How do you pronounce Katherine?

See the results of this poll: How do you pronounce Katherine and Katharine?

Respondents: 43 (This poll is closed)

• Katherine as kath-eh-rinn, with a subtle middle and three syllables: 12 (28%)
  • Katherine as kath-rinn, with two syllables: 15 (35%)
  • Katharine as kath-a-rinn, with a subtle middle and three syllables: 12 (28%)
  • Katharine as kath-rinn, with two syllables. : 3 (7%)
  • None of the above: 1 (2%)

I think I pronounce them all Kath-rinn. I mean, the middle is soooooo subtle, but then I say [name]Kathryn[/name] without it for sure. I don’t say [name]Katherine[/name] and [name]Katharine[/name] different from one another, but there’s almost no middle syllable, [name]Kathryn[/name] definitely has no middle syllable.

On a side note, I was a little stunned the other day to re-realize my name is a variant of [name]Katherine[/name]. It’s something I know academically, but I don’t think about it, and I was like, whoa. My name definitely cuts to the chase - no middle syllable, not even a TH or T. Efficient (prn Eeeee-fishent).

Back to the issue, does everyone say it with a hard TH, like Bath, or do some people say it with a soft th, like gather? The hard TH is how it is just a T in names like [name]Katerina[/name] - which I definitely enunciate different than [name]Katrina[/name].

Thanks for your reply, [name]Karen[/name]! :slight_smile: I didn’t realize that your name is a form of [name]Katherine[/name]! Interesting! :slight_smile:

Have a great night (or day)! :slight_smile:

Yep, it was one of the first things I learned about my name way back. However, I had gone on the misapprehension that my name was a Greek form from when I looked it up when I was about 5 - but it goes like this: [name]Catherine[/name] is derived from Greek terms at the root, and [name]Karen[/name] is the Danish variation. I just never look up my own name, so I just learned this a few days ago. Kind of stupid to love names for so long and be wrong about my own name for many of those years.

I know this isn’t your question, but I remember my mom rejecting [name]Katherine[/name] for my younger sister (she was considering sticking to K names, but could not find one she liked) on account of a [name]Catherine[/name] a little older than me living next door. Now that I think about it, it would be weird, and yet as I grew a little older, met another family up the block with a [name]Kathy[/name] and a [name]Karen[/name], very close in age. I think they seem different enough and yet they are the same name. Not the way I would go.

I was looking these things up last week as I had briefly considered deciding to go by [name]Kate[/name], and wondering if that would be too far a stretch, as there’s no T in my name. Plus I really like my name (I know hardly anyone else does!), but I love [name]Kate[/name] too. I might just be too old to start listening for a different name if I can even dare to introduce myself by it, and nicknames I’ve tried in the past just never seem to take off.

I think [name]Katherine[/name] is a fabulous name, but I guess I would have been a [name]Kathy[/name] not a [name]Kate[/name] at my age, so thank goodness for small favors - I just never liked [name]Kathy[/name], prefer [name]Kat[/name] or [name]Kit[/name] or [name]Kate[/name], or even [name]Trina[/name] (similar to [name]Margaret[/name]'s [name]Greta[/name] to me). I think I prefer it with a C, [name]Catherine[/name]. I love so many foreign variations of it too - they all sound so exotic and lovely. If you are going to ask about [name]Margaret[/name] next, I say [name]Mar[/name]-gret, or almost [name]Mar[/name]-grit (as opposed to Marg-ret or Marg-uh-rit, etc). Right or wrong, the g doesn’t hang on the end of the first syllable but is subtly placed at the beginning of the second, and there is no middle syllable. The gret part is closer to grit; I would put a schwa there to indicate it’s neither ET nor IT. You know, just in case you were going to ask next week.

You’re not the only one, [name]Jill[/name]. I’m the same.

[name]Katherine[/name] = kath-uh-rinn (with a barely there middle syllable)
[name]Katharine[/name] = kath-a-rinn (with a barely there middle syllable)
[name]Kathryn[/name] = kath-rinn

Woo-hoo! Thanks, [name]Elea[/name]. :slight_smile: I feel better knowing I’m not the only one!

Take care and thanks again! :slight_smile:

[name]Karen[/name], I can start calling you [name]Kate[/name] if you want! You can test the waters here on Nameberry. :slight_smile: Thanks for the [name]Margaret[/name] alert! :slight_smile:

Take care!

I have a [name]Catherine[/name] of my own, and I say it with three syllables, although the middle is very subtle. I also say [name]Margaret[/name] with three syllables - MARG-uh-ret. [name]Love[/name] both names!

[name]Ailsa[/name]!!! I’ve missed you! :slight_smile: I forgot you had a [name]Catherine[/name], and I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. Did you vote? Which virtual prize would you like?

Take care, [name]Red[/name]! :slight_smile:

I typically pronounce it Kath-rinn. The middle “e” seems a bit cumbersome to me.

I actually voted none of the above, as I tend to say Kath-er-inn. But if it’s spelled [name]Katharine[/name], I pronounce it Kath-uh-rinn, and for [name]Kathryn[/name], I pronounce it Kath-rinn. Haha thanks for this thread, I never realized how essentially the same name can be pronounced so differently.

Here’s a question for you that has caused many a debate with people in my life. I’m from [name]Indiana[/name] and I don’t know if it’s my “accent” or what but how do you pronounce [name]Cary[/name] vs. [name]Kerry[/name]? While I obviously recognize the two different vowels, I pronounce them the exact same, and can’t bring myself to pronounce either differently, it’s too awkward.

I pronounce [name]Cary[/name] like the name “[name]Carrie[/name],” just like I’ve always heard [name]Cary[/name] [name]Grant[/name]'s name pronounced, and I pronounce [name]Kerry[/name] like the name “[name]Carrie[/name],” just like I’ve always heard [name]John[/name] [name]Kerry[/name] pronounce his name. So, I also pronounce them the same way, because that’s how I’ve heard [name]Cary[/name] [name]Grant[/name]'s and [name]John[/name] [name]Kerry[/name]'s name pronounced by the media and by loved ones in interviews.

I actually pronounce the [name]Katherine[/name]/[name]Katharine[/name] names a bit like you do! I guess I was mostly looking for the whole three syllables vs. two syllables answer. I have you down as a three-er! :slight_smile: Thank you so much for your reply, Ladybug! I really appreciated it!

Have a good day!

That’s pretty much how I do it too.

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Christy[/name]! Thanks so much for your answer…I appreciated your comment, and you’re eligible for a virtual prize. :slight_smile: (You all are, by the way!

Take care!

I pronounce [name]Cary[/name] like the name “[name]Carrie[/name],” just like I’ve always heard [name]Cary[/name] [name]Grant[/name]'s name pronounced, and I pronounce [name]Kerry[/name] like the name “[name]Carrie[/name],” just like I’ve always heard [name]John[/name] [name]Kerry[/name] pronounce his name. So, I also pronounce them the same way, because that’s how I’ve heard [name]Cary[/name] [name]Grant[/name]'s and [name]John[/name] [name]Kerry[/name]'s name pronounced by the media and by loved ones in interviews.

I actually pronounce the [name]Katherine[/name]/[name]Katharine[/name] names a bit like you do! I guess I was mostly looking for the whole three syllables vs. two syllables answer. I have you down as a three-er! :slight_smile: Thank you so much for your reply, Ladybug! I really appreciated it!

Have a good day![/quote]

well I’m glad I’m not the only oddball. I think my friends are just weird. My best friend is named [name]Cary[/name] and pn it like Care-ee (sorry, I’m so horrible with phonetic spellings) and says that [name]Kerry[/name] is pronounced (kehr-ree). She and another friend from the east coast both say these are the correct pronunciations because they are “different names” and the vowels totally change the pronunciation. Um, yea, sure. Hahah. They also say [name]Erin[/name] and [name]Aaron[/name] are pronounced differently, but not in my world they aren’t :wink: But then again I think ya’ll is a legitimate word and use phrases like honky-dory and kattie-corner, so clearly I am not an expert on language.

I pronounce [name]Kerry[/name] and [name]Cary[/name]/[name]Carrie[/name] differently, and [name]Erin[/name] and [name]Aaron[/name]. I don’t say “care-y” either, but I don’t know how I would explain otherwise - they are spelled just like they sound! Supposed to be, anyway. :slight_smile:

Canadianne, I somehow missed your post! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on this thread, and don’t forget to select a virtual gift. :slight_smile:

Have a great night!

I pronounce [name]Katherine[/name] nd [name]Kathryn[/name] Kath-rinn. And i alway shave. Kath-eh-rin or Kath-a-rin seem like to much to me. It makes the name seem like its trying to hard. Kath-rin is beautiful to me while Kath-eh-rin (or any other 3 syllable variations) seem to try to hard and not flow as nicely. Not to mention i always really consider [name]Katherine[/name] and [name]Kathryn[/name] to be the same name. [name]Just[/name] spelt diffrently.

And [name]Carry[/name], [name]Carrie[/name], [name]Kerry[/name], [name]Kerrie[/name], all of those are pronounced the same to me too. Care-e. However [name]Erin[/name] and [name]Aaron[/name] are pronounced diffrently in my mind. [name]Erin[/name] is [name]Air[/name]-in while [name]Aaron[/name] is [name]Air[/name]-on.

I say all of them as “KATH-rinn”

I’ll take the M&M’s! :slight_smile:

Whoo Hoo, thanks!

I’ve always said Kath-e-rinn or Kath-a-rinn as well! I couldn’t find your post on [name]Elizabeth[/name]…can I ask how you pronounce it? I started wondering about different ways people might say/hear the name after reading today’s blog…