I'll translate your names into Icelandic

I thought this could be fun to do, so… Give me your favorite names or combos and I’ll translate them into Icelandic. I’ll use the Icelandic or Old Norse version of the name if it exists, look for a name with the same meaning or just the same vibe.
I’ll try and find a name that’s on the list of approved names in [name_f]Iceland[/name_f], but sometimes I might use a name that was rejected or just not on the list.
In [name_f]Iceland[/name_f] people don’t use middle names as such, a person can have two names but the name is considered a double barrel name. You can give me a combo that consists of more than two names, but know that in that case the combo would not be used in [name_f]Iceland[/name_f] like that.

Please limit yourself to three names or combos each, to keep it doable.

Credit to @Luminen :sparkles:

6 Likes

these are some of my favourite names. feel free to choose whatever feels easy for you!

singles

adèle
antoine (b)
tessa
claude (b)
penelope
vita
ofelia
héloïse
constance
prisca
cléo (g)
andrei (b)
irina
anya
aleksandr
léo
nolwenn (g)
[name_m]étienne[/name_m] (b)
arsinoë (g)
jules (b)

combos

tessa penelope
rivka aurora
lucie adélaïde

:partying_face: [name_m]Edwin[/name_m] and [name_f]Lumi[/name_f], please!

I’m going to switch it up a bit here.

[name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Astraea[/name_f] and [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] [name_f]Athena[/name_f] + [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] please! Thank you! :heart:

So excited for this! I would like to see [name_m]Borna[/name_m] [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] and [name_f]Dunja[/name_f] [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f], please!

I’d love to see what [name_f]Leia[/name_f] and [name_m]Mees[/name_m] could be in [name_f]Iceland[/name_f]

[name_m]Can[/name_m] you do [name_u]Romy[/name_u]

I’d love if you could do [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] and [name_f]Isla[/name_f] :slight_smile:

[name_f]Dagmar[/name_f] [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] [name_u]Storm[/name_u], [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_f]Hebe[/name_f] [name_f]Moon[/name_f] & Elisif [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] [name_u]Sun[/name_u] please :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

just my first names then :heartpulse:

persephone
aurembiaix
eurydice

@heartwings

[name_f]Lucie[/name_f] [name_f]Adélaïde[/name_f] → Lúsía Aðalheiður
[name_f]Rivka[/name_f] [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] → [name_f]Rikka[/name_f] Árora or [name_f]Rebekka[/name_f] Dögun (Dögun means “dawn”)
[name_u]Jules[/name_u] → Júlí

@Luminen

[name_m]Edwin[/name_m] → [name_m]Edvin[/name_m] or maybe even Edílon
[name_f]Lumi[/name_f] → Snæ or [name_m]Snær[/name_m] (both meaning snow, Snæ is unisex and [name_m]Snær[/name_m] is traditionally male, but since you can use any name for any gender in [name_f]Iceland[/name_f] now, I’ve included it).

@AStudyIn_Scarlet

[name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Astraea[/name_f] → Rós Stjarna (meaning star) or Rósý Stjarna to make it flow better :slightly_smiling_face:
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f] [name_f]Athena[/name_f] → Mjaðveig [name_f]Aþena[/name_f] or or Mey Atena (Mey purely based on sound/vibe)
[name_f]Hermione[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] → Hermína Jónea

@krijesnica

[name_m]Borna[/name_m] [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] → Borgar [name_m]Egill[/name_m] (based on sound) or Tandri Eðvar (Tandri means “to fight”)
[name_f]Dunja[/name_f] [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f] → Dúnna [name_f]Matthildur[/name_f]

@Johannaa

[name_f]Leia[/name_f] → [name_f]Lea[/name_f], Liljá or Líney (not sure why, but this has the same vibe to me)
[name_m]Mees[/name_m] → Mías or [name_m]Mosi[/name_m] (based on sound and vibe), or maybe Skíði (literally means “a kind of bird”, and if I’m not mistaken “mees” is a type of bird in [name_m]Dutch[/name_m], right?)

@Flores

[name_u]Romy[/name_u] → Róm or Róma, and based on sound maybe Rósný

@copper_porcupine

[name_u]Ezra[/name_u] → [name_u]Esra[/name_u], and based on sound: Esjar or Esmar
[name_f]Isla[/name_f] → Eyja (meaning island), Eylín or [name_f]Eydís[/name_f]

@Ruthvd

[name_f]Dagmar[/name_f] [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] [name_u]Storm[/name_u] → Dagmey Hanný Stormur or Dagmær [name_f]Hanna[/name_f] [name_f]Stormey[/name_f] (Stormur is traditionally masculine, but since you can use any name for any gender in [name_f]Iceland[/name_f] now…)
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_f]Hebe[/name_f] [name_f]Moon[/name_f] → Ófelía [name_f]Heba[/name_f] Máni (Máni means “moon” and is traditionally masculine)
Elisif [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] [name_u]Sun[/name_u] → [name_f]Ellisif[/name_f] Lúsía [name_f]Sunna[/name_f] or Elsabet Lúsía Eygló (means "always shining, referring to the sun) or Elínbet Lúcía [name_u]Sol[/name_u]

@rosepip

These were very difficult… :sweat_smile: All of them are based on sound and vibe

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] → maybe Petrún or [name_f]Petrea[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurembiaix[/name_f] → Árborg or Arinbjörg
[name_f]Eurydice[/name_f] → Evsebía or Eyjólflína

5 Likes

thank you so much !! sorry yes i figured mine might be weird

i love them though !! especially eyjólflína

1 Like

Amazing, thank you!

Could I see [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] [name_f]Tuesday[/name_f] please?

thank you so much :hearts: love them!

1 Like

this is so kind of you to do, thank you!!

I’ve already seen you talk about [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], so I’ll just do a few singles because I don’t need to include her this time :sweat_smile:

I’d love to see [name_f]Elanor[/name_f], [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], & [name_u]Willow[/name_u] (b) please, but if words are too hard to do, I can come back with more namelike names!!

just in case

If it helps, [name_f]Elanor[/name_f] is an elvish name meaning “sun star” and the name of a golden flower however please feel free to relate [name_f]Elanor[/name_f] to [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] if that’s easier!! :heart:

thank you again, and please take your time! :blush:

I’d love to see [name_f]Sarai[/name_f] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] or [name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] :heart:
Thank you!

I’m going to leave out the middles to keep it more realistic and just list my favorite names:

[name_f]Julietta[/name_f]
[name_u]Maz[/name_u] (short for [name_f]Mazarine[/name_f] )
[name_f]Inessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Aline[/name_f]
[name_f]Isola[/name_f]
[name_f]Arina[/name_f]
[name_f]Esmeralda[/name_f]
[name_f]Enid[/name_f]

[name_m]Eneas[/name_m]
[name_u]Leo[/name_u]
[name_m]Lear[/name_m]
[name_m]Casimir[/name_m]
[name_m]Eugene[/name_m]
[name_m]Dante[/name_m]
[name_m]Silvan[/name_m]
[name_m]Antony[/name_m]

I’m loving these threads, thank you for doing this! [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] & [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], please :grin:

Thsnk you for doing this!

[name_m]Can[/name_m] do you [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_u]Raine[/name_u]?

I’d love to see what [name_m]Oisín[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_u]Jude[/name_u] and [name_f]Helena[/name_f] [name_u]Joan[/name_u] [name_f]Linnet[/name_f] would be, I have a feeling I might know what you’ll pick for [name_m]Oisín[/name_m] :grin: