How do you pronounce Lionel?

The tital says it all! [name_m]Just[/name_m] curious as to the most common pronunciation! (I’m in the US, if you could include where you are from, that would be helpful!)

love love love [name_u]Lionel[/name_u]!
I say it sort of like lie-uh-nel. I’m from Greece but my [name_f]English[/name_f] teacher was British and I learnt from her, if that helps :grin:

2 Likes

I’m from the US and the best way I can describe how I pronounce it is LIE-uh-nuhl.

2 Likes

Lye-uh-nuhl, like the word lion and then straight to an L with very little vowel between them (and I’m [name_f]English[/name_f]).

3 Likes

Exactly like @rosepip described (I’m [name_f]English[/name_f] too)

2 Likes

Ditto.

1 Like

I pronounce it like lie-null (I’m from the UK)

2 Likes

Either Lie-null or Lie-un-null.

2 Likes

American (Midwest) : ly-uh-nul

2 Likes

Also like @rosepip said, also from the UK

2 Likes

lie-nul or lee-oh-nel

I’m in the US. I would say lie-nul if I met a kid in the US with the name, but I say ‘lee-oh-nel’ when talking about [name_u]Lionel[/name_u] Messi.

1 Like

what @rosepip said, and from [name_f]Canada[/name_f]!

1 Like

Lee-oh-nell if I’m talking about [name_u]Lionel[/name_u] Messi and also if I met anyone out on the street with that name as I’m in Mexico

Lie-oh-nell if it’s [name_u]Lionel[/name_u] [name_m]Richie[/name_m]

2 Likes

Lie-null

2 Likes

Okay I actually might have to correct my comment. I read it out quite literally but once I actually say it, it’s more like leh-oh-nell. I just said it out loud a few times and the i (ee sound) really changes to an e (eh) sound

I reckon that’s even how Messi says it and that’s why his nickname is actually [name_m]Leo[/name_m] and not [name_m]Lio[/name_m]. It makes no sense to change the ‘i’ to an ‘e’ but we do that :joy:

Ps. I just asked my brother and father to say his name and they also say Leh-oh-nell

1 Like

Lye-uh-nul

2 Likes

Lie-null (US)

1 Like

Lie-null, I’m from the northeast US!

1 Like

LYE-uh-nul

I like it! I’m surprised it hasn’t seen much of a revival, considering the popularity of the “[name_m]Leo[/name_m]” names generally.

2 Likes

LIE-nul. I’m in Australia but I know a British [name_u]Lionel[/name_u] and that’s how he pronounces it.

1 Like