I love so many girls’ names and their variants! Which is your favorite? 🌼

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone! I’ve been thinking of several names I love for little girls recently. The variants are equally adorable, if not more so. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like any names that fall into this category? What are your favorites?

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Lottie[/name_f], or [name_m]Charlie[/name_m]? (I have such a hard time choosing a favorite for this set!)

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Elsa[/name_f], [name_f]Elsbeth[/name_f], or [name_f]Elsie[/name_f]?

Alternative for M@argaret (because the full name isn’t for me, and my mom strongly dislikes her name, so she goes by her middle name instead. She has mentioned liking some of these though. I love them all so it’s hard to choose just one.)

[name_f]Daisy[/name_f], [name_f]Greta[/name_f], [name_f]Molly[/name_f], [name_f]Margot[/name_f], or [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]?

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Nora[/name_f], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_f]Lenora[/name_f], [name_f]Leni[/name_f], [name_f]Elena[/name_f], or [name_f]Eleanora[/name_f]?

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite name for a long time was [name_f]Nora[/name_f]. I still love it, but I’m unable to use it because my best friend used something very similar. So now I’m just very happy when I see others use it!

[name_f]Katherine[/name_f], [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f], or [name_f]Kate[/name_f]?

It likely comes as no surprise that my favorite name in this set is [name_f]Kate[/name_f]!

If you don’t mind, I’d love some help potentially narrowing these down! Suggestions are always welcome and appreciated.

Thank you so much!

:butterfly::white_heart:

2 Likes

here are my favorites <3
just based on my personal preference!

charlotte / molly & daisy / lenora & leni & eleanora
kate

eta: elsbeth!!

1 Like

Some of these are so difficult !! :sweat_smile: I would say…

[name_f]Lottie[/name_f], because she’s a little more unexpected and whimsical than [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and [name_m]Charlie[/name_m]!
[name_f]Elsbeth[/name_f], since you can still call her [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] & [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], and she has the elegance of [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Molly[/name_f] / [name_f]Greta[/name_f] – I truly couldn’t decide! They’re both really sweet and cozy names :yellow_heart:
[name_f]Leni[/name_f], she’s so fun and spunky on her own!
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f], because I love her sweet ending, and she gives you both [name_f]Kate[/name_f] and some more out-there nicknames like [name_f]Lena[/name_f]!

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorites…

1. [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] (I have the same issue between [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], but I think I’ve decided they sound different enough to keep both!)

2. [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] (love [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] too, would use it as Elizabeth’s nickname!)

3. [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], but it’s a hard decision!

4. [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]

5. [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] (and [name_f]Kate[/name_f] could be a nickname!)

1 Like

Faves -
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Greta[/name_f] (prefer [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] but not as a stand-alone, only as a nickname). The sparkly [name_f]Magali[/name_f] nn [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] would be my fave [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] alternative, also love [name_f]Gretchen[/name_f], [name_f]Gretel[/name_f]. [name_f]Peggy[/name_f].
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and [name_f]Eleanora[/name_f] both lovely but would probably land on [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. [name_f]Nell[/name_f] is a common nn I love.
[name_f]Kate[/name_f]

1 Like

@clair.de.lune Thank you so much! I’m really loving [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] lately. I’m honestly surprised that I don’t know anyone with the name, and it’s so beautiful! It’s classic, but not a name I hear often, even though it’s popular here on Nameberry.

I really love [name_f]Molly[/name_f] as an honor for my mom and late grandmother, and [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] for my mom, and because daisies are my favorite flower. Both names are very meaningful to me, while also being so spunky and sweet!

[name_f]Leni[/name_f] is just sweet! I love how bright it sounds! [name_f]Lenora[/name_f] and [name_f]Eleanora[/name_f] are more unexpected than [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f].

I think there is something special about the simplicity of [name_f]Kate[/name_f], and I recently saw the name [name_f]Elsbeth[/name_f] and liked it.

Thank you again!

1 Like

Of yours, these would be my pick:

[name_f]Lottie[/name_f] (sweet, fun and warm)
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] (spiky and elegant)
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] (stylish and vintage)
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f] (sorry, couldn’t narrow it down!)
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] (I like the classic, understated elegance)
[name_f]Leni[/name_f] (quirky and charming)
[name_f]Kate[/name_f] (classic but sparky)

Other variants of your names that I like:

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]: [name_f]Libby[/name_f], [name_f]Beth[/name_f], [name_f]Eilis[/name_f], [name_f]Betsy[/name_f], [name_f]Isobel[/name_f], [name_f]Ishbel[/name_f], [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]: [name_f]Elora[/name_f], [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f], [name_f]Lenore[/name_f], [name_f]Nell[/name_f]

[name_f]Katherine[/name_f]: [name_f]Katri[/name_f], [name_f]Kitty[/name_f], [name_f]Kaia[/name_f], [name_f]Katrin[/name_f]

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite variant names:

[name_f]Sarai[/name_f], [name_f]Zara[/name_f], [name_f]Zadie[/name_f]

[name_f]Adele[/name_f], [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], [name_f]Adelia[/name_f], [name_f]Adelina[/name_f], [name_f]Adelie[/name_f], [name_f]Ada[/name_f]

[name_f]Mabli[/name_f], [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], [name_f]Amabel[/name_f]

[name_f]Anouk[/name_f], [name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Annika[/name_f], [name_f]Anya[/name_f], [name_f]Nancy[/name_f]

[name_f]Ginevra[/name_f], [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], [name_f]Geneva[/name_f], [name_f]Gwen[/name_f]

[name_f]Isolde[/name_f], [name_f]Yseult[/name_f], [name_f]Isotta[/name_f]

[name_f]Maren[/name_f], [name_f]Miriam[/name_f], [name_f]May[/name_f], [name_f]Mitzi[/name_f]

[name_f]Eve[/name_f], [name_f]Eva[/name_f], [name_f]Evelina[/name_f]

2 Likes

@tallemaja Thank you so much! I have been loving [name_f]Lottie[/name_f]! I used to be on the fence about it. But there’s an US Olympian who named her daughter [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. She calls her [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] instead of [name_m]Charlie[/name_m]. The baby is so sweet, she made me love the nickname. But part of me also thinks I could maybe get away with using [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] as a full name?! What do you think?

You make a very good point about [name_f]Elsbeth[/name_f] that I hadn’t thought about.

I know, there are so many sweet options for this one, which makes it so hard!

[name_f]Leni[/name_f] is amazing on its own.

I love [name_f]Lena[/name_f] too, and I had never thought about it asa nickname for [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] with the ending. I think [name_f]Kate[/name_f] might have some connection now!

Thank you again!

1 Like

[name_f]Lottie[/name_f] in the top 100 in [name_f]England[/name_f], [name_f]Scotland[/name_f], and [name_f]Ireland[/name_f], so it’s definitely usable on its own! And it’s not too different from something like [name_f]Lily[/name_f] or [name_f]Lola[/name_f], both of which get plenty of use in the US. I don’t think there’s a reason why just [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] wouldn’t work! :blossom:

1 Like

@EagleEyes Thank you so much! I have this issue with [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] also! I almost included [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] here for that reason. It’s funny because I prefer [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] pronounce with the -line ending, and [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] / [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f] with the -lyn ending.

I love your idea with [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] nn. [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]! I do think [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] as a standalone is still my favorite, but I love the versatility of [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. I think the other options are fun!

I really love [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]! I just think it’s sweet and fun!

Summary

It is my dad’s nickname for my mom so I’m hesitant to use it for that reason, but in a way, I also see it as a way of honoring them both? Especially if I used [name_f]Skye[/name_f] or [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] as the middle name, since my dad and both his parents were in the [name_f]Air[/name_f] Force. Trying to think of other female aviators to honor him too, but I’m loving the idea of [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] [name_f]Skye[/name_f]. :heart::face_holding_back_tears:

I absolutely love [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and only know one person who named her daughter that! She loves when kids have the same/similar names or nicknames to her kids, so I don’t think that one would be an issue!

[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] n. [name_f]Kate[/name_f] is adorable!

Thank you again!

Here are my personal favorites:

I like [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] the most. [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] is cute and a fun nickname that can be used on its own, but I see it as a bit nickname-y for me. I am not a fan of [name_m]Charlie[/name_m] on a girl… I know it’s becoming rather common, but it seems very harsh and masculine to me still.

I think [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] is the prettiest and I am not bothered by the Frozen association! [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] nn [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] would be my favorite, though. :slight_smile:

[name_f]Greta[/name_f] is a really nice and underrated name; I feel like it really hits that sweet spot of familiar but not common.

[name_f]Lenora[/name_f] is my favorite of your options, although I slightly prefer [name_f]Lenore[/name_f] but that’s just me. It feels fresh and ready for revival.

I really love simple, sweet, and spunky [name_f]Kate[/name_f] on its own! I have known quite a few “just” Kates and it confuses me sometimes when people online say it’s too nickname-y.

1 Like

@Lula-Rose Thank you so much! I love all your choices so much! I do understand your preference for [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] as the nickname for M@argaret as opposed to the standalone name. I always forget about [name_f]Nell[/name_f] for [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]! [name_f]Kate[/name_f] just makes me happy. :smiling_face:

Thank you again!

@Greyblue Thank you so much! You have given me lots to think about! [name_m]Ellis[/name_m] was my late paternal grandfather’s name, and I was very close to him. I don’t think his name has been used by other family members. I could definitely see myself using it for either gender, but especially a little girl.

Please don’t be sorry for not being able to choose between [name_f]Margot[/name_f] and [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]. I know many people think [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] is too cute/immature, and doesn’t age well, but I disagree. It’s a name that brings me so much joy. And it’s a name that I would love to have myself. I’m not named after a flower, but I would love to have been!

In addition to [name_m]Ellis[/name_m], from your suggestions, I love [name_f]Kaia[/name_f] and [name_f]Isobel[/name_f].

From your favorite variant names, these stick out to me most:

[name_f]Sarai[/name_f]
[name_f]Zara[/name_f]
[name_f]Ada[/name_f] :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::face_holding_back_tears:
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_f]Amabel[/name_f] (I don’t think I’ve ever seen this, and it’s so sweet!)
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Anya[/name_f]
[name_f]Annika[/name_f]
[name_f]Maren[/name_f]
[name_f]Eve[/name_f]
[name_f]Eva[/name_f] +
[name_f]Evelina[/name_f]

Thank you again!

1 Like

@tallemaja Thank you! I’m in the US, so I wasn’t sure if it was as usable here. I love [name_f]Lily[/name_f] and [name_f]Lola[/name_f]. I know [name_f]Lola[/name_f] has an unfortunate meaning, but I think the background on it is important and people often miss that. Please correct me if I’m wrong on any of this, but I know it is a nickname for [name_f]Delores[/name_f]. From what I understand, the meaning of “sorrow “ is a reference to the Virgin [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and the idea that something beautiful can come out of difficult circumstances and experiences. If this is the case, I’m OK with the meaning of [name_f]Lola[/name_f], and love the name more than I already did.

Thank you again!

1 Like

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] or [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]

1 Like

@Youssarian Thank you so much! I completely understand why [name_m]Charlie[/name_m] seems too masculine for a girl. I’m not sure why, but I like it more on a girl than a boy, although I like it for either gender. The more I sit with [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], the more I love it! I think my mom has a cousin with the name. They’re not close and we’re not in close proximity to her. I think I’ve met her once, possibly twice, so none of that would deter me from using the name. As far as [name_f]Lottie[/name_f], I understand what you mean. It was a name I was unsure about until recently. I have a formal name and a nickname, and I like having options. So maybe [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] nn. [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] would work well. But would I regret giving a daughter a formal name if I only used the nickname? It’s something I think about because I rarely use my full name.

[name_f]Elsa[/name_f] is beautiful, and I love that it is a [name_m]German[/name_m] name since my late grandma, who the name would honor, was [name_m]German[/name_m]. I used to think it was too Frozen, but my grandma and [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] from pretty incredible namesakes. (My grandma’s name was M@ry, but her middle name was [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], and my middle name is [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. I also have an aunt with the same middle name. So I like the idea of passing the name down, but giving my daughter something that is her own, even if it needs to be explained.

[name_f]Lenora[/name_f] is just a joyful name to me! I agree with you completely about [name_f]Kate[/name_f]!

Thank you again!

1 Like

@hdspeich Thank you so much! I really love [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]! [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], or [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] are too connected to the Royals? (I’m in the US.)

Thank you again!

From your choices, my favourites are:

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] with nn [name_f]Lottie[/name_f]

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] (though I prefer the [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] spelling)

[name_f]Greta[/name_f] (or other variations like [name_f]Gretel[/name_f] and Gretchen)

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] (my favourite nn for it is [name_f]Nell[/name_f], but my husband isn’t one for using nicknames so our [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is always just [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], and I do love it in full).

[name_f]Katherine[/name_f] nn [name_f]Kate[/name_f], but I would also be thrilled to see [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] on a little girl.

1 Like

@Chococat Thank you so much! [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] n. [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] is just so sweet! I love that your daughter is [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] in full. [name_f]My[/name_f] family is full of nickname people, so she would inevitably receive one. But that’s OK, because I like nicknames. [name_f]Nell[/name_f] is such a cute nickname for it.

Your comment about [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] makes me smile! I know a girl my age whose full name is K@thleen, but she goes by K@tie most of the time. And her mom sometimes calls her K@te!

I think [name_f]Greta[/name_f] is so spunky and fun.

Thank you again!

If i had to pick just one I’d say [name_f]Lottie[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Molly[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f].

1 Like