How to pronounce Annika

Would you pronounce [name_f]Annika[/name_f] with an A as in [name_f]Anne[/name_f], or A as in [name_f]Dawn[/name_f]?

I’ve never heard it with an A as in [name_f]Dawn[/name_f]. Huh.

Anyway, my instinct would be to use A as in [name_f]Anne[/name_f], but the [name_f]Annika[/name_f] I know pronounces it so it rhymes with [name_f]Monica[/name_f].

One of my close friends is an [name_f]Annika[/name_f]. Hers is pronounced with an A as in [name_f]Anne[/name_f]. I don’t think I’ve ever met an [name_f]Annika[/name_f] pronounced the other way but in my opinion both are beautiful :slight_smile:

I use the ‘a’ from [name_f]Dawn[/name_f], I don’t know any native English speakers with that name so perhaps that’d explain the difference for me.

@diyena yeah, that’s basically what I meant when I said A as in [name_f]Dawn[/name_f]. Thanks for the rhyme!! [name_f]Annika[/name_f] to rhyme with [name_f]Monica[/name_f] is better way to say it. :slight_smile:

[name_m]How[/name_m] about other Berries? Would you say [name_f]Annika[/name_f] with a flat A like in [name_f]Ann[/name_f] or pan? or would you say [name_f]Annika[/name_f] as in rhymes with [name_f]Monica[/name_f]?

I’ve always heard it like the A in [name_f]Dawn[/name_f]- Onn-ik-a.

Wait… how do you all pronounce [name_f]Dawn[/name_f]? For me, it rhymes with yawn, not [name_m]John[/name_m]. So Dawnika wouldn’t rhyme with [name_f]Monica[/name_f]. Right? :confused:

The only [name_f]Annika[/name_f] I’ve met says it as Ahn-nik-uh. One of my friends knows an [name_f]Annika[/name_f] who says it as An-nik-uh.

Here, we pronounce it [name_f]ANN[/name_f]-ih-kuh – and that is how I’ve heard it pronounced throughout my entire childhood whilst watching [name_f]Pippi[/name_f] Långstrump in Swedish as well.

Most names starting with ‘A’ I say like the A in apple. So I’d say [name_f]Anne[/name_f]-ih-kuh, that’s how the [name_f]Annika[/name_f] I know says her name.

http://nl.forvo.com/search/annika/sv/
That’s not [name_f]ANN[/name_f]-ih-kuh… I believe.

I was just surprised since I was at least sure that I got the Swedish version down right until you said that xD

With the A in [name_f]Anne[/name_f], so like [name_f]Anne[/name_f]-ih-ka.

I know a little girl with this name. I first said it “[name_f]Anne[/name_f]-eh-kah” But she corrected me and said it was Aw-ni-kah. I think the name is prettier that way, personally.

Oh, okay! So that’s part of the problem. For me in [name_u]California[/name_u] the vowel sound in [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] and the vowel sound in [name_f]Monica[/name_f] are nearly identical. “Awn” and “On” are different, but only barely so. [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] & [name_m]Don[/name_m] cannot usually be heard as different from each other here! The vowel sound in [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] is longer by the barest fraction that in [name_m]Don[/name_m]. Basically, here, Dawnika & [name_f]Monica[/name_f] [name_f]DO[/name_f] rhyme.

But [name_f]Anne[/name_f] to me is a very flat A. I don’t know if you say [name_f]Anne[/name_f], stand, tacky with the same flat A sound, but I do. So I’m trying to see if people say [name_f]Annika[/name_f] with a flat A - or an open, wider A.

^ Well, that explains things. :cool: Now I feel bad for people named [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] who move from non-merged to merged areas. “Why is everyone calling me [name_m]Don[/name_m]?!?!”

That is still how I phonetically would spell [name_f]Annika[/name_f], but [name_f]Ann[/name_f] is also pronounced differently in Scandinavia from how it is pronounced in English. I will give that it’s probably more [name_f]ANN[/name_f]-ih-kah than [name_f]ANN[/name_f]-ih-kuh, but I also mess up in those uh’s and ah’s because to me they almost sound exactly the same (at least for a [name_u]Dane[/name_u], they sound alike) :slight_smile:

I’ve only every heard Onn-ih-ka. I’m getting a little confused on the [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] vs [name_m]John[/name_m]… ? They sound identical to me.

Now I’m sitting here saying [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] and [name_m]John[/name_m] over and over! :smiley:

I have a friend named [name_f]Annika[/name_f]…the way she says it rhymes with [name_f]Monica[/name_f].

This spelling, ann-ih-kuh. I had a friend who spelled it [name_f]Aneka[/name_f] and pronounced it aw-ni-kuh, so that’s how I would spell it for that. Although, the three years I went to school with her, only one teacher guessed the pronunciation right on the first try. It was usually ann-ih-kuh or uh-NEE-kuh.