nessie[/name_f] is cute.
And [name_f]Melody[/name_f] is such a good idea! Now I’m never going to be able to read about [name_f]Renesmee[/name_f] again without wishing she was named [name_f]Melody[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_f]Belphoebe[/name_f] agrees with you! :wink:

8 Likes

[name_f]Ursa[/name_f] on a boy has all the amazing qualities of [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] with a sweet forest vibe ++ some sparkle. :teddy_bear::evergreen_tree:

11 Likes