How BAD is Charlie Brown?

We both love the name [name]Charlie[/name] for especially for a boy as we can’t seem to come up with much…

My DP reckons we can’t use it because of the association with the character but i’m wondering if this younger generation that we are naming now would even know who [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Brown[/name] is?

What do you think?

I actually know a [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Brown[/name]! He was born before the Peanuts, so it was just an unfortunate coincidence. He did get an awful lot of jokes about it. [name]Charlie[/name] is an adorable name, but I think you should probably pass on it.

I have a lot of instant associations with the name [name]Charlie[/name], and [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Brown[/name] is WAAAAAAY down the list.

But [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Brown[/name] as an actual, full name… yes, that’s pretty bad. There’s something better out there for you!

I think i forgot to mention that our last name is [name]Brown[/name] so bub would be [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Brown[/name]…!

I know 2–a man and a woman–and they have survived just fine. It certainly isn’t a bad connotation!

I think you can’t use it. Everybody knows [name]Charlie[/name] brown and the name would be a joke. We will help you find something much much better! (not [name]James[/name] )

Yeah, [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Brown[/name] is an icon and has been for a long time. He’s not going away anytime soon, and yes, kids know who [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Brown[/name] is. I think most people who heard his name would wonder, if your last name is [name]Brown[/name], why would you name your kid [name]Charlie[/name] out of all the many hundreds of options out there?

We can certainly help you come up with a better option! Maybe give us an idea of your style and some other names you like?

Kids today DEFINITELY know who [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Brown[/name] is. They still run the [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Brown[/name] holiday specials on network TV (halloween, Thanksgiving, [name]Christmas[/name], etc)…my 2 yr old daughter and her nephews are obsessed with watching them. My 5 year old nephew was [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Brown[/name] for halloween. He has a [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Brown[/name] lunchbox, as well. The cartoon is a classic and I don’t think it will ever “go away”. I consider [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Brown[/name] unusable. I love the names [name]Charlie[/name], [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Linus[/name], etc – but when you add in your surname, [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Brown[/name] is [name]WAY[/name] too much in my opinion. It is not a bad association at all, but it is a strong one in my opinion. I can’t say that I would enjoy dealing with my name being [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Brown[/name] – I think I would grow tired of all the comments and potential teasing.

I agree with a PP that this isn’t a negative association, but it’s definitely strong enough that you should pass on the name, [name]IMO[/name]. Good luck!

I hate it when a favorite name doesn’t work with the last name! :frowning: We have a problematic last name that limits our first name choices.

I instantly thought of the quote from one of the holiday specials, “Of all the [name]Charlie[/name] Browns in the world, you’re the [name]Charlie[/name] Browniest.”

I REALLY think your child would constantly hear comments and get joked about “[name]Charlie[/name] [name]Brown[/name]”, not only from kids but from well-intentioned adults.

Sorry! I’m sure you’ll find something great if you decide against [name]Charlie[/name]…

While I do love the name [name]Charles[/name] and nickname [name]Charlie[/name], I do agree with [name]Pam[/name] and others that it would be kind of a joke and you shouldn’t use it. Other options you might like:

[name]Henry[/name] [name]Brown[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name] “[name]Teddy[/name]” [name]Brown[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name] “[name]Freddie[/name]” [name]Brown[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name] “[name]Nate[/name]” [name]Brown[/name]
[name]William[/name] “[name]Will[/name]” [name]Brown[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] “[name]Ollie[/name]” [name]Brown[/name]
[name]Peter[/name] [name]Brown[/name]
[name]Leo[/name] [name]Brown[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name] [name]Brown[/name]
[name]Rufus[/name] [name]Brown[/name]
[name]Christopher[/name] “[name]Kit[/name]” [name]Brown[/name]
[name]Edward[/name] “[name]Teddy[/name]” [name]Brown[/name] or [name]Edward[/name] “[name]Ned[/name]” [name]Brown[/name]

I know a [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Brown[/name] and, while I’ve never actually made a joke about his name, it’s always secretly amused me. But I know many other people aren’t quite so polite and make a lot of jokes/comments about it. A lifetime of that would be incredibly annoying!

Sorry, but I consider it unusable. It’s too bad, [name]Charlie[/name] is a great name.

Thanks everyone… i guess i’ll have to give it a miss :frowning:

The only other name we can agree on for a boy is [name]Jett[/name] but i’m not convinced that [name]Jett[/name] [name]Brown[/name] doesn’t sound funny either!

Our son is [name]Logan[/name] [name]Jay[/name] so we need a name that compliments that… we both like trendy but not overused names…

Okay, trendy but not overused:

What about:

[name]Logan[/name] & [name]Beckett[/name] (I love this!)

[name]Logan[/name] & [name]Finn[/name]

[name]Logan[/name] & [name]Cooper[/name]

[name]Logan[/name] & [name]Elliott[/name] (I think [name]Logan[/name] and [name]Elliott[/name] sound nice together. I like it :slight_smile: )

[name]Logan[/name] & [name]Everett[/name]

[name]Logan[/name] & [name]Asher[/name]

[name]Logan[/name] & [name]Eli[/name]

[name]Logan[/name] & [name]Dashiell[/name] (nickname [name]Dash[/name])

[name]Logan[/name] & [name]Atticus[/name] (nickname [name]Ace[/name]) (I love [name]Atticus[/name], and [name]Ace[/name] is a cool nickname)

[name]Logan[/name] & [name]Miles[/name] ([name]Logan[/name] and [name]Miles[/name] sound very cool together)

[name]Logan[/name] & [name]Caleb[/name] (nickname [name]Cale[/name])

[name]Logan[/name] & [name]Anderson[/name]

[name]Logan[/name] & [name]Ezra[/name]

[name]Logan[/name] & [name]Grayson[/name] or [name]Greyson[/name] (nickname [name]Gray[/name] or [name]Grey[/name])

[name]Logan[/name] & [name]Gabriel[/name] (nickname [name]Gabe[/name])

[name]Logan[/name] & [name]Harrison[/name]

[name]Logan[/name] & [name]Hunter[/name]

[name]Logan[/name] & [name]Blaise[/name] (I love this, too)

[name]Logan[/name] & [name]August[/name] (Nicknames [name]Ace[/name], [name]Gus[/name])

[name]Logan[/name] & [name]Maxwell[/name] (nickname [name]Max[/name])

[name]Logan[/name] & [name]Julian[/name]

[name]Logan[/name] & [name]Sawyer[/name] (this is a really good match. [name]LOVE[/name] these two together)

[name]Logan[/name] & [name]Walker[/name]

[name]Logan[/name] & [name]Wyatt[/name] (love it, very masculine)

[name]Logan[/name] & [name]Quentin[/name]

[name]Logan[/name] & [name]Jackson[/name]

Not sure if you want another “L” name but if you do:

[name]Logan[/name] & [name]Levi[/name]

[name]Logan[/name] & [name]Lucas[/name]

[name]Logan[/name] & [name]Liam[/name]

My favorites for you are: [name]Beckett[/name], [name]Sawyer[/name], [name]Wyatt[/name], [name]Asher[/name], [name]Miles[/name], [name]Elliott[/name], and [name]Gabriel[/name]. All of these are somewhat trendy but not TOO popular. [name]Do[/name] you like any of these?

I have to say I also consider the name unusable. There are tons of other classics like [name]Charles[/name] that you could use instead. I would immediately think of the Peanuts character, and it’s definitely not something that’s going to disappear anytime soon. [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Brown[/name] is really iconically American, and to name your child [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Brown[/name] would be kind of like naming him [name]Michael[/name] [name]Jackson[/name] or some other equally famous name.

Ditto!

Other names that you might like that go with [name]Logan[/name]:
[name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Archer[/name] nn [name]Archie[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name] nn [name]Tommy[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name]
[name]Toby[/name]
[name]Connor[/name]

Good luck!

Aw, poor you! [name]Charlie[/name] is an adorable name, but I’m sorry to say that the teasing would be endless. “[name]Hi[/name], what’s your name?” “[name]Charlie[/name] [name]Brown[/name].” “Come again?” would happen to your son many times a day. It’s just a headache that would become horrible to deal with. I’m a kid, and all my friends know and love the character, btw, so Peanuts isn’t vanishing. Like [name]Pam[/name] said, we’ll help you find an even cuter name! It’s a shame, though. :frowning: Good luck :slight_smile:

Sorry, I absolutely agree that the name [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Brown[/name] is immediately associated with the cartoon character - it’s an iconic cartoon, still published in the papers today. And all little kids still watch the [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Brown[/name] [name]Christmas[/name] specials on TV. Some names do lose their associations with the famous name-holder, but some never do, especially if the famous character has an iconic status. I’m sure your child would end up wanting to go by [name]Charles[/name] instead of [name]Charlie[/name] in the end - but when he would be school age, the teasing would still be an issue.
What about a name like [name]Henry[/name], which has a somewhat similar sound and is also a classic, traditional boys name? [name]Henry[/name] also sounds sweet on a little boy, but ages well as a grown-up, masculine name. [name]Just[/name] a thought.

I just wanted to add that I also like the suggestions posted in a previous comment of a name like [name]Archer[/name] that could be shortened to [name]Archie[/name], or the name [name]Thomas[/name] ([name]Tommy[/name]).

I would avoid anything with color associations. [name]Hunter[/name] and [name]Jett[/name] are on that list. I never fully thought about how difficult it would be to name a child with a last name that was also a color. Hmmmmm I suppose it would be like naming my child [name]Jerry[/name], [name]Terry[/name], or [name]Carrie[/name]. (my last name is [name]Perry[/name])