I want to change start going by a nickname from my first name. Should I go with "Mae" or "Polly" from "Mary"?

I’m 35 for reference. Not legally changing my first name, but I’d like to start using a nickname. I don’t like “Mary” and I’ve never felt like a “Mary”.

edit: Would something like “Emy” or “Emmy” be off based from “Mary”?

1 Like

[name_f]Mae[/name_f] is really nice!

1 Like

Both work well, it really depends on what you like best! They’re both sweet nicknames that work well on any age. I personally slightly prefer [name_f]Mae[/name_f] but it’s about what feels more like you.

Hard to decide without knowing which one feels/seems more you, but I do love [name_f]Polly[/name_f]

[name_f]Mae[/name_f]! It is my nickname and I love it so much! It also seems more intuitive for [name_f]Mary[/name_f]!

I like [name_f]Mae[/name_f] better.

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] is beautiful too.

I like [name_f]Mae[/name_f] more. Really sweet! Also just M is cool too.

lol it’s hard! I’m not sure how to figure out which one is more me

1 Like

I’m trying to find out which one feels more like me! lol it’s hard

1 Like

What’s it short for? That’s awesome you like it!

1 Like

[name_f]Megan[/name_f]. :blush: (Not the most intuitive, but in the south [name_f]Megan[/name_f] becomes “MAY-guhn” :joy:)

I recommend testing them out before you commit to something! Maybe use either [name_f]Polly[/name_f] or [name_f]Mae[/name_f] as your name on social media somewhere, or use it when you order a coffee and they ask for your name, etc, etc.

Nice! How long have you gone by May/Mae?

1 Like

[name_f]Adore[/name_f] [name_f]Polly[/name_f]!

It’s just with family. It started when I was a toddler because my best friend couldn’t say [name_f]Megan[/name_f] and called me May-May instead.

mae :two_hearts:

[name_f]May[/name_f] (this spelling), otherwise I think [name_f]Polly[/name_f] is super cute!

I can imagine! They do give me slightly different vibes - [name_f]Polly[/name_f] feels warmer, zippy and vintage, it’s got sweetness and charm but also a thread of mischief and sass. [name_f]Mae[/name_f] feels quieter - but quietly confident - gentle but packs a punch!
Not sure if that helps in any way - best of luck!

I think realistically, you can only get names like [name_f]Mae[/name_f] and [name_f]Mare[/name_f] from [name_f]Mary[/name_f] without it actually being a name change. I don’t think people will get the connection with names like [name_f]Polly[/name_f]. It just sounds like you are trying to buy a whole different name. On the brightside, [name_f]Mary[/name_f] is a darling name! [name_m]Even[/name_m] if traditional

[name_f]Mae[/name_f] or [name_f]Emmy[/name_f] make the most sense to me coming from [name_f]Mary[/name_f], but [name_f]Mae[/name_f] has more of a mature sound to it in comparison to both [name_f]Emmy[/name_f] and [name_f]Polly[/name_f], so I can more easily see it on an adult. If not [name_f]Mae[/name_f], maybe [name_f]Em[/name_f] or [name_f]Emme[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Emmy[/name_f]? [name_f]Em[/name_f] would be really cool!