I'll translate your names into Icelandic

These are cool! I’d love to see [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f], [name_f]Juno[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], [name_u]Hazel[/name_u], [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], [name_m]Atticus[/name_m], [name_u]Atlas[/name_u], [name_m]Elio[/name_m], and [name_m]Evander[/name_m].
Is this way too many?

thank you for doing this! if you have time, i’d love to see evangeline + thomas :blush:

@katinka

[name_f]Ramona[/name_f] [name_f]Tuesday[/name_f] → Ramóna [name_m]Dagur[/name_m] or Ramóna Dagný
I had a hard time finding a translation for [name_f]Tuesday[/name_f]. We’re big on word names, but unfortunately days of the week aren’t used as names and I couldn’t find anything that sounded similar.

@regionlatbest

[name_f]Elanor[/name_f] → Náttsól (means “night sun” and reminded me of the meaning “sun star”) or based on sound Elenóra
[name_f]Marigold[/name_f] → Mariola or Marólína (based on sound and vibe)
[name_u]Willow[/name_u] (b) → Víðir (means “willow tree” and is traditionally male)

@janeybaby

[name_f]Julietta[/name_f] → Júlíetta
[name_f]Aline[/name_f] → Alína
[name_f]Isola[/name_f] → Íssól
[name_m]Eugene[/name_m] → Evgeníus
[name_m]Lear[/name_m] → Lér or Hlér

I didn’t do all of them because I don’t have the time and asked for three names each, I hope that’s okay

@futuremama

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] → [name_m]Theódór[/name_m] or Þórður (the second one is more common)
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] → Febína (there isn’t a single variant of [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] on the list of approved names, but this variant was in use at some point in the early 1900’s)

@Strawberry.Bunny

[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_u]Raine[/name_u] → Ófelía Regn or maybe Ófelía Yrja (means “drizzling rain”), or Ófelía Regína (based on [name_u]Raine[/name_u] meaning “queen”)

@GenevieveReine

[name_m]Oisín[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_u]Jude[/name_u] → Hjörtur Tumas Júlí :grin: or Dýri Tómas Júlí (both Hjörtur and Dýri mean deer, I couldn’t find an actual Icelandic variant of [name_u]Jude[/name_u] so I went with something based on sound and vibe).
[name_f]Helena[/name_f] [name_u]Joan[/name_u] [name_f]Linnet[/name_f] → Elená Jóanna Linddís

@Larryisalittledog

[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] → Silfá or Silvía
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] → [name_f]Beata[/name_f]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] → Brúnn (meaning “brown”) or Ámr
[name_m]Elio[/name_m] → Elí (based on sound) or [name_u]Sol[/name_u] (meaning “sun”)
[name_u]Atlas[/name_u] → [name_m]Atli[/name_m]

I didn’t do all of them because I don’t have enough time. I might come back to the other ones later.

@daisymeadows

[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] → Evelía or [name_u]Evan[/name_u] (the last one is not currently on the list as an approved name, but has been used as a female name)
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] → Tumas or Tómas (Tómas is very common, while Tumas is barely used, which I think is a shame :wink:)

6 Likes

The names you did were fine and I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Especially am now interested in:
Júlíetta
Lér
Íssól

Icelandic is truly majestic

1 Like

thank you!! they’re gorgeous names. i especially really love evelía! :heartpulse:

1 Like

@Rosebeth Thank you so much! These are beautiful. I’m so sorry that I asked for so many, I completely missed the part that said up to 3 names. Don’t worry about getting to the other names if you don’t have time.

1 Like

ester lucia
ines adriana
tristano sirio

thanks in advance!

I’ll use this opportunity to list some of my unpaired favorites!

[name_f]May[/name_f] I see [name_f]Juno[/name_f], [name_f]Saskia[/name_f], and [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] (g)?

i love these so much! could i have one for meabh, cecily, and antigone?

@alessia810

[name_f]Ester[/name_f] [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] → Esí Lúsía or Stjarna Lúsía (based on [name_f]Ester[/name_f] meaning “star”)
[name_f]Ines[/name_f] [name_f]Adriana[/name_f] → Ínes Addý or [name_f]Agnes[/name_f] Adríanna or [name_f]Agna[/name_f] Adríana
[name_m]Tristano[/name_m] Sirio → Tístran Sírnir (Sírnir is based on sound, it actually means “lazy”) or Tístran Sviði (it means “to burn”, which is related to the meaning of Sirius)

@SparkleNinja18

[name_f]Juno[/name_f] → Júní or Júnía (based on sound), Nýr (means “young” or “new moon”, traditionally male but I think it would be pretty cool on a girl)
[name_f]Saskia[/name_f] → [name_f]Salka[/name_f] or [name_f]Sasi[/name_f] (both based on sound)
[name_u]Atlas[/name_u] (g) → [name_f]Atla[/name_f] or maybe Atalía

@Ellory

[name_f]Meabh[/name_f] → Mjaðveig (from medb “intoxicating” and veig “strength, power”) or Mey (based on sound and vibe)
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f] → Seselía or Cecilía
[name_f]Antigone[/name_f] → Auðgísl (traditionally male - I had to dig deep for this one :sweat_smile: Based on the second part of [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] meaning “offspring”, the same as old Norse “gisl”)

2 Likes

thank you so much! those names are so cool… especially loving mjaðveig, seselía, and auðgísl!

1 Like

I would love to see Ruby, Mari & Alora! Thank you in advance!

So interesting! Would love:

[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]
[name_m]Lysander[/name_m]

@midnight.melody

[name_u]Ruby[/name_u] → Rúbý is the Icelandic spelling. [name_u]Or[/name_u] maybe Bína (short form of Rubina) or, based on sound, Runný or Rúna
[name_f]Mari[/name_f] → Marey (based on sound), [name_f]María[/name_f] or [name_u]Marin[/name_u] (Marí is also used)
[name_f]Alora[/name_f] → Alrún or Alpa (based on sound and vibe)

@tonguetwisted

[name_u]Ocean[/name_u] → Hafsjór or Hlér (both mean "ocean), maybe also Ægir (means “ocean” or “sea giant”)
[name_f]Meadow[/name_f] → Vinjar (means “meadow”, traditionally male)
[name_u]Briar[/name_u] → Þorn or Þyrnir (they both mean “thorn” because the briar plant reminds me of thorns)

@billie_154

[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] → Feldís or Gæfa (meaning “luck”)
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] → Róslind or Róslinda, I also thought of Róslín
[name_m]Lysander[/name_m] → Lindar or Líus

3 Likes

Oh, how phenomenal. I’d love to see my own name, please! [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

So cool!

I’d love to see your Icelandic version of my beloved [name_u]Jack[/name_u] [name_u]Peregrine[/name_u], [name_u]Henry[/name_u] [name_m]Alastair[/name_m], [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] and [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f],

could you please do charlotte delilah, penelope hazel and vivienne winslet? thank you so much for doing this, no problem if you don’t have time :slightly_smiling_face:

@snowmaiden

[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] → Brúnn Elsabet (Brúnn means “brown”) or Álmar [name_f]Elísabet[/name_f] (Álmar is traditionally male and means “brownish” or “elm tree”)

@UnderTheRainbow

[name_u]Jack[/name_u] [name_u]Peregrine[/name_u] → [name_m]Jaki[/name_m] Hafliði (it means “sea traveler”, which related to the meaning of Peregrine)
[name_u]Henry[/name_u] [name_m]Alastair[/name_m] → Harrý [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] or Áleifur (based on sound and vibe)
[name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] → [name_f]Jana[/name_f] Mariola or Marólína
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] → Melasól [name_f]Matthildur[/name_f] (Melasól means “arctic poppy”)

@wintergarden

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] → [name_f]Karlotta[/name_f] Delía or [name_f]Charlotta[/name_f] Diljá
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] → Vífill Brúnn (Vífill means “weaver”, which is a possible meaning of [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], and Brúnn means “brown”) or Penný Brúnn
[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] [name_f]Winslet[/name_f] → [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] Gusi (Gusi means “to stream out” which is related to the meaning of [name_f]Winslet[/name_f]. It took me a while to find this one :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

[name_u]Love[/name_u] those combos!! [name_f]Jana[/name_f] Mariola is :heart::heart::heart::heart: the whole combo is pretty usable in Spain

1 Like

[name_f]May[/name_f] I please have:

[name_f]Heidi[/name_f] [name_f]Susannah[/name_f]

[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] [name_f]Eve[/name_f]

[name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Diana[/name_f]

Thank you, [name_f]Rosi[/name_f]! :iceland::heart: