How do you pronounce Maia?

Thanks

like my-uh, same as i would pronounce maya.

7 Likes

I pronounced it the same as [name_f]Maya[/name_f] (My-uh).

3 Likes

My-uh, like [name_f]Maya[/name_f]. [name_m]Just[/name_m] out of curiosity, what other pronunciations are there?

1 Like

MY-uh

2 Likes

May-uh perhaps?

That seems less intuitive to me but I can see that pronunciation, thanks!

1 Like

I pronounce it as My-a, but with the y sound flowing into the a a bit more so it doesn’t have he slightly stronger end of the y that I would use if it was [name_f]Mya[/name_f] or [name_f]Maya[/name_f] pronounced with the ‘I’ sound.

2 Likes

Like maya

My-uh

2 Likes

My-uh

with [name_f]Maya[/name_f] i’m never sure whether to say My-uh or May-uh but with [name_f]Maia[/name_f] I always say my-uh

2 Likes

my-uh, the same way i pronounce maya and mya

2 Likes

Mah-yuh - pretty similar to my-uh, I just add the y to the second syllable which makes the name feel a little more drawn out compared to how I’d pronounce [name_f]Mya[/name_f].

1 Like

my-uh, same as [name_f]Maya[/name_f] & [name_f]Mya[/name_f]

2 Likes

I know some [name_f]Maya[/name_f] and Maias who pronounce their name My-ah, and some Mayas who pronounce their name May-ah. So if I see this one I would need to ask which pronunciation they use.

A few years ago my default pronunciation would have been My-ah, but I have since met several young May-ahs. I’m wondering if the pronunciation may be going through a generational shift to May-ah (though both are common). I also wonder if it may be regional.

I see the 2 spellings [name_f]Maia[/name_f] and [name_f]Maya[/name_f] as interchangeable rather than different pronunciations.

1 Like

I gave you this problem, didn’t I? :joy:
My-uh

1 Like

I lean towards pronouncing it MIE-uh. However, my best friend’s niece is a [name_f]Maia[/name_f] pronounced MAY-uh and that has grown on me. If it makes any difference, I’m from the US and they’re from the UK.

1 Like

I usually pronounc [name_f]Maia[/name_f] - MY-uh
And I pronounce [name_f]Maya[/name_f] - May-uh or MY-uh

1 Like

MY-uh

1 Like

Also MY-uh (same as [name_f]Maya[/name_f] and Mya).

1 Like