Hot Takes? šŸ¤­

I think it is kind of a cute nickname for a small child. Anything other than that, I agree.

3 Likes

Totally agree about [name_u]Cricket[/name_u]. I used to live in a basement apartment that would get infested with crickets in the summertime. I donā€™t usually get squeamish about bugs, but crickets are so gross. Worse than spiders, because they can JUMP away from you. Clearly the people who love [name_u]Cricket[/name_u] as a name have never had to strategically place cricket-smushing shoes all around their apartment :neutral_face: or try to clean smushed cricket goop out of the carpet :nauseated_face: or have a cricket land them while in the shower :face_vomiting:

6 Likes

I like the sound of it, it sounds pleasing to my ears. But i agree, I couldnā€™t name my child after a bug

7 Likes

I know more than one [name_u]Cricket[/name_u]! One of them is an adult, and she wears it very well. It originally was her childhood nickname, but she always exclusively went by it, and still does now that sheā€™s grown! She may have even had it legally changed, but Iā€™m not sure!!

I wouldnā€™t personally use [name_u]Cricket[/name_u] as a full first name, but I do think it makes a cute nickname! I think it fits right in with all of the other sweet, quirky, unusual nature names that are being used right now. I can say why some people would not want to name their child after a bug, though :sweat_smile:

I think my view is different too because Iā€™m always around so many people with names similar to [name_u]Cricket[/name_u] (some chosen, some not), so it doesnā€™t feel as strange to me. Also, as someone who is terrified by almost all bugs, I do happen to like crickets! we also get a lot of them where I live, and theyā€™re one of the only ones that Iā€™ll catch in something and put them back outside because I feel bad killing them :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

I love [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and [name_f]Jessica[/name_f]. Many people probably think they are boring or dislike them because of some reasons. But I genuinely like [name_f]Jessica[/name_f]. And [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] is definitely in my list of a name I would actually use on a child.

12 Likes

i agree. olivia is so gorgeous, sparkly, and vibrant!!

9 Likes

I donā€™t get the hype for Eliana. I knew an Eliana in school who I throughly disliked so that could be it but Iā€™m not so sure.

I also feel as though I couldnā€™t give my child a first name like Shepherd, Orchard, Witterie, Quill etc although I love them as middle names.

Ramona still feels like a middle aged woman to me and although Iā€™ve never hated it, I canā€™t seem to find a way to like it.

I love the idea of naming my kids after my music idols like Stevie (Stevie Nicks), Styles or Harry (Harry Styles), Luke (Luke Hemmings), Billie or Eilish (Billie Eilish), Bjƶrk (Bjƶrk GuĆ°mundsdĆ³ttir)

5 Likes

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] - I just donā€™t get the appeal of this name. Idk if thatā€™s my personal bias, but to me it sounds very nerdy, immature and unattractive :woman_shrugging: Iā€™ll not even get started on [name_f]Theodora[/name_f] :joy:

[name_f]Octavia[/name_f] - I see so many people suggest this name. It canā€™t get much more unnatractive than this, honestly. Iā€™d hate to come into this planet just to find out that Iā€™ll have to experience life as someone named [name_f]Octavia[/name_f].

[name_f]Beth[/name_f] - Someone said they think this is underused and theyā€™re totally right! This is a very cozy, elegant and sweet name, and it has a classic feel to it. We should suggest it more.

3 Likes

I agree with you on [name_f]Octavia[/name_f], it always reminds me of an octogon or an octupus. And youā€™re right, [name_f]Beth[/name_f] is sooo underused. Itā€™s definitely a sweet and cozy name. I love it as a first or middle and itā€™s my favorite nickname for [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f].

Iā€™ve always been sort of on the fence with [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] but I do prefer it as a middle.

2 Likes

I donā€™t like [name_f]Julia[/name_f] or [name_u]Elijah[/name_u].

1 Like

On Beth: I was actually really shocked recently to see so much love for it! I donā€™t hate it, but I really didnā€™t expect it to be so well-loved on Nameberry as a nickname for Elizabeth. Itā€™s quite middle-aged to me, but itā€™s not bad. I just like Lizzy & Lily a lot more as nns!

12 Likes

Re: Beth

I would guess that this is due, at least in part, to the significant number of Little Women fans among the Berries. :upside_down_face:

11 Likes

Thatā€™s so interesting! I love hearing other peopleā€™s perceptions on the ages of names, especially internationally. Beth was one of the most common girlā€™s name in my school year group, I think there were about 5 (usually short for Bethany not Elizabeth), so I definitely see it as a name for Gen Z and milennials more than any other group.

5 Likes

respectfully, im the complete opposite :sob: i LOVE the names theodore & octavia, always have, always will, but i donā€™t like beth that much, it feels plain and outdated

8 Likes

Youā€™re right, and itā€™s so ridiculous. [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] is my dadā€™s name so I already giggle a little whenever I see a little girl named this (itā€™s a quite elegant and masculine name to me), but ā€œEmersynā€ is just straight up nonsense. And it seems like itā€™s ā€œtrendyā€ to spell names with as many Ys as possible recently lol.

3 Likes

I canā€™t agree with you on [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] (I love the name!), but [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] and [name_f]Beth[/name_f] both seem outdated and unappealing to me!

2 Likes

Yeah, Emerson and Emory are both all boy to me, never got the appeal of giving them to girls.

Then again, this is coming from someone who wants to name a daughter Stellan, so, those who live in glass housesā€¦ lol :face_with_peeking_eye:

8 Likes

I agree with all of that!

1 Like

Me too! [name_f]Beth[/name_f] is okay and very sweet, but [name_f]Lizzy[/name_f] will always be in my heart.

3 Likes

I donā€™t like [name_u]Harper[/name_u] :grimacing: It reminds me of the phrase ā€œharping on about somethingā€

5 Likes