I'll Comment On Your Names: Multicultural

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] berries! This is another my-thoughts-on-your-names thread, but I thought I’d do one specifically open to multicultural names, since I saw in one of the threads multicultural names being dismissed because they were unfamiliar.

If you post in this thread, I will do my best to find the pronunciation of the name in order to comment effectively on it!
This is made specifically to cater to those not using Anglocentric names, but is completely open to all!

Open to anything, but I give better commentary on combos.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] you enjoy! :grin:

6 Likes

love this :two_hearts:
What do you think of Beyle (pronounced like “bella” but softer on both e’s!) & [name_u]Hali[/name_u]’a?
And as a fun little add— Margawse (basically “marGHOS”)?

1 Like

@lumosmaxima I adore Beyle!!! Far, far cooler than [name_f]Bella[/name_f] and the sound is just so adorable!
[name_u]Hali[/name_u]’a- I checked pronunciation and found both hah-lee-ah and hah-lee-ay— either way, I really like it! It’s not common, but the sound is familiar and I really enjoy it.
Margawse- I could see it as a fun middle, but I don’t love the ‘ghos’ sound as a first. Still very cool, though!

Altogether getting a very yellow-rainboots-in-the-puddles vibe!

1 Like

I would love to get some real commentary on some of my Irish names that don’t get as much attention on nameberry.

My favorites are Réaltán, [name_m]Mícheál[/name_m], Amargein, [name_f]Macha[/name_f], [name_m]Oisín[/name_m] and Neasa.

1 Like

Hali’a is like ha lee (lil stop like in uh oh) AH! I always imagine bouncing a ball when I say it :,)

Thank you so much! :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:
I agree about Margawse, I think it’s just really cool— she is a queen in Arthurian legend (though I think the real spelling is Morgause?)! It was definitely a fun find :sob:

1 Like

Mees (‘MAYS’)
Eise (‘EYE-suh’)
Merlijn (‘mer-LINE’)

Roos (‘ROSE’)

1 Like

I’d love some commentary on Ériu please :relaxed: Pronounced like “ey-roo”

Oh yay this makes me happy :sob: Could I have (all of these are for girls)

Azucena (ah-szoo-seh-nah)
[name_f]Betsabe[/name_f] (beht-sah-bee)
Atabey (ah-tah-bae)
Itziel (eet-zchee-ell, tell me if that’s makes sense :sweat_smile:)
Adairis (ah-tha-ee-dees) (The D is somewhere between a TH and a D if that makes sense)

Thank you so much!!!

I don’t have many names at the moment, but they are all multicultural. I’m eager to hear how they sound to an outsider’s ear if you have the time, because I’ve become quite “deaf” to how the names really sound if you’ve been looking at them for awhile.

[name_f]Caetana[/name_f]
Guiomar
Ruelma

[name_m]Duarte[/name_m]

@GenevieveReine
Réaltán- the pronunciation I found was RAIL-taahn (first syllable rhymes with pale, second with lawn). I like it! It’s spunky-sounding and bright, with a cool twist because of the accents.
[name_m]Mícheál[/name_m]- I found the pronunciation mee-hell, with a slightly “ch” sound on the h. I really enjoy that! The “ch-h” in the middle is quite fun to say.
Amargein- the pronounciation I found being ah-VEER-yin, I adore this! The sound of Amargein is so cool and fits right in with your other Irish gems. Very fun name!
[name_f]Macha[/name_f]- I found both MAK-uh (first syllable rhymes with crack) and MACH-uh (first syllable rhymes with thatch). I much prefer the MAK-uh pronunciation, but both are very cool. [name_f]Macha[/name_f] pronounced MAK-uh would make such a cool first!
[name_m]Oisín[/name_m]- really in love with this (assuming it’s pronounced o-sheen). The sound is ridiculously cool, and I think this is going on my list!
Neasa- I found the pronunciation Ness-uh. This is my least favorite. Next to gems such as [name_m]Oisín[/name_m] and Amargein, Neasa just doesn’t really compare? The -ess sound is unappealing to me.

Overall, I really enjoyed your names— I get salty spray against dark cliffs kind of vibes!

@Johanna

Mees- the sound of it is really cool!
Eise- I really like this! Saying it aloud makes me think of dark water and thick-rimmed glasses— a very enjoyable vibe!
Merlijn- wow! This one is very cool! It has an interesting look and a great sound— all in all, a 10/10 name.
[name_f]Roos[/name_f]- I like it, but I don’t love it? It doesn’t seem as special as Merlijn.

Your names give me very heavily wooded forests and checkered shirts vibes!

@halinka
I adore Ériu! It’s such a fun, cute name. Honestly, I think it may go on my list! It has the vibe of mud puddles and brownies :grin:

@leafygreens
Azucena- I’ve actually come across this one before! I like it a lot. The ‘sz’ sound in the middle is quite fun to say.
[name_f]Betsabe[/name_f]- I don’t enjoy it as much as Azucena, I’m afraid. There’s nothing particularly wrong with it, but the ‘be’ at the end is throwing me off of it for some reason.
Atabey- the ‘bae’ sound doesn’t really do it for me, sorry!
Itziel- I think I know what you’re trying to say, and I really like it! The sound is very cool and fun to say!
Adairis- I know what sound that is, and I do enjoy this a lot! The ‘r’ sounds (in their various pronunciations) make me very happy :grin:

3 Likes

Hello [name_f]Claudia[/name_f]! Could you comment on [name_u]Claude[/name_u] Abene?

Abene is a female Basque name pronounced uh-beh-neh.

Could you comment on Auxence ([name_m]Oaks[/name_m]-ans), Álvaro and Jorik ([name_f]Yo[/name_f]-reek)? Thank you.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on one or all of:
[name_m]Sulien[/name_m] (sill-yen)
[name_f]Veerle[/name_f] (vayr-la)
[name_f]Rivka[/name_f]
[name_f]Sanne[/name_f] (sawn-uh)
Zussya

@RGI

Seiya [name_m]Sargent[/name_m]- I’m a big fan of Seiya, which I’ve come across before— I think it has a nice, soft sound and it cool and unique while still being familiar. [name_m]Sargent[/name_m] I like less, and I’m not sure about the flow because both are two-syllable names with the stress on the first syllable.
Ryota [name_m]Dickson[/name_m]- the pronunciation I found was YOH-tah. I’m afraid I’m not very fond of it. The look is very cool, but the sound just isn’t very appealing. [name_m]Dickson[/name_m] is fine— in the middle spot I think it sounds a bit like a surname, but that’s not really a problem. The combo is really cool! I’m just not the biggest fan of Ryota.
[name_u]Akari[/name_u] [name_f]Ravenna[/name_f]- assuming the pronunciation of this is ah-KAR-ee, with a slight ‘dr’ sound (which is the pronunciation I found) I enjoy this one. [name_f]Ravenna[/name_f] is cool and interesting! [name_u]Akari[/name_u] is both bold and sweet. I like it!

@Mar
[name_f]Caetana[/name_f]- not sure about this one. I found both kai-TAHN-ah and SEE-tahn-ah for pronunciations. The former is… fine, but the latter is amazing. [name_f]Caetana[/name_f] (SEE-tahn-ah) is so, so cool and bright-sounding, and I dig it!
Guiomar- I found the pronunciation gee-oh-MAR with a slight ‘dr’ sound on the last ‘r.’ I actually really enjoy that! It gives me a very [name_u]Indiana[/name_u]-[name_m]Jones[/name_m] type vibe, which I quite like.
Ruelma- the pronunciation I found is roo-EL-mah. I’m sorry, I don’t really like it. It just seems a little heavy for me.
[name_m]Duarte[/name_m]- I found the pronunciation doo-AR-tay, with a ‘dr’ sound. I like it, but I don’t love it. It’s cool, and it’s nice, but it just doesn’t have the majesty of [name_f]Caetana[/name_f].

@acajou

Claude Abene- once again, a stunning [name_u]Claude[/name_u] combo from [name_f]Christine[/name_f], what’s new? :wink: I’ve really warmed to the idea of [name_u]Claude[/name_u] as a female name, and Abene complements it just perfectly. When I say it aloud, and combo is playful and fun, with seashore and hot food vibes. All in all, I like it!

@teddybearclub

Auxence- I’ve actually had this one on my list for a while now! It’s very cool and sharp-sounding. No other notes— I love it!
Álvaro- I found the pronounciation AHL-vah-ro, and I quite enjoy this. It has a cool, saturated sound that I really like. A
Jorik- I’m a big sucker for the j sound pronounced ‘y’— for some reason, I always seem to gravitate toward those names! Jorik has an amazingly interesting sound and I really enjoy it!

@lateaugust
[name_m]Sulien[/name_m]- wow, I’m really digging this! The sound of it is more than cool, and I can imagine it being said in… oh, I don’t know, a superhero movie? I love it!
[name_f]Veerle[/name_f]- this is very interesting! I like it a lot. I think I’m saying it wrong, but I know how it’s supposed to be said and I just can’t do it? I’m really enjoying it!
[name_f]Rivka[/name_f]- I’m saying REEV-kah. This has to be my favorite. It has such an awesome sound and I really adore it. I think I might even put this on my list!
[name_f]Sanne[/name_f]- another very interesting one! I like it, but it doesn’t make me jump up like [name_f]Rivka[/name_f] or [name_m]Sulien[/name_m]. It’s really nice, though!
Zussya- I couldn’t actually find any pronunciation on this, could you tell me how it’s said?

3 Likes

How about Ahyoka, Salali, and Agasga?

1 Like

@Paxramena

Ahyoka- big, big fan! I’ve come across this one before and I dig it! It’s the perfect balance of sharp and sweet.
Salali- I’m saying suh-LAH-lee. I like it! It seems wearable and interesting.
Agasga- the pronounciation I found was AH-gah-ska. I like it, but it lacks the “wow” of Salali. It’s sweet and seems familiar while being unique, though!

1 Like

Thank you for creating this thread!

Here are some I have on my list for girls:

Belen
[name_f]Magali[/name_f]
[name_f]Yamileth[/name_f]
[name_f]Sarai[/name_f]
[name_f]Xiomara[/name_f]

And here are some for boys:

Zenon
[name_m]Eliseo[/name_m]
Nasario ([name_f]My[/name_f] husband’s middle name is spelled this way, though I think it’s typically spelled [name_m]Nazario[/name_m]).
[name_m]Zacarias[/name_m]
[name_m]Luciano[/name_m]

Belen- the pronunciation I found was bay-LEHN. I really like it!! I thought it was going to be stressed on the first syllable, but said this way I’m really digging it. Very cool sound!
[name_f]Magali[/name_f]- I found the pronunciation my-geh-LEE. I like it. It’s cute and seems familiar and wearable.
[name_f]Yamileth[/name_f]- hmm, could you tel me how this one is pronounced? I don’t think I found the correct one.
[name_f]Sarai[/name_f]- longtime love of mine! [name_f]Sarai[/name_f] is so bright and sparky.
[name_f]Xiomara[/name_f]- I’ve come across this one a few times recently, and I have to say, it’s a bit lackluster. It’s pretty, but it’s doesn’t have the “WOW” factor for me.

Zenon- the pronunciation I found was ZEH-non. I really adore this! It has a very sleek and cool sound.
[name_m]Eliseo[/name_m]- I had this one my list forever! [name_m]Eliseo[/name_m] is so cool and charming! I actually met a little [name_m]Eliseo[/name_m], so it also seems perfectly wearable (not that I’m duding these names on wearability, just particularly about [name_m]Eliseo[/name_m])!
Nasario- wow!!! This is my favorite so far! I found the pronunciation nah-SAAR-ee-oh, and I quite enjoy this one. It has a remarkably fun vibe with retaining some of it shaper cool feel.
[name_m]Zacarias[/name_m]- I do like it, it’s handsome, but it just doesn’t really do it for me. Sorry! It still has that sharp coolness to it!
[name_m]Luciano[/name_m]- so many of your names have been on my list :wink: [name_m]Luciano[/name_m] is so strong and dashing. I adore this name (and the Pavarotti connection!)

You have a great list!!

1 Like

Hestia- I love it. The sound is very pretty and the Greek mythology connection is definitely a plus.
[name_m]Aran[/name_m]- I’m saying AH-ran, and I like it. It’s very charming.
[name_f]Embla[/name_f]- it’s cool, but I’ve never been a fan of Emb- names so this isn’t for me. It’s objectively wonderful though!