India Margaret?

What do you think of the combination “[name]India[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]”?

Spectacular. [name]India[/name] is an interesting name for me, because it seems at once British and traditional and modern and bohemian. [name]Margaret[/name] grounds it very nicely.

I love it! exotic and gorgeous!

I can’t get behind [name]India[/name] as a name, but I love [name]Margaret[/name]. What about [name]Indira[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]?

I love it! What a great name! I love [name]India[/name], I love [name]Margaret[/name], but most of all I love the combination – one a touch exotic, the other so classic (at least in my culture). I think they contrast well.

Great, great choice!

Wow! Thanks for all the great responses! I’m glad everyone likes it. :slight_smile:

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Indira[/name], but [name]India[/name] has such a special meaning for us (full story: I’m American, he’s Australian…we met during a whale watching tour in Queensland (where I was a college student at the time) and started dating. Thanks to a terrible misunderstanding, we broke up and completely cut off contact with each other…until he literally ran into me in an [name]Indian[/name] market 3 years later). I absolutely love that story :slight_smile:

[name]Just[/name] curious, but does anyone know the meaning behind the name “[name]India[/name]” (if it has one at all)? I’d love to know.

I like the name [name]India[/name], though I couldn’t use it because I have no ties to [name]India[/name] or [name]Indian[/name] culture. But it’s very pretty and I loved your story! So sweet. Since [name]India[/name] is a place name, it technically doesn’t have a meaning. However, the country [name]India[/name]'s name derives from the word Indus (also a river), which is the Old Persian word for Hindu (courtesy of Wikipedia). Not sure if that gives any more meaning to the name for you, but it’s interesting to know where the word comes from. The name came into use in the 19th Century during the British [name]Rule[/name] of [name]India[/name], in reference to the country. [name]Hope[/name] that helps!

Like it. Flows well and has nice meaning for you. I think [name]India[/name] means “body of water” but is basically the name of the country which is named after the Indus [name]River[/name] apparently!

[name]India[/name] [name]Margaret[/name], is a beautiful combination.

Freckles and Minuette - Thank you so much! I guess the river connection could mean something. I’m a marine biologist and my husband and I both love water (after all, we met on a whale watching tour! [name]How[/name] nerdy can it get?), so it would be fitting, espicially if it means “body of water”. Thanks again! I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s comments.

Knocks my socks off. That’s got to be the best name I’ve heard, possibly ever. Your story makes it even better. I’m a little jealous over here.

Wow, I was just thinking about [name]India[/name] like an hour ago! An actress on a show i watch is named [name]India[/name] Eisley and I saw it in the credits and thought, “wow, what a cool name!” so I looked up who it was and turns out she’s one of my faves on the show! And she’s super gorgeous. My exact thought was “Of course it’s her. She’s the prettiest AND she has the best name! That’s the kind of name I want to use”

So, until that happened (an hour ago) i never really cared for [name]India[/name] as a name. But now I think it’s awesome! And [name]India[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] is a perfect combo, I don’t know how it could possibly get better than that! And your story? So great! Honestly, even if it was some crazy weird name, your story would make it awesome. Luckily it’s not! Oh, have you seen Sex and the City 2? Your story reminds me a whole lot of that!

Eplj - You just made my week! I literally danced after reading your comment. To be honest, I thought everybody would hate “[name]India[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]”…so glad it’s the other way around! Thank you so much!

[name]Lyndsay[/name] - Oh, I’ve been waiting for somebody to make a Sex and the City reference. You should have seen our faces during the movie…we’re still convinced they wrote that scene for us. In fact, he jokingly called me “[name]Carrie[/name]” for weeks. :wink: And yes ladies…my husband went to see SATC2 with me — how lucky am I! It makes me love him even more (if that’s possible). :slight_smile:

Any more takers? I’d love to hear your opinions! (And secretly I’m hoping [name]Pam[/name], [name]Linda[/name], [name]Susan[/name] or [name]Lemon[/name] will chime in…just kidding!)

[name]India[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] sounds very much like [name]Indian[/name] market - was that intentional too? I very much like names with special, personal meaning. Neat that you found one for your daughter.

Did you hear that [name]Harvey[/name] Weinstein and Marchesa designer [name]Georgina[/name] Chapman just had an [name]India[/name]?

m2b - Good gracious, I hadn’t even thought of that. [name]Just[/name] makes me love the name more… :slight_smile: But could the whole “india market” sound be a problem?

phoebesmom - I saw the announcement but I don’t know who [name]Harvey[/name] and [name]Georgina[/name] are. Should I be worried about it getting super-popular?

[name]Harvey[/name] Weinsten is the studio head of Miramax production company (and probably hundreds of other ventures that I am not aware of.) [name]Georgina[/name] Chapman is the owner and designer of Marchesa, a couture fashion house that dresses lots of celebs for major events. I don’t think they are likely to start a big naming trend, as they aren’t much-photographed celebs, but I would take it as a sign that [name]India[/name] is in impeccable taste. :slight_smile:

[name]How[/name] about not changing the pronounciation but the spelling so it isn’t so literal, such as
[name]Indiah[/name]
Indyah

[name]Margaret[/name] has always sounded stuffy and burdensome to me, but it does round out the whole name.

I REALLY like [name]India[/name]. The more I read the two names together they start to grow on me. I wasn’t sure about [name]Margaret[/name] at first. Her whole name sounds very unique and flows well.

Hey, everyone! Thanks for your replies. :slight_smile:

Well, baby girl is due next week (!) and we’re having a bit of a name crisis. We still love [name]India[/name] [name]Margaret[/name], but hubby is starting to consider “[name]Elsa[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]”…and, well, I’m so confused I don’t know what to do.

Which do you prefer: [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] or [name]India[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]?

Thanks in advance!